Trolls (or not)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Trolls (or not)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A few general comments here.

• Just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn't necessarily make them a troll.

• Just because someone has a "brash" or direct way of commenting or speaking their mind, that too, does not necessarily make them a troll.

• Posting for the sole purpose of instilling anger, fear, insults, etc., that does, indeed, make someone a troll - even if only for a short while.

I am not at all proud of the 22,000+ posts I've made here. It shows that I spend too much time online (which I do). Undoubtedly, at least a few dozen of those posts were "troll like" for which I sincerely apologize. I have a quick temper and overreact sometimes, as well as having little patience for idiotic chatter. Still, overall, it's not a bad percentage of troll to non-troll posts.

To those I may have offended and will no doubt offend again someday, I truly apologize. I wish more people on this board were big enough to do the same when they are acting like arse holes.

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Re: Trolls (or not)

Post by Robert Randolph »

Well, when you're a moderator (as you are MLC), nobody can put you on ignore. You also have PMs turned off, so if someone wants to have a private discussion with you to hash out any issues.... it's not possible.

So even though an apology is nice, you should hold yourself to a higher standard if you think you have exhibited unwarranted behaviour.

I'm not commenting on whether I agree about the whole troll thing or not. I'm just pointing out a small bit of info you may not be aware of.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
... as well as having little patience for idiotic chatter.

I wish more people on this board were big enough to do the same when they are acting like arse holes.

Well, um... that... is not the worst apology I've ever read. :)

I think we can make a distinction between intentional and unintentional trolling.

The former is more purposeful and wants to get any reaction as a way of helping the troll to
*feel superior/powerful
*get attention
*watch others squirm
*vent unrelated anger
*etc.

The latter is just when posts are disrespectful with no specific purpose. They are often the result of laziness, carelessness, thoughtlessness-- and (IMHO) making negative assumptions about another persons intentions-- assuming the worst.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I knew I could count on at least one of you guys. And heck, if you want to contact me I have a web site, but I also have a life.

FWIW, I moderate the composing section only and don't need advice on how to implement that.

I hold myself to very high standards in the real (musical) world (did I mention I have a web site?) but this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Thank you as well, stubbsonic. I appreciate your contribution.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Well, I for one come here for the abuse! (oh, wait, is that supposed to be Mr. Barnard in room 12? :oops: )
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:A few general comments here.

• Just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn't necessarily make them a troll.

• Just because someone has a "brash" or direct way of commenting or speaking their mind, that too, does not necessarily make them a troll.

• Posting for the sole purpose of instilling anger, fear, insults, etc., that does, indeed, make someone a troll - even if only for a short while.

I am not at all proud of the 22,000+ posts I've made here. It shows that I spend too much time online (which I do). Undoubtedly, at least a few dozen of those posts were "troll like" for which I sincerely apologize. I have a quick temper and overreact sometimes, as well as having little patience for idiotic chatter. Still, overall, it's not a bad percentage of troll to non-troll posts.

To those I may have offended and will no doubt offend again someday, I truly apologize. I wish more people on this board were big enough to do the same when they are acting like arse holes.

Nice man!!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Robert Randolph wrote:Well, when you're a moderator (as you are MLC), nobody can put you on ignore. You also have PMs turned off, so if someone wants to have a private discussion with you to hash out any issues.... it's not possible.

So even though an apology is nice, you should hold yourself to a higher standard if you think you have exhibited unwarranted behaviour.

I'm not commenting on whether I agree about the whole troll thing or not. I'm just pointing out a small bit of info you may not be aware of.
Telling him to hold himself to a higher standard while he is holding out an olive branch is totally inappropriate, cold, unwarranted and UNconstructive. I take what he wrote at face value and appreciated it. You must be perfect Robert?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Robert Randolph

It appears that my comment was taken completely wrong. Please read the last line if you think I'm criticizing him in any way.

I was simply trying to let MLC know that it's not possible for other people to deal with him the same way they deal with other forum members. So if he thinks that he's misbehaving in some way, then he should be aware of that inequality.

I have no opinion at all on the topic other than trying to inform MLC about 2 specific features of the forum as it relates to his post.
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:FWIW, I moderate the composing section only and don't need advice on how to implement that.
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you, so let me try to clarify a bit more.

There is an ignore feature on the forum (friend/foe). This allows users to put someone as a 'foe' if they do not wish to see that person's post. This feature does not work on admins or moderators. You are a moderator. It applies across the entire forum.

For 99.9% of the forum members, if someone is behaving in a negative manner; we can just put them on ignore. That does not apply to you. Nobody can put you on ignore.

I'm just trying to let you know that if you feel your behaviour is unwarranted sometimes, then you should be aware of that specific forum functionality.

Same with PMs. If someone wants to even reply to messages you send on the forum, it doesn't appear to be possible. Let alone initiate a conversation with you.

These things may factor in to your reasonings for writing the OP. This is in no way a commentary by me on the topic.
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm always happy to discuss anything within forum policy in an open, online format. I'm sorry you can't block me as you apparently have tried and failed. I'll add you to my block list. And even then, I still scan blocked members posts from time to time.

Thanks, you other guys.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Is this a joke? I'm so confused right now.

It's like people are just reading a handful of words from my posts and filling in the rest with their imagination.

p.s. I've never tried to block anyone on this forum. I just happen to admin a rather large phpBB3 based forum, so I am rather familiar with how the software functions.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I know I am highly opinionated. And I know I can be short (my brain chemistry is weird, I have Crohn's and diabetes, and I drink too much coffee), and come off a little edgy.

But that's not trolling. I am a 25 year user of MOTU products, and I do my best to share my little knowledge to help others... or, on my bad days, cut through some bullsh••. I do this out of a love of the products, and I consider myself a largely positive member of this community. I try to answer questions, try to help solve problems, try to alert the community to News We Can Use.

Trolls, on the other hand, rarely if ever participate in an existing thread, but always start their own. Those threads are invariably negative in nature, designed to foment argument, and often stab away at the same personal gored oxen. When challenged, a troll uses a standard bag of defensive tricks: Poor Me, Just Keeping It Real, I'm No Fanboy, I Heard You Guys Were a Bunch Of Jerks... anything to deflect attention. In the end, the troll starts sending private messages designed to split the forum into factions pro-Troll and anti-Troll.

When the best ones just can't keep it up any more, they start their own forums, which consist mostly of bad-mouthing the one they came from and die off in a few months.

I will be the first to tell you if I think you're full of it, but I am here for the advancement of DP and MOTU... not to start fights. You have my solemn promise that I will stop poking TDH.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Robert Randolph wrote:There is an ignore feature on the forum (friend/foe). This allows users to put someone as a 'foe' if they do not wish to see that person's post. This feature does not work on admins or moderators. You are a moderator. It applies across the entire forum.
Interesting. I was not aware of that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm always happy to discuss anything within forum policy in an open, online format. I'm sorry you can't block me as you apparently have tried and failed. I'll add you to my block list. And even then, I still scan blocked members posts from time to time.

Thanks, you other guys.
I don't think you understood that Robert didn't get the past tense and 12 posts part of your story and thought you were considering current behavior or what not...

In general this forum doesn't have trolls. People are just pretty emotional about their opinions at times. I suppose that could be a form of unintentional trolling? :lol: but I don't think anyone here who regularly visits is doing it because they have no life and want to stir the pot.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Musicians… an unstable and insecure lot. Just ask my analyst. :wink: