Trolls (or not)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Trolls (or not)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

HCMarkus wrote:Musicians… an unstable and insecure lot. Just ask my analyst. :wink:
Does he/she makes studio calls? I'd hate for my wife to know I'm in therapy. She's said for years that I needed it. Lol.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I guess it depends on your definition of troll. Just for the record, we've had our share of trolls here. James has done a good job of identifying them and has appropriately dispatched the offenders. (Shh. There may be some lurking. Be vewy, vewy quiet.)

My own view on trolling, is that it is ALL intentional. So there's no such thing (in my definition) as an unintentional troll. If someone is short with you, or is on a rant about something, or is in general displaying extreme frustration, it's not necessarily a troll. Perhaps their frustration is justified (or not), or maybe they're just having a bad day. In any case, I believe the word troll in its internet context connotes malicious intent.

I've never considered you (MLC) a troll here or have I ever thought of your posts as being troll-like. You speak your mind and sometimes that ruffles feathers (admit it, you have ruffled some feathers), but I don't believe your intent has ever been to cause trouble here. I think I've been guilty of the same at times. Hey, we're human. Just sayin.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

I don't try to ruffle feathers but I do tend to try and pluck 'em out sometimes. That's only when a comment just can't fly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Phil O wrote: My own view on trolling, is that it is ALL intentional. So there's no such thing (in my definition) as an unintentional troll.
In any case, I believe the word troll in its internet context connotes malicious intent.

Phil
That's a totally fair point, Phil. In another thread the term "troll" or "trolling" was used to refer to MOTUnation regulars or their posts-- perhaps just as a figure of speech to refer to the kind of emotional escalation that surrounded their posts. I think the folks who used those terms were assuming that the "trollish" behavior was deliberate.

Feeling like a victim, being completely misunderstood, or having your motives turned upside-down is one side of coin. On the other side, one is impatient, is overly suspicious, or mis-reads someone's intentions, is impatient with "idiots", or is failing to listen carefully. I'm afraid those are pretty universal human qualities. We can only all try our best, and admit when we have room to grow.

The general quality of helpfulness and kindness on this forum is excellent. And when everyone is doing their best (not just the moderators-- but all participants) we get a good quality experience here.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't try to ruffle feathers but I do tend to try and pluck 'em out sometimes. That's only when a comment just can't fly.

Agreed! Sump times you can be a real plucker but always love-able in your unique way,never troll moment imo. :)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

kgdrum wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't try to ruffle feathers but I do tend to try and pluck 'em out sometimes. That's only when a comment just can't fly.

Agreed! Sump times you can be a real plucker but always love-able in your unique way,never troll moment imo. :)
High praise from a fellow island sump dweller. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Phil O wrote: My own view on trolling, is that it is ALL intentional. So there's no such thing (in my definition) as an unintentional troll. If someone is short with you, or is on a rant about something, or is in general displaying extreme frustration, it's not necessarily a troll. Perhaps their frustration is justified (or not), or maybe they're just having a bad day. In any case, I believe the word troll in its internet context connotes malicious intent.
There was a guy on the Ableton forums that spent well over a year writing these long posts about how Ableton was a toy and not a real piece of software because of the quality of the 8 bit sample conversion. I'm not kidding, he spent pages and threads ranting because the in Live conversion of his crappy 8 bit samples from this prosumer dictation recorder (with built in mic) to 24 bit wasn't "high quality". He would read arcane bits of audifile books and supposed experts etc. then attempt to use this to justify his unrealistic expectations. Just enough personal issues to not see how his original problem wasn't a real problem but not enough to curb his ego from hammering away at it for months on end. That, is the definition of an unintentional troll. The same end behavior without the original malicious intent.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I sort of see your point, but someone who hasn't figured out that they are trolling after months of trolling has some issues.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

So does someone who knows they're trolling.

In most cases, the troll is completely aware. It's the forum they live in that hasn't figured it out... usually because we all generally want to be nice people and get along. Nobody likes to confront someone by saying, "Hey, I figured out you're just being a jerk."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Gravity Jim wrote:So does someone who knows they're trolling.

In most cases, the troll is completely aware. It's the forum they live in that hasn't figured it out... usually because we all generally want to be nice people and get along. Nobody likes to confront someone by saying, "Hey, I figured out you're just being a jerk."

Dang! We're not supposed to call someone on their poop?

Several names come to mind. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS