Corp responsibility to report serious bugs to public?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Corp responsibility to report serious bugs to public?

Post by Gravity Jim »

toodamnhip wrote: SO on the one hand, I do nothing here but get pissed off and gripe.
Fixed.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote:Hopefully MOTU fixes this stuff soon.

And I thoroughly disagree with some Nation members here stating that a major plug in co. like Waves can just be “discounted as problematic”, “shut off”, “pulled out” etc....or that their plug ins are somehow written badly. Give me a break. Waves is a MAJOR plug in that just HAS to work in any DAW. It is my understanding that “under the hood”, it is DP that makes problems for plug in and VI manufacturers, due to certain unique archetectures .
toodamnhip wrote: You asked about confirming, the bug, and while it isn;t the focus of what I wanted to say, The bug was technically acknowledged by developers at another company. Not by MOTU in my memory. Now, of course, MOTU may or may not be the important company here, depends where the bug lies. But it really matters not. It is confirmed. There was even another post about this bug elsewhere, a few times I believe.
If you ever wonder why people have a hard time with your rants it's all right there.
You've assumed it's MOTU who are at fault. You refuse to even question the stability of Waves, but MOTU are open season. Yet in the end you can admit you don't know...

Don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just pointing out why it seems (to you) you get picked on.

And believe me I get being angry and frustrated about bugs for sure.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Gravity Jim wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: SO on the one hand, I do nothing here but get pissed off and gripe.
Fixed.
So one user responds to the joking spirit with which I posted saying I'm clever which is cool, and then we have someone like Jim who changes my playful words to make them worse. The only reason I saw your post Jim is because I looked at it from my phone and it somehow didn't block you. I don't like how you attack me here Jim and that is why I ignore your posts.
I think it wise for you to block my posts Jim and not comment on my posts. And will do the same with yours. My respect for James offers you this solution. Take advantage of it.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Michael Canavan wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Hopefully MOTU fixes this stuff soon.

And I thoroughly disagree with some Nation members here stating that a major plug in co. like Waves can just be “discounted as problematic”, “shut off”, “pulled out” etc....or that their plug ins are somehow written badly. Give me a break. Waves is a MAJOR plug in that just HAS to work in any DAW. It is my understanding that “under the hood”, it is DP that makes problems for plug in and VI manufacturers, due to certain unique archetectures .
toodamnhip wrote: You asked about confirming, the bug, and while it isn;t the focus of what I wanted to say, The bug was technically acknowledged by developers at another company. Not by MOTU in my memory. Now, of course, MOTU may or may not be the important company here, depends where the bug lies. But it really matters not. It is confirmed. There was even another post about this bug elsewhere, a few times I believe.
If you ever wonder why people have a hard time with your rants it's all right there.
You've assumed it's MOTU who are at fault. You refuse to even question the stability of Waves, but MOTU are open season. Yet in the end you can admit you don't know...

Don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just pointing out why it seems (to you) you get picked on.

And believe me I get being angry and frustrated about bugs for sure.
My hands are tied by agreements I have with other companies so that I cannot disclose my sources, I am sorry for that. I just received additional verification yesterday that the bug is indeed with MOTU. I did not write the laws that make people unable to speak freely in certain corporate environments. If you don't want to believe me, don't. But I cannot disclose my sources.
I keep having to make the same point over and over, it is not about this one particular bug. I wish all the companies were more forthcoming about bugs. That is my issue. If it will make you happy, I will tell you that MOTU is not the only company that it is not forthcoming enough. Believe me, I am letting this issue be known in all environments where appropriate, not just Motu. But if anyone insists on making this thread about the bug in particular, the fault lies with Motu and effects many other plug-ins that have similar issues. There is something going on inside of Digital performer that is messing up not just Waves but other plug-ins as well. I have many plug in libraries, they are all hit and miss when it comes to automation with Digital performer. I have been at this a long time, I know what I am talking about. I'm sorry if I don't communicate it in a way you guys like or that you can understand. To be honest I would rather not be the harbinger of bad tidings. Tell you what, let's have MOTU fix it's automation issues and I won't have to talk about it anymore LOL.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

... I'm sorry if I don't communicate it in a way you guys like or that you can understand. To be honest I would rather not be the harbinger of bad tidings...
Say what? Your threads usually start off with some variation of "the sky is falling!". You do like to be the harbinger of bad things and then act with outrage when people don't jump on your bandwagon and panic. You are remarkably consistent in this regard.

I'm pretty certain that I'm not alone when my first reaction on seeing that you've started a thread is, "What is he pissed off at now?" You could try toning it down ... Nah.... That wouldn't be you.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

mikehalloran wrote:
... I'm sorry if I don't communicate it in a way you guys like or that you can understand. To be honest I would rather not be the harbinger of bad tidings...
Say what? Your threads usually start off with some variation of "the sky is falling!". You do like to be the harbinger of bad things and then act with outrage when people don't jump on your bandwagon and panic. You are remarkably consistent in this regard.

I'm pretty certain that I'm not alone when my first reaction on seeing that you've started a thread is, "What is he pissed off at now?" You could try toning it down ... Nah.... That wouldn't be you.
Indeed.

"I really hate being the bearer of bad news. That's why I took a job telling people their sons had been killed in action."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ugh.

Jeeez. Pile off, guys.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Well ok nation-ites.
I'm done with this thread and now that I stop ruffling the peace around here, I am sure mute automation and other major bugs will just fix themselves and everyone will live in bliss.
You see, you can all badger me until I'm tired of responding and DP will still be broken. Let's see how the more eloquent among you get it fixed. I'm watching.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

stubbsonic wrote:Ugh.

Jeeez. Pile off, guys.
This.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Jeeez. Pile off, guys.
You're kidding, right?

DP isn't "broken." It lacks something TDH wants and will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT. This is not how you approach a software company if you genuinely want a feature implemented. Why the hell would they listen to him? And why would they listen to him HERE?

The idea that he offered to be MOTU's "liaison" is laughable. Yeah, that's just what they want: an angry, dismissive troll representing them to plug-in makers.

It's like this, stubb: "toodamnhip" (even his screen name is BS) doesn't want this feature. He wants attention. 5 page threads with all his concerns at the center of them. And he gets it, over and over and over. Not from me, anymore, that's for sure.
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gravity Jim wrote:

Jeeez. Pile off, guys.
You're kidding, right?

DP isn't "broken." It lacks something TDH wants and will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT. This is not how you approach a software company if you genuinely want a feature implemented. Why the hell would they listen to him? And why would they listen to him HERE?

The idea that he offered to be MOTU's "liaison" is laughable. Yeah, that's just what they want: an angry, dismissive troll representing them to plug-in makers.

It's like this, stubb: "toodamnhip" (even his screen name is BS) doesn't want this feature. He wants attention. 5 page threads with all his concerns at the center of them. And he gets it, over and over and over. Not from me, anymore, that's for sure.
That!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Gravity Jim wrote: Yeah, that's just what they want: an angry, dismissive troll representing them to plug-in makers.

It is clear to me who the dismissive angry trolls are. I'm relieved that you will not be giving him any more of your particular brand of "attention".
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You've swallowed the hook, friend.
Jim Bordner

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This started as a thread with a frustrated and angry user, who suggested there may be some negligence on the part of the developer. Some kind of mute automation bug was f'ing up his mixes. I'd be pissed too.

He brought up the suggestion that developers should warn users about bugs. Though perhaps not practical in all cases, it is not an unreasonable request.

This great forum offers the next best thing. Users can report issues and other users can decide, based on those reports, whether they want to upgrade to the next version, in this case DP 9. There was an interesting thread about early adopters being beta testers.

It can get a little tedious because bug report threads can get off-topic, and they don't end up being very distilled and quickly referenced as a simple list might be. And consolidating multiple threads can be a little risky.

I'll try not to get baited, here. This thread seemed much simpler than other folks seemed to be making it.