Corp responsibility to report serious bugs to public?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Corp responsibility to report serious bugs to public?

Post by Michael Canavan »

stubbsonic wrote:This started as a thread with a frustrated and angry user, who suggested there may be some negligence on the part of the developer. Some kind of mute automation bug was f'ing up his mixes. I'd be pissed too.

He brought up the suggestion that developers should warn users about bugs. Though perhaps not practical in all cases, it is not an unreasonable request.

This great forum offers the next best thing. Users can report issues and other users can decide, based on those reports, whether they want to upgrade to the next version, in this case DP 9. There was an interesting thread about early adopters being beta testers.

It can get a little tedious because bug report threads can get off-topic, and they don't end up being very distilled and quickly referenced as a simple list might be. And consolidating multiple threads can be a little risky.

I'll try not to get baited, here. This thread seemed much simpler than other folks seemed to be making it.
I get why you're stating what you have, and to a certain degree I sympathize with toodammhip, I do not think he or anyone here is a troll, but the truth is he has little clue who is at fault with this bug, but he's flatly blamed MOTU, stated that his NDA or something prevents him from disclosing what party, not MOTU, also blames MOTU.

I don't believe at all that he means any harm, but he in my opinion has not enough evidence for his rants against MOTU here, because he is "siding" with a particular party that may or may not share blame for the problem. Believe me I'm no company guy, I use software and hardware based on my needs, not loyalties, but given that I refuse to blame any party until the problem is resolved.

The truth of the matter is no one wants blame for something that might not be their fault, so these sorts of bugs mostly don't get resolved in public, and plug in developers are very very likely to lie about their own bad code, no matter how established of a company. Logic, DP and Live all have been blamed by plug in developers and mostly it's been the plug in that was loosely coded etc. In the 15 years I've used DAWs and plug ins for making music, every DAW I've owned has gone through a stability issue period, except Reason when it didn't host plug ins. Logic went through a period of years where the only issue was bad plug ins, same with Live and DP, and all have had periods were they weren't that stable.

If DP went through a rough patch were it could be determined that it was too unstable to use I would simply use something else until it stabilized, I would submit bug reports and talk about it in forums for sure, but if some plug in developer says DP is unstable, I sure wouldn't think that's a great reason to rant about it on a privately owned forum.

It's not the bug reporting that's the problem, it's the insistence that Waves, (or any party in the situation) can't be at fault. With this sort of thing it can be literally anything. I've had mouse drivers take out MIDI Beat Clock, inactive plug ins crash DAWs etc. Plus it doesn't help that he gets snippy and evasive when people attempt to help.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Corp responsibility to report serious bugs to public?

Post by stubbsonic »

Michael Canavan wrote: Plus it doesn't help that he gets snippy and evasive when people attempt to help.
Thanks for all that, Michael.

I do think there was a little bit of trolling behavior in this thread. And there were some escalating moments that came from unnecessarily dismissive or gruff answers. I don't know if anyone owes anyone else an apology. But there were definitely some missed opportunities to be constructive. Let's leave it at that.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com