Anybody get one of those Roland Boutique boxes yet?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
emulatorloo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anybody get one of those Roland Boutique boxes yet?

Post by emulatorloo »

I notice retailers have them in stock. Interested in hearing impressions from any of you that have them. My main interest is the JP-08 one.
mhschmieder

Re: Anybody get one of those Roland Boutique boxes yet?

Post by mhschmieder »

They sound awesome in the demos, but the local GC doesn't have any yet, and some detailed reports at the Keyboard forum state that there are some construction issues in terms of long-term wear -- especially if swapping the modules (I'm talking about the dedicated keyboard host, that allows for slanting the modules).

I did, however, get to try the new JD-Xi recently at GC and was quite amazed at how quickly I was able to dial up lush synth basses and leads, as well as some useful effects. I didn't even try the presets; many have complained about them but I couldn't care less.

The JD-Xi has lots of knobs and sliders and is a Real Analog synth as opposed to modeled, but also has additional engines (SuperNatural and I think maybe PCM drums). The JD-XA has full-sized keys (though the JD-Xi has heft and smooth edges like an organ vs. a synth so feels quite nice compared to other mini-keys), more features (though missing some as well), and costs a LOT more.

Additionally, there are the AIRA synths and modules. They are out of stock currently so I can't re-try them. I hated all of them every time I tried them before, but may have just been put off by the blinding lights on each one. Recently though, I downloaded and tried all five additional plug-ins (SH-2, SH-101, ProMARS, System-100, and System-1) and loved all of them but the default System-1.

There is a lot of confusion right now, because Boutique Series has dedicated hardware controls for specific Roland synths; AIRA doesn't but has really high-quality (even better than Korg Legacy Collection or Way Out Ware TimeWARP 2600) plug-ins that also can be loaded into the System-1 keyboard or System-1m module (which is more expensive than the keyboard because it has a lot of C/V's); the new JD-series is Real Analog.

So what is Roland up to? Maybe a new flagship synth at Winter NAMM that includes the whole kit and kaboodle? But if so, will it have sufficient dedicated controllers for the ideal ergonomic interaction as in Boutique Series?

What to do? It's aggravating. You get a $50 discount per plug-in if you own System-1, but I don't like generic controllers and also dislike the pre-packaged System-1 engine. I would be ready to splurge on all three Boutique modules (I am especially impressed by the JX-3P, with the Jupiter-8 being less convincing than the Juno-60), if the keyboard was better (a better ergonomic solution than buying the modules to use on a table-top or sitting on another synth).

Boutique and AIRA are the same technology; that much is known. Both are limited to four voices as a result, but Boutique has lower sample rates because Roland says people are confused about what to do with 24-bit 96k audio (a la AIRA) so the AIRA series is for pro's and the Boutique for regular consumers -- even though AIRA (at least yet) doesn't have either VST's or Plug-Outs for the three vintage Roland synths covered by Boutique (which are also stated as being limited edition).

Given the prices, it wouldn't be a disaster to buy some of these and then sell them (at a huge markdown due to resale value), but as Winter NAMM is so close at hand, I think it almost makes sense to wait a bit to see what the Second Act is.

I hate to say that too, because I am so happy to see Roland back in the game as an innovator, after years of yawning at their products, being aggravated at their design compromises (fatal in all cases, from my point of view and my experience from the ones I bought), or just unable to stomach their prices. So I do want them to sell ALL of these new products in high numbers and regain health.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

mhschmieder:

Thanks so much for the long and detailed reply! Surprised your local guitar center didn't have them yet. I am out in the middle of nowhere so music retailers are very scarce.

I will have to head over to the Keyboard forum and poke around. That specific issued about the keys wouldn't affect me, as I'd just use it as a table top module.

I'm intrigued by the JD-xi and Aria System-1 keyboard as well. I downloaded a few of the Aria plug-ins as well and played with them in DP, really enjoyed the System-100 a lot!
Boutique and AIRA are the same technology; that much is known. Both are limited to four voices as a result, but Boutique has lower sample rates because Roland says people are confused about what to do with 24-bit 96k audio (a la AIRA) so the AIRA series is for pro's and the Boutique for regular consumers -- even though AIRA (at least yet) doesn't have either VST's or Plug-Outs for the three vintage Roland synths covered by Boutique (which are also stated as being limited edition).
The "limited edition" phrase they use confuses me. Does it mean they will only be around a little while? Or is it just marketing hype? From a marketing stand-point I guess I can't see Roland releasing VST's for the Aria Rack and Keys until those boxes have gone away.
Given the prices, it wouldn't be a disaster to buy some of these and then sell them (at a huge markdown due to resale value), but as Winter NAMM is so close at hand, I think it almost makes sense to wait a bit to see what the Second Act is.
We've seen them take JD-Xi fullsize with the JD-Xa. Massive price difference though.

So yeah, on the one hand waiting until Winter NAMM probably makes sense. On the other hand as you say, buying one of these now and selling it later if need be isn't a horrible idea either.

Same feeling about Roland getting back in the game as innovators, I've missed them too! I Also hope they sell a lot of them; these boutique boxes are very Christmas Tree friendly imho.

-------

I gotta say, after reading and replying to your great post, I'm thinking about all of this is sorta pushing me towards a System-1 keyboard right now. Because I am in deep GAS mode right now and feel I really really deserve a new toy lol. And pull out the old Juno 60 and give it some love at the same time

And then see how the rest of this boutique stuff shakes out next year.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As a quick followup, the consensus still seems to be that the JX-3P emulation is the best of the three. Some have suggested it is because the original had some digital circuitry, so it may have been easier to match what it did. It's the one that sounds the best to me, consistently, in all demos.

I'm going to hold out though, because these are the sorts of things that people do as impulse buys and then sell, so the "limited edition" of 300 or 3000 units (I forget which) doesn't concern me.

Interesting idea that plug-outs might come for AIRA after this limited edition series sells out. I do want the dedicated controllers though; it's one of the big selling points for me.

Sound-Wise, I think System-100 (plug-out only) is the most exciting, but there really isn't a lemon in this batch, so even with the inevitable compromises that each product makes, none of them are deal-killers as with most of Roland's releases from the past 10-15 years.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH