Airline Boarding Passes – way OT but still a concern

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Airline Boarding Passes – way OT but still a concern

Post by mikehalloran »

Another potential security issue:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/warning-t ... 34175.html

What the article doesn't mention is that, if luggage, briefcase or wherever you store it, is lost/stolen, this can compromise your security, too. Since some airlines are letting you store the boarding pass on your smart phone, I see that as a good thing.

I lost my iPhone in JFK Airport a couple of months ago (my fault – I left it unattended for a few seconds). Within minutes, I had called AT&T, had it locked and contacted the insurance company to send a new one to my hotel.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Re: Airline Boarding Passes – way OT but still a concern

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:Another potential security issue:
I lost my iPhone in JFK Airport a couple of months ago (my fault – I left it unattended for a few seconds). Within minutes, I had called AT&T, had it locked and contacted the insurance company to send a new one to my hotel.
I turned off the fingerprint recognition feature on my iPhone, because it only worked about 1 time in 10. Your experience, especially if one has the boarding pass in the phone, sounds like a pretty good reason to turn it back on and deal with the trickiness of it. Or have they made it work more easily now? Just watch out for thieves carrying pruning shears. :shock:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In iOS 9, they have improved fingerprint scanning. You now take more scans at different angles to build a profile. If that doesn't do it, you can add up to four more profiles. I have noticed an improvement.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Another potential security issue:
I turned off the fingerprint recognition feature on my iPhone, because it only worked about 1 time in 10. Your experience, especially if one has the boarding pass in the phone, sounds like a pretty good reason to turn it back on and deal with the trickiness of it. Or have they made it work more easily now? Just watch out for thieves carrying pruning shears. :shock:

Shoosh
Or the new thing they're trying with atm's and eye pattern recognition. Think of Angels and Demons and how the antimatter capsule was stolen.