DP Falling Behind

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Falling Behind

Post by Gravity Jim »

bongo_x wrote:DP really does need to have better time stretching (and VSO) options, it's pretty terrible. But it's discouraging to see how many people these days use multi track time stretching to fix timing problems on acoustic instruments. For me, time stretching is for special effects and small fixes that can't be done any other way. Fixing drums, strings, etc involves chopping and crossfading, just like it always has, even in Pro Tools. IMHO it just sounds better, and it's just not that hard nor does it take much longer.

I'm certainly no audiophile stickler, but it's kind of sad that the quick, easy and dirty methods are very much the way now.
Not here. I think that kind of work is boring.

And as for working with The Biggest Players under The Biggest Muckity and needing to skooch everything around to make it fit: that's pure crap. I've done lots of orchestral sessions with players who weren't The Biggest (the Indianapolis Symphony, for example) and they play exactly what they are directed to play, perfectly, in time and in tune, over and over. If you're working with the Biggest Blahblahblah and not getting tracks that need nothing, then somebody is really bad at their job.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers... sure, old-timers like Shooshie and MLC can slag musical forms they don't like and get applauded for it, but that's just the nature of human beings. My point was this idea that only a DAW with advanced time-stretching is a valuable tool just isn't the case. There are plenty of us, like bongo, who don't slice and dice parts to make bad playing work: we just play it right or hire someone who can. I've never used DP's time-stretching for anything but making VO parts fit.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Well, Jim, you can argue all you like and we could both go back and forth but the facts are the facts and that is indeed what happened and who the participants were. I was not trying to claim ALL orchestras are like that, because obviously that is absurd. I am sure most orchestras do a fine job.
But what happened is the truth and goes to show that time manipulation is not only needed for "Hacks”. That’s all it is meant to show, so everyone can relax and rest assured I am not condemning all orchestras the world over.
In addition, there are also scenarios in which the producer changes a track or a film cue requires a track to be changed. All of which amounts to time stretch not being limited to “hacks”.
I am not sure what further argument on this is available except I could be called a liar ?
If I am not a liar, what happened happened with major people and that’s it!
(For the record, I did not conduct the orchestra and was given the tracks after the fact. But what I was given required a lot of repair to put it in the pocket.)
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've performed in a lot of orchestras, big and small, and while I'm no legendary player, I can sure tell you that timing and feel depends on the conductor. When you play the same work under numerous conductors, it becomes painfully obvious that stiff playing, "out of the pocket," is the fault of the conductor. Oh a player may goof now and then, but as a whole the orchestra responds to the guy up front. If he's stiff and uncomfortable, the playing will sound that way. If he's secure with himself and uninhibited enough to move to the music, the orchestra will follow. The real skill is being "loose" with the flow while also getting the precision spots right. Many conductors are good at one or the other, but not both. The greats, obviously, can do both. If the players are real pros, I think they'll choose a conductor who gets the flow and lets' the players find the beat.

The problem, I think, is that the FEEL of the ictus when conducting isn't necessarily where the orchestra will PERCEIVE it. A conductor has to learn where the orchestra feels his beat and anticipate it. (it's usually later than he thinks) I'm reminded of a story about Bruno Labate, the oboist in the New York Phil. The conductor — a famous name, but I've forgotten which — stopped him and screamed "Mr. Labate, I'VE GOT THE BATON!" to which Labate replied without skipping a beat, "But I'VE gotta da SOLO!"

Who's right? It'll never be resolved; there's just great music when it all works, and out-of-the-pocket when it doesn't.

If there is a rubber-band time stretching feature to make it easy to get them back in the pocket, I'm all for it. Nobody's saying you can't chop and dice, but just that time stretching can be nice. Especially when there's a deadline.

On the other hand, if it's possible, by all means fix it in the studio. Get a different conductor. Get a different oboe player or bass player or drummer. Just get the group playing like a group. But when you're stuck with tracks recorded yesterday, and someone says "fix them and I'll give you the moon," well... technology is a good thing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:I've performed in a lot of orchestras, big and small, and while I'm no legendary player, I can sure tell you that timing and feel depends on the conductor. When you play the same work under numerous conductors, it becomes painfully obvious that stiff playing, "out of the pocket," is the fault of the conductor. Oh a player may goof now and then, but as a whole the orchestra responds to the guy up front. If he's stiff and uncomfortable, the playing will sound that way. If he's secure with himself and uninhibited enough to move to the music, the orchestra will follow. The real skill is being "loose" with the flow while also getting the precision spots right. Many conductors are good at one or the other, but not both. The greats, obviously, can do both. If the players are real pros, I think they'll choose a conductor who gets the flow and lets' the players find the beat.

The problem, I think, is that the FEEL of the ictus when conducting isn't necessarily where the orchestra will PERCEIVE it. A conductor has to learn where the orchestra feels his beat and anticipate it. (it's usually later than he thinks) I'm reminded of a story about Bruno Labate, the oboist in the New York Phil. The conductor — a famous name, but I've forgotten which — stopped him and screamed "Mr. Labate, I'VE GOT THE BATON!" to which Labate replied without skipping a beat, "But I'VE gotta da SOLO!"

Who's right? It'll never be resolved; there's just great music when it all works, and out-of-the-pocket when it doesn't.

If there is a rubber-band time stretching feature to make it easy to get them back in the pocket, I'm all for it. Nobody's saying you can't chop and dice, but just that time stretching can be nice. Especially when there's a deadline.

On the other hand, if it's possible, by all means fix it in the studio. Get a different conductor. Get a different oboe player or bass player or drummer. Just get the group playing like a group. But when you're stuck with tracks recorded yesterday, and someone says "fix them and I'll give you the moon," well... technology is a good thing.

Shooshie
Your whole post is all the more reason we need time stretch. Actually, this is becoming much ado about nothing. All because someone erroneously stated that time stretch is only for working with hacks, and here we all go, arguing and defending orchestras.

I will give you another scenario- Changing the feel or swing later AFTER an orchestra has performed it.

I am known , (to those who know me), as a dude that plays my whole studio like an instrument. I play many real instruments of course, but DP is the FINAL instrument for me. And this is why I tax DP so heavily, taxing DP beyond what some here do it seems. And they ask me why I don;t bounce to disk to save processor etc....
It’s Because I want 1000% CONTROL till the very last second. I have taken 30,000+ $ strings sessions done at Capitol and completely sliced and diced them because I had a BETTER idea later. Because I NEVER like to turn down a better idea. I wish it all came to ME at once. But it doesn’t always do that. Sometime I need to build the whole trees before seeing the forrest. I play some pretty damn serious chordal jazz guitar, and also pop and other styles. I play great! But damn if I don’t end up playing for 2 hours and often, editing for 30 hrs in DP. The HELL with what I played, maybe I got a BETTER idea 2 days later after adding a cello. Everyone works there own way. For me, DP and the studio have become yet another INSTRUMENT, an instrument BEYOND the original players in most cases. (of course, without the great initial playing I’d have nothing to manipulate so the players are 100% vital). I mean, I come from a straight ahead jazz background where we RESPECT players. But in my commercial production, the best idea wins and I will turn all PLAYERS on their heads if it’s a better idea.
Thus, my desire for all the editing tools I can muster, including the sorely needed DP time stretch at least moving up to where Pro Tools is, if not better.

And as a P.S>
I will add that I agree the conductor shapes the orchestra. But I have found many orchestras to be notoriously behind the beat, and many conductors to be a bit square when dealing with anything with a beat, especially a driving one. Sometimes that’s nice. Sometimes, the conductor “hears" it behind the beat, and I dont. I recall working with the Santa Fe Opera once and there was the coolest conductor from San Fran. And he really consulted the young guys and spoke of “learning” from them. This made the orchestra swing man! No pre conceived classical lag over pop. He knew the young cats had the vibe and he soaked it up like a sponge. OK ..lol..enough...hopefully I’ve beaten this only half to death.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've never used DP's time-stretching for anything but making VO parts fit.
Yep. For more than about 7% or so, it doesn't sound very good.

I use IRCAM TS in MachFve for special effects. Yes, I'd like to see something that nice in DP but it is not essential to my work.

When the ensemble can't play or sing to a recorded track, it is the conductor's fault. There are people who are excellent at this work and they should be hired for the gig.

Interesting. For years, MIDI mute was the feature that was number one on the "must have" list for DP. Now that 9 has it, DP is. "way behind" because it hasn't integrated a time stretch tool on the order of PT. what's next?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:what's next?
It still doesn't make my coffee in the morning. :mumble:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

But seriously, I think we all have different needs and MOTU has done a pretty good job of keeping up with most of them. Falling behind? I wouldn't say that. Like any software it's got it's strengths as weaknesses. MOTU has to make decisions about where to allocate programming resources and I'm sure those decisions are not always easy. We all have needs that could be better met if they'd just add this or fix that or make it more like the other guy's DAW, but if we look at the big picture DP is an impressive piece of software and for my money is the best choice for my needs. I may get a project tomorrow that a different DAW would handle better, but that can be said for any DAW.

Personally, I'm hoping for bug fixes/optimization in the next update. A better time stretch can wait.

[exit soapbox]

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

One man's "bug" is another man's "feature." The same is true in software...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:
I've never used DP's time-stretching for anything but making VO parts fit.
Yep. For more than about 7% or so, it doesn't sound very good.

I use IRCAM TS in MachFve for special effects. Yes, I'd like to see something that nice in DP but it is not essential to my work.

When the ensemble can't play or sing to a recorded track, it is the conductor's fault. There are people who are excellent at this work and they should be hired for the gig.

Interesting. For years, MIDI mute was the feature that was number one on the "must have" list for DP. Now that 9 has it, DP is. "way behind" because it hasn't integrated a time stretch tool on the order of PT. what's next?
I am not calling it “way behind” as a whole, (I love DP).
But it is way behind on time stretch, something it used to BOAST about...so it’s kind of ridiculous isn’t it? I mean, you become a leader in an area and just give up on it? or stop developing something you once boasted about?

WHY? Zzzzzzz
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

DP is amazingly versatile.

We can agree that recording a large orchestra is the most ambitious use for any DAW-- as far as acoustic instruments and track counts.

Still others challenge DP with VI's, lots of plugins, and creating very complex projects layer by layer.

Saying that certain edit functions shouldn't be necessary because people should just play better is like saying we might as well get rid of quantizing.

Changing the algorithm that MOTU uses for stretching & pitch is simply taking a feature and improving it. Adding the warp marker type function would be VERY useful to me. And I expect most users would find it useful if it was there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:I am known , (to those who know me), as a dude that plays my whole studio like an instrument. I play many real instruments of course, but DP is the FINAL instrument for me. And this is why I tax DP so heavily, taxing DP beyond what some here do it seems. And they ask me why I don;t bounce to disk to save processor etc....
It’s Because I want 1000% CONTROL till the very last second. I have taken 30,000+ $ strings sessions done at Capitol and completely sliced and diced them because I had a BETTER idea later. Because I NEVER like to turn down a better idea. I wish it all came to ME at once. But it doesn’t always do that. Sometime I need to build the whole trees before seeing the forrest. I play some pretty damn serious chordal jazz guitar, and also pop and other styles. I play great! But damn if I don’t end up playing for 2 hours and often, editing for 30 hrs in DP. The HELL with what I played, maybe I got a BETTER idea 2 days later after adding a cello. Everyone works there own way. For me, DP and the studio have become yet another INSTRUMENT, an instrument BEYOND the original players in most cases. (of course, without the great initial playing I’d have nothing to manipulate so the players are 100% vital). I mean, I come from a straight ahead jazz background where we RESPECT players. But in my commercial production, the best idea wins and I will turn all PLAYERS on their heads if it’s a better idea.
Thus, my desire for all the editing tools I can muster, including the sorely needed DP time stretch at least moving up to where Pro Tools is, if not better.
+1, David. If I were 10 years younger and living in L.A., I'd be doing what you're doing. I completely agree with your mindset and work ethic. I also was known for doing the stuff that others didn't want to do, because I could; DP was always the greatest instrument in the world for me, but I'm not comparing it to playing chamber music on my other instruments; just that it's the ultimate instrument for controlling what goes on a recording, especially AFTER it's been recorded. The trick has always been doing it fast enough to make it feasible. If you have weeks to spend on one mix, then you can do anything. But that's a pipe dream. Time stretching technology SHOULD be able to provide changes without sound imperfections, and the whole idea for having it is that you can do in a few seconds what takes many minutes to do otherwise. Suddenly it becomes possible to do a whole string section or the whole friggin orchestra. Without the rubber-band time stretching, that's just not feasible. I mean... yes, if you've got days and stamina. But who has that kind of time?

By all means we're talking about a significant feature. It's one of the top things on my list. If some people only use it for voiceover, it's because it hasn't been good enough to tempt them to use it for the orchestra. Make it that good, make it simple and easy, and you can get everything in the pocket in seconds. That's giving the engineer god-like control over his tracks, and of course we'll find that some engineers make poor audio-gods, because it takes musicianship of the highest degree to pull this off, but for those who CAN, it is an essential and welcome tool.
toodamnhip wrote:I will add that I agree the conductor shapes the orchestra. But I have found many orchestras to be notoriously behind the beat, and many conductors to be a bit square when dealing with anything with a beat, especially a driving one. Sometimes that’s nice. Sometimes, the conductor “hears" it behind the beat, and I dont.
That's what I was talking about when I said this:
Shooshie wrote:The problem, I think, is that the FEEL of the ictus when conducting isn't necessarily where the orchestra will PERCEIVE it. A conductor has to learn where the orchestra feels his beat and anticipate it. (it's usually later than he thinks)
Without getting too deep in shop-talk, I've always noticed that small groups and chamber groups respond to cues pretty much instantly, whereas large orchestras delay a couple hundred milliseconds, give or take. When your daily bread and butter is one or the other (small or large group), you're the fish out of water when you play in the other kind of group, and you have to adjust your thinking to their level of delay. Being a saxophonist, mostly (and flute, etc.), my groups were usually small, so when I would play in a big orchestra I'd have to stop looking at the conductor and just listen. (got me in trouble once when the conductor inserted a Grand Pause that he hadn't done the last time we performed it, and for some reason I was the only one who didn't know he'd added it, because James Galway had eaten up 100% of our rehearsal time on another piece)

For the conductor, it's just a matter of getting comfortable with where the beat is, and not trying to change your style or the players', but to live with the discord of hearing the beat after you cued it. But there are some conducting gods in this forum, and I'd be stupid to dissect their profession. I've conducted a lot of groups, onstage and off, but I bow to their profession in which I'm but a hack. Still, it's hard to resist figuring out why things are the way they are. Yet in the end, it's not to change them, but merely to understand and accept them. Good players just do.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm hopelessly positive about this. I see the new spectral display on tracks as a whisper of things to come.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Hmm, “hopelessly positive” a new phrase is born... :D

And Shoosh, I enjoyed your response..... :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Gravity Jim wrote:... sure, old-timers like Shooshie and MLC can slag musical forms they don't like and get applauded for it, but that's just the nature of human beings.
Some human beings, for sure, Jim, but not most on this forum, IMHO.
Gravity Jim wrote:There are plenty of us, like bongo, who don't slice and dice parts to make bad playing work: we just play it right or hire someone who can.
... and there are plenty of us who're not virtuosos and are unable to afford session players. I'm one of them. As I play everything required, I'm not able to put the time into any one instrument in order to achieve (especially timing) perfection.

As I've been saying for years, a simple point-and-click / drag-and-drop stretching / compression / quantisation solution would be... the solution for peeps in my boat.

As TooDamnHip suggested, even folks like you might be able to benefit from this should you feel the need to manipulate "virtuoso" recordings after the fact, whether for creative or technical reasons, IMHO Jim.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote: ... and there are plenty of us who're not virtuosos and are unable to afford session players. I'm one of them. As I play everything required, I'm not able to put the time into any one instrument in order to achieve (especially timing) perfection.

As I've been saying for years, a simple point-and-click / drag-and-drop stretching / compression / quantisation solution would be... the solution for peeps in my boat.

As TooDamnHip suggested, even folks like you might be able to benefit from this should you feel the need to manipulate "virtuoso" recordings after the fact, whether for creative or technical reasons, IMHO Jim.
More power to you Nicky. The democratization of recording is a good thing IMHO. The modern tools we have at our disposal are fantastic, and thankfully are there for all of us to use as we see fit.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1