DP Falling Behind

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Falling Behind

Post by nk_e »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:I've been wondering lately why my music sounds so dated and dusty. I guess I better switch to something that makes stupid dubstep tricks a little easier.
Is that really necessary?

This forum has been pretty negative lately. It's a real downer.
j

No the comments were not necessary. The tone of this thread has been helpful, respectful, and useful to its readers and hopefully MOTU. Then you get a dump like this from someone that adds nothing but bite, sarcasm, and (dim) wit.

No it wasn't necessary, but at least the commenter feels better I suppose.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I didn't find either the title or original post to be problematic in any way; especially given the very clear explanation.

The folks at MOTU are grown-ups, and have heard much more intense criticism than that, even from their most devoted fans.

Perhaps in hindsight, we could devise a better title, but it got people talking in a VERY constructive way about how some tools for manipulating audio to match tempo work very effectively in other DAWs, and some fantastic ideas for what might be amazing to see in DP down the road.

I've found the whole thread to be interesting. I even found it interesting that some thought it to be pointless. Just useful to see who likes things as they are, and who can see potential for improvement.

I don't however like to see dissing of styles of music or insulting people for having a point of view.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
billf

Post by billf »

stubbsonic wrote:I don't however like to see dissing of styles of music or insulting people for having a point of view.
I agree with you. This thread was about a feature that people would like to see implemented in DP, and the discussion was going well. Why is there the need to pop in, throw the thread off course, and insult the people who were expressing opinions on the features being discussed?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Posting this, and believe me I'm as guilty as the rest of you of not using it, instead wasting time on forums complaining about X feature being weak, having Z member of forum act like my complaint is unwarranted because for them the feature isn't that useful etc. Ad nauseam.

That said, if there's any random group of people who know DP well enough to know what needs improving, it's the people on this forum.

http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

…and a pretty random group it is. Thank goodness!

That said, things don't tend to devolve here at MOTUNation as quickly or as often as they do at many other forums. And when they do, it can be at least moderately entertaining. But I hate seeing feelings get hurt, especially here, as we are clearly among friends, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I WOULD like to see DP's pitch and time algorithms improved. It's my one thing.

Tuning and time compressing monophonic material works very well for me; so tightly integrated in the workflow, it's great. Just don't try to shift polyphonic elements.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I guess I have one MORE thing… video engine. Too much impact on playback.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

ritzybiz wrote:Maybe I could have been more sensitive with the title, but it was driven by frustration at the time. I am an active 75 yo who still takes on many projects in my studio, and I am still as enthusiastic as I ever was.

You're my new inspiration, friend Charlie.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The clue was in the handle. But being not so far behind I missed it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

ritzybiz wrote:The sun is out here on the NSW North Coast, but then again it usually is!
Charlie
G'day Charlie from Melbourne.

Mate you give me hope as my music-career progress was completely derailed... several times, and the latest stint has been a 20-year wait. The point being that since age 19 one disaster after another has ensured that, at this rate, I won't even start my career 'till after 50, which thankfully isn't too far away.

I've always said I'll have to live to 120 in order to square the books, and obviously work 'til the day I drop too! That is, if you could call it work.

Sorry for the rant; it's just great to see another Aussie here, especially a man of your experience and passion. Yay! Go Charlie.
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
ritzybiz

Post by ritzybiz »

Thanks for all the positive comments, they have inspired me even more! But also thanks to those with more critical replies - it shows the passion for DP in particular, and making music in general, is still alive and kicking!

Charlie
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, alive and kicking like Weekend at Bernie's in my case, Charlie. LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
toodamnhip

DP TIME STRETCH HAS fallen Behind

Post by toodamnhip »

nk_e wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:I've been wondering lately why my music sounds so dated and dusty. I guess I better switch to something that makes stupid dubstep tricks a little easier.
Is that really necessary?

This forum has been pretty negative lately. It's a real downer.
j

No the comments were not necessary. The tone of this thread has been helpful, respectful, and useful to its readers and hopefully MOTU. Then you get a dump like this from someone that adds nothing but bite, sarcasm, and (dim) wit.

No it wasn't necessary, but at least the commenter feels better I suppose.
The title of this thread is 100% accurate and I can technically PROVE why!

No company or individual can have things “both ways”. You can’t desire praise while getting offended at deserved criticism, etc.

You can;t say Boast and advertise you’re the best and never let someone call you out for falling back of the pack years later! You boasted once, that sets you up for fair criticism.

The proof?

When MOTU 1st was at the FOREFRONT of time stretch algorithms, they heavily advertised how they were the innovative company, DAW, etc. And rightfully so.

Now that they have neglected the technology they once boasted about, they deserve to be called out for falling behind. Once a boast, now it’s toast. Fix it MOTU!
I want to hear you boast again. :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I wasn't dissing EDM or Electronica. And someone later explained what warping meant and I was thankful and stated I would find it useful. It's best to take things that are said at face value than read too much behind them.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

DP really does need to have better time stretching (and VSO) options, it's pretty terrible. But it's discouraging to see how many people these days use multi track time stretching to fix timing problems on acoustic instruments. For me, time stretching is for special effects and small fixes that can't be done any other way. Fixing drums, strings, etc involves chopping and crossfading, just like it always has, even in Pro Tools. IMHO it just sounds better, and it's just not that hard nor does it take much longer.

I'm certainly no audiophile stickler, but it's kind of sad that the quick, easy and dirty methods are very much the way now.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bongo_x wrote:DP really does need to have better time stretching (and VSO) options, it's pretty terrible. But it's discouraging to see how many people these days use multi track time stretching to fix timing problems on acoustic instruments. For me, time stretching is for special effects and small fixes that can't be done any other way. Fixing drums, strings, etc involves chopping and crossfading, just like it always has, even in Pro Tools. IMHO it just sounds better, and it's just not that hard nor does it take much longer.

I'm certainly no audiophile stickler, but it's kind of sad that the quick, easy and dirty methods are very much the way now.
I did a recent project with the absolute biggest orchestrator in the world of commercial music. Now maybe I am a nut, but the strings, to me, were behind the beat and not in the “pocket” at all. Maybe it was due because of limited amount of studio time so they had rush the session, I don;t know. The orchestra was in a major city, and a major recording orchestra. But Pro Tools saved my butt and I moved stuff A LOT!. With DP’s tools I would have had to have sliced and diced the crap out of that orchestra. With Pro Tools, I was able to create markers and make the whole orchestra move as one, and time was truly elastic. Of course, it was’t simple paint by numbers. I had to try different anchor points and it was indeed “work” to get the result I wanted. But do that in DP? Forget it!
So this was no set of “amateurs” who couldn’t play. This was big time stuff. Sorry but time stretch is needed for more than hacks. I’d rather not have to say this and I would have loved the tracks given me to have been perfect. They weren’t. Elastic time was clearly needed for a PRO orchestra.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc