Girl Power - Monkey's Unbeatable New Guitar Heroines

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Girl Power - Monkey's Unbeatable New Guitar Heroines

Post by monkey man »

For Shred, 16yo French guitarist, Tina S:

https://www.youtube.com/user/malabar777/videos

For everything else, 20yo English guitarist Jess Lewis. Her videos span ages 16 to 20:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jess+Lewis

As always, send beer to:

Mr. Monkey Man
807 Banana Alley
Cape Coconut
Jungleville 1092

Instruct courier to leave at front-door flap.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Re: Girl Power - Monkey's Unbeatable New Guitar Heroines

Post by Shooshie »

Damn! Thanks for that!

Be sure to listen to this one if you're not quite sure how to evaluate her:
Vivaldi Tribute, Tina S.

I don't normally listen to kid musicians. You're kind of an ass if you criticize anything about them, and as kids, they usually don't have the maturity to make great music, even if they have the chops. So, if you happen to say "he/she will be good someday if he/she keeps up and practices," then everyone will think you're a horrible snob. "It's just a KID, jerk! For a kid he's GREAT!"

Well, that's a matter of opinion. When you grew up kind of prodigal in everyone else's eyes, but you knew all the stuff you were lacking, it made you realize how little the average person knows about music. Some kids run with it, because they figure out that they can get away with murdering music, being "just a kid." Those usually don't turn out well in the long run, but they do learn how much they can get away with, so they often make great salesmen or con artists. Even great executives!

But those who DO practice and realize that there's more to being Heifetz than copying his playing, those generally make something of themselves, musically.

So it was when I started listening to this girl's rock solos. Sure, she can shred, but of course there were moments when I felt like she needed to learn when NOT to shred. When just to let the music soar. But then I heard the Vivaldi. This girl is special. SUPER special. And that's all I'm going to say about her.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow. Now this Jess Lewis is my kind of musician! I mean, so is Tina S., but I really like the tasty lines of Ms. Lewis. She's a regular Patty Metheny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkTc-E9aGIc

Wonderful stuff.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you so much for respecting my "sense of taste", or what you might have imagined it to be, enough to warrant checking these two gals out, 'Meister!

I actually spent a week downloading every Japanese student's videos I could track down, then Spanish and anything else I could find, all in a effort to inspire my brother to leave the world of Slash behind with his guitar playing.

Notable too was Li-sa-X, who I've been "following" for a while, but she's only recently attained the strength in her fingers to do vibrato at age 9. She was playing Guthrie Govan covers at age 8, so there's no doubting her outstanding musicality; it remains to be seen whether or not her control and finesse develop accordingly over the next, I'd say, 3 to 5 years. If they do, she'll blow everyone away, IMHO. I came close to linking her as well, but she's not ready for prime time. Besides, I too feel that "kid-musician" threads are more or less a waste of time, no matter the potential of an individual; potential is everywhere, I mean, heck, even I have it, but transmuting it into its, well, potential, is another story, a fact of which a well-drilled musician such as yourself would be only too painfully aware.

Check her out by all means if you like to hear your jaw hit the floor; a PooToob search using the name I provided will suffice; there's only a handful of videos ranging from age, I think, 5 up 'til 9. It starts to get interesting at age 8.

Lastly, may I say that I've not felt compelled to share my enthusiasm for any kid musician until now. I came close with Li-sa-X, but planned to wait 'til she gained more control. She and Tina S brought me to the brink, so to speak, but Jess Lewis broke the proverbial back and I just had to share 'em.

My lack of technical knowledge of music and music theory precludes me from entering into a discussion thereof as far as these gals are concerned; I simply hoped to blow my fellow Unicorns away with these examples of just how good some young gals are turning out to be on arguably the most male-dominated instrument of them all, the electric guitar.

Once again, 'Meister, thank you so much for taking the time to check 'em out; I'm truly honoured that you were brave enough to be first to take the plunge!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Be sure to listen to this one if you're not quite sure how to evaluate her:
Vivaldi Tribute, Tina S.
Whoa!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro