What Headphones do you use Outside the Studio?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What Headphones do you use Outside the Studio?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Just wondering what headphones folks here use when you're not in the studio (traveling, on the plane, etc.) for casual listening to tunes from your phone and the like.

I can't wear ear buds (fall out of my ears). I had a nice pair of B&W P5s which sounded great, but I opted for Monster Inspirations with noise canceling. The noise reduction works great, but I'm not thrilled with the sound nor do I like how bulky they are.

Your recommendations?

(Remember—not looking for reference headphones!)
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
davedempsey

Re: What Headphones do you use Outside the Studio?

Post by davedempsey »

I have a number of 80 ohm Beyer Dynamic 250s for the studio but a little while ago I purchased a few pairs of Audio Technica ATM-50 - one each for myself, my partner and my daughter. I find the AT are both comfortable and great sounding - also they pack down rather nicely into a neat carry pouch.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Too bad about the earbuds. I know some people can't use them, but they can have the added bonus of cutting out external noise very effectively and provide very pleasing immersive sound. But yea, everybody's ears are different.

It would be good to know if there is a really nice-sounding, smallish, lightweight over the ear headphone, a la Sony's MDR series.

What is always tricky when reading headphone reviews is trying to guess if there is too much hyped bass, hyped highs or spikey mids.

I may say that I like cans that sound "Flat" but really I think flat might mean too much bass for my tastes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Picked up a cheap set of Bose at Costco years ago.
I only use them when flying and there good for that but when I look at consumer grade phones I think there way over priced.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The Bose over the ear noise canceling headphones are my choice. I use buds for convenience, but not serious listening. The noise canceling buds, BTW, also amplify every step I take and THAT is seriously annoying. I'm thinking' a cranial implant with a small vibrating plate. The problem is where to put the input jack for my phone. The belly button is inconvenient and all the other available bodily inputs are already in use. I guess I'll just stick with the Bose...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

stubbsonic wrote:[...]What is always tricky when reading headphone reviews is trying to guess if there is too much hyped bass, hyped highs or spikey mids.[...]
Sort of hit or miss game.
I've spent much in headphones and earbuds (Beyer, Sony, Shure), but still waiting for the *right* ones...
And even more challenging when it comes to closed type.
Nowadays, I consider tracking headphones have to be significantly different from critical listening ones.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Years ago I would have recommended the Sony MDR 7509. That was one of the best sounding phones I've ever used. It was all the clarity of the 7506, but with bass, too. The 7506 is notably lacking in bass.

They discontinued the 7509 and replaced it with two "high end" models that basically suck. I bought them both, and I still have them, but I don't like them. They have large plastic housings over the entire ear, and it's very much like putting cans over your ears. And I mean the stuff that soup comes in. If there is any noise whatsoever in the room, you will hear it reverberating in those cans. Not a pretty sound.

The sound of the phones themselves, in pristine conditions, is not bad, but it's nowhere nearly as good as the old 7509s. (I wish I had the model numbers or names, but Sony wasn't proud enough of them to put their damn model numbers on them) So, while the 7506 is still around, I think, and is a decent set of cans (the headphone type) for studio use, it lacks bass and is not very good for personal use. I'd say that the Sony MDR 7500 line is effectively dead. Yay for progress. :roll:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Love my AKG K712s in the studio, but they're too bulky for travel, not to mention the open design is not ideal for keeping sound out. I've also heard good things about the Focal Spirit Pros as a reference/mixing headphone for the studio, but I'd love to find a pair that are....
1. Comfortable enough for extended wear
2. Reasonably sized (i.e. don't take up half my backpack)
3. Sound great

Still looking.....
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I've been using the Sennheiser Momentum on ear headphones, they sound nice for when I'm out and about, they're light/comfortable and it has a built in mic and volume control for phone calls.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Moment ... r+momentum
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Man, your livin' the high life! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

That looks like a pretty good price on those
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:Years ago I would have recommended the Sony MDR 7509. That was one of the best sounding phones I've ever used. It was all the clarity of the 7506, but with bass, too. The 7506 is notably lacking in bass.

They discontinued the 7509 and replaced it with two "high end" models that basically suck. I bought them both, and I still have them, but I don't like them. They have large plastic housings over the entire ear, and it's very much like putting cans over your ears. And I mean the stuff that soup comes in. If there is any noise whatsoever in the room, you will hear it reverberating in those cans. Not a pretty sound.

The sound of the phones themselves, in pristine conditions, is not bad, but it's nowhere nearly as good as the old 7509s. (I wish I had the model numbers or names, but Sony wasn't proud enough of them to put their damn model numbers on them) So, while the 7506 is still around, I think, and is a decent set of cans (the headphone type) for studio use, it lacks bass and is not very good for personal use. I'd say that the Sony MDR 7500 line is effectively dead. Yay for progress. :roll:

Shooshie
I preferred the Sony MDR V6 over my 7506 and still do. I have multiple sets of both. The V6 does have slightly better bass. Sony has discontinued it a few times but the demand keeps bringing it back.

In a good orchestra recording, I can tell approximately how many players are in the double bass section with the V6. The 7506 and 7509 never gave me that.

I'm not sure these are the ideal 'phones for casual listening – I only listen to headphones or ear buds casually on airplanes and in airports.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

There's an Outside the Studio? I've heard tales of such a place, but I thought it was just fantasy. Do they really have horses?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

But seriously, MDR 7506 is my go to studio can. Other than that, I don't use headphones.

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

An interesting review of the V6 vs the 7506.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... or#p506252

It also mentions the V-600 which has hyped bass. I couldn't stand my pair and gave them to a student.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro