DSP Quattro Update

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DSP Quattro Update

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, thanks -- I hadn't checked out that mini-menu yet, not realizing there might be something of interest there. :-) That'll definitely save time!

It's strange that some Slate Digital plugs are OK and others aren't. I suspect it's all related to resource management. I could randomly try something like AmpliTube to see if it crashes -- even though I would have no reason to ever use it at the mastering stage. I'm just curious.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

DSP Q 4.4 is up= Compatible w/ EL Cap
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the heads up. As far as I knew, there was never any problem with previous versions and El Cap.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It seemed to work fine under 10.11 for the brief time I had 10.11 installed. But it's good to see it regularly updated.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

DSPQ still won't directly import an mp3, it has to convert it to WAV or AIFF first, which should have been fixed long ago. Also I haven't found a way to zoom in or out using Mac keys. And third, with the AU/VST plug-in chain window open and plug-ins inserted, you cannot then go to the GUI for any of the plugins and control transport from the spacebar...you have to return to the plug-in chain window to get the spacebar to control transport. None of these are deal-breakers, but they are annoying, and none of these issues were present with BIAS Peak which I still miss.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was trying to set up a particular macro to truncate some samples where I needed to be able to tab through the interface to enter selection range values, but couldn't do that in DSPQ.

I contacted the developer who initially thought he might be able to offer some way of working it, but that ball got dropped about 3 or 4 times, so I let it go.

I do like the software, but I agree with the gripes mentioned by David Pollick.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:DSPQ still won't directly import an mp3, it has to convert it to WAV or AIFF first, which should have been fixed long ago. Also I haven't found a way to zoom in or out using Mac keys.
The key commands noted in the Zoom items in the menus work for me, although a different mapping would be more intuitive, so you don't need to remember when to hold and release the shift key. Maybe you have these mapped elsewhere with a function that has higher priority in OS X than DSP-Q. (Two finger drag works for X and Y zoom too, but that's probably not that useful to you.)

As for importing an MP3, not sure what you mean. It does import MP3 but warns you it will be converting it to the format it works on. Are you suggesting DSP-Q should operate directly on an MP3 file in it's format and save it without any intervening conversion? Or does your installation of DSP-Q refuses to bring an MP3 into the editor until you convert it externally first? I have that latter experience with DP, and use DSP to do the conversion.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, the "blocking" aspect of the plug-in window -- I haven't found a way to edit the waveform when it is open -- has been with me for awhile at least, and didn't go away in this latest update.

As iZotope RX5 Advanced is still a one plug-in at a time app, I can't do proper gain-staging, so am using DSP-Quattro exclusively at this point, in spite of its own limitations (and/or my shallower familiarity with how to use it to its fullest capabilities).

The gain-staging itself is something I can no longer live without.

I also like its tape player style fast and slow forward/rewind that auditions the audio as it would on tape being played in either direction at either speed. It really speeds up my work vs. strictly visual cursors.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
billf

Post by billf »

David Polich wrote:DSPQ still won't directly import an mp3, it has to convert it to WAV or AIFF first, which should have been fixed long ago. Also I haven't found a way to zoom in or out using Mac keys. And third, with the AU/VST plug-in chain window open and plug-ins inserted, you cannot then go to the GUI for any of the plugins and control transport from the spacebar...you have to return to the plug-in chain window to get the spacebar to control transport. None of these are deal-breakers, but they are annoying, and none of these issues were present with BIAS Peak which I still miss.
Yes exactly, to me the zoom issue is the most annoying. I do miss BIAS Peak. That said, I hope there is a v5 of DSPQ coming that will perhaps address all those issues.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

V5 has been actively worked on for awhile now. I don't think a release timeframe estimate has been announced -- which is probably wise. It sounds like an overhaul, using newer frameworks and technology. I am impressed what has been done with DSP-Quattro in its current incarnation, given the "old code".

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote:Yes exactly, to me the zoom issue is the most annoying.
??

Timeline Zoom In/Out: Command +/-
Waveform Zoom In/Out: Alt-Command +/-
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:V5 has been actively worked on for awhile now. I don't think a release timeframe estimate has been announced -- which is probably wise. It sounds like an overhaul, using newer frameworks and technology. I am impressed what has been done with DSP-Quattro in its current incarnation, given the "old code".
Good point. Stefano recently chimed in on his own thread at GS that V5 is coming. If it fixes the zoom issue, I'm going to be a happy camper.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/masteri ... lable.html
Very much more will come with the next major version 5, under development...
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:
??

They do not work for me. Tried, and tried, and tried. :D
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote:
bayswater wrote:
??

They do not work for me. Tried, and tried, and tried. :D
Odd. You could have a look at the keyboard shortcuts set for the Finder. Maybe there are some there that override their use in DSP. Or maybe even in DP if you normally have that running at the same time.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

bayswater wrote:
David Polich wrote:DSPQ still won't directly import an mp3, it has to convert it to WAV or AIFF first, which should have been fixed long ago. Also I haven't found a way to zoom in or out using Mac keys.
The key commands noted in the Zoom items in the menus work for me, although a different mapping would be more intuitive, so you don't need to remember when to hold and release the shift key. Maybe you have these mapped elsewhere with a function that has higher priority in OS X than DSP-Q. (Two finger drag works for X and Y zoom too, but that's probably not that useful to you.)

As for importing an MP3, not sure what you mean. It does import MP3 but warns you it will be converting it to the format it works on. Are you suggesting DSP-Q should operate directly on an MP3 file in it's format and save it without any intervening conversion? Or does your installation of DSP-Q refuses to bring an MP3 into the editor until you convert it externally first? I have that latter experience with DP, and use DSP to do the conversion.
Yes I mean that DSPQ should simply import an mp3 straight away, just as DP does. I'd be fine with it converting it to WAV or AIFF upon import, but I'd rather it just did that without asking me first.
Peak imported mp3's and converted them on the fly, but never warned you that it was converting, it just did the conversion automatically.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com