iOS for live performance: Are we there yet?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

iOS for live performance: Are we there yet?

Post by stubbsonic »

Folks are enjoying using iPads for grid-type sequencing stuff, beat-stuff, single & layered synth tones, and effects. I am raising this "iOS in performance" question from a different angle.

For decades, I've used kurzweil k-series synths for live performance (almost as long as I've used P/DP). What the K2000, K2500R, and finally, K2661 have allowed me to do is: map.

I can map factory ROM samples or my own custom samples to specific key ranges and velocity ranges. I can freely assign pitches, including unusual tunings or "cheats" that add custom-scale transposed delays, or let me improvise melodic passages with non-linear harmony layers already pre-built.

I can map any controller source to any parameter, and map a secondary controller to adjust the depth of the primary controller in realtime. E.g., an envelope is controlling the pitch, the mod wheel is controlling how much the envelope is controlling the pitch.

For the K-2xxx, spontaneity is a matter of preparation. I can prepare in such a way that when the gig is happening, I can just move around freely in worlds that I have set up ahead of time.
And even if I don't prepare, I can do most of that stuff quickly on the fly.

Ok, now to iOS. There are plenty of single-sound, single channel synths. I can set up some layers using a combination of apps, 3rd-party MIDI utilities and AudioBus.

With Bismark BS16i, I can use some custom soundfonts to accomplish some custom samples & mapping work.

With the Korg iM1, there is the ability to layer those factory ROM samples (which are a mixed bag, quality wise)-- but things are pretty limited there.

Z3ta+ has lots of modulation control, tuning maps and some deep aspects, but it is abandon--ware and buggy, and no samples.

IK's sample tank doesn't allow for much depth or customization.

Ok. It is almost sounding like I want an iK2600 app for iOS, and that certainly is true. Or an iMachFive, or an iKontakt. But in general, it is the freedom to map samples, map controllers, map pitches, that I miss.

That is not what the mainstream is up to on the live stage, but it really does make the role of keyboard player much more interesting and rewarding to me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: iOS for live performance: Are we there yet?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might consider Main Stage from Apple. You'll need a laptop so it doesn't address the iOS question, but it could solve your issues in one simple box.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes to the basic question. I could not perform solo any other way. Compared to a laptop, iOS is in the Stone Age. That will change.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, MLC. I have and like Mainstage 3. I used it for some theatre gigs and other situations where the kurzweil was off-line or occupied.

And the capabilities of what I can do in a live situation with my laptop are pretty stupendous, and there are relatively few limitations compared to the K-2000 series, and many significant advantages.

This is more about what an iPad might be ready for, now or maybe soon.

I have a neurotic fear of using my laptop on gigs- fear of it crashing or worse, crashing to the ground. Not that an iPad is that much more robust, but I suppose the idea of replacing one seems less daunting.

Mike's post just posted. Yes, it has felt like the iOS is a teetering pile of work-arounds. Reminds me of OS 9, but without as much crashing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

A K2xxx on iOS would be wonderful. But the K2K format never made it to a VI. Doesn't seem to be any interest at YC in going the software route.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea. I guess it is understandable since they still have a big stake in selling hardware instruments and are making good ones.

I feel like we've gotten "close" in some ways.

The ability to load soundfonts was a pretty close thing with the BS16i, but not virtually no synthesis or modulation capability.

If IK's SampleTank included a keymap editor and the ability to import samples, that might be an option.

What might come the closest and be a pretty safe investment would be if Korg update the iM1 to be able to import samples and edit keymaps, and have tuning maps per layer; because the iM1 already has the layers/performance thing. Though this would hardly be my dream synth (I'd much prefer the synth capabilities of a Z3ta+, Thor, or even Tera), nonetheless, a revised iM1 would certainly cover most of the bases decently.

I think my ideal would be to have one of these power-house iOS synths, like Z3ta+, Thor, or maybe Tera, and allow it to have 8-16 multi-timbral layers, each layer can have a keymap/soundfont and synth settings.

Thanks for musing with me, folks.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So it would seem what would be great is a multi-tier keyboard (like a theater or cathedral organ) that will run multiple instances of iOS apps as well as (at least) AUs and layer them, map them, etc. How nice would that be!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Multi-tier keyboard rig would be ideal, but even having a full-size primary controller, and a korg microKey as a secondary would work for me (and be a less brutal shlep).

iOS just has such weak representation of samplers, and most of those cool synth apps don't allow layering & mapping of complex sounds.

I've looked at the options that are available and they just don't cut it. BeatMaker and Sample Tank are too limited.

Another cool idea would be to have said synth be multi-platform and able to reside and share data between the desktop & iOS versions. I'd much prefer doing the bulk of editing on my laptop anyway.