For what it's worth...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

For what it's worth...

Post by Shooshie »

I'm back.

Two days ago I started on my first musical project in almost 3 months. The summer has flown by, and I've been busy beyond my normal constitution; that is, everything happening at once. But I was determined NOT to do anything musical for as much of the summer as I could stand to be away from it. After the first month or so I was practicing Chopin at the piano, Scherzo #2 in Bb minor, and a number of Preludes and Etudes, and it felt nice that it wasn't for anything. Not that I've been all that busy for the past few years, but the difference is that I didn't care.

I've had to get that feeling of urgency out of my musical work — you know the one — that makes you feel like you're not doing things fast enough, well enough, or... just "enough." The way it has made me feel ever since I stepped down from full-time working is that I'm getting left behind, that no matter what I do, it's failing. That's not true at all, and it's ME that's needed adjusting. When I got a non-musical project to work on back in June, I decided to make a vacation of it, and purposely stay away from all things musical, MIDI, or audio. I can't say that it's something everyone should do; if you don't need to, why would you stay away from music? But it was the right thing for me to do at that time. As HAL 9000 said in 2001, A Space Odyssey, "I'm feeling much better now."

It's just that in 30 years I have never been away from DP for more than maybe a week. I've stayed out of the forum for up to a month in the past 15 years, but I was still doing music. This was a much needed break. So... that's the news, if it's news for anyone but me, and I think I'll be reading the forum again. (though I really HAVE been busy, and it's hard to say if that's going to change much)

Recording a female vocalist with originals. DP9 feels great! The ability to scroll again with the Magic Trackpad makes it feel heavenly! I can never go back to a trackball or mouse again. This is just too good. (Thanks, MOTU!!!)

It's a funny feeling coming back and working on a project after 3 months without so much as looking at the DP splash screen. You forget just exactly where things are, so it takes you a moment to find things. Meanwhile you can hear the seconds tick by as the artist sits all alone in the room with microphones all around her, and you're struggling at the control desk, searching a menu you KNOW is there, but for some reason your brain just refuses to see it. I finally hit the TALK button and say "I'll be just a moment. Don't worry." (and I think to myself, "I really DO know how to work this thing... I think" :oops: )

And once again, coming back after a period of time away gives you a new perspective, which in my case is something I used to feel all the time when I was working in Vegas, Phoenix, or Hollywood: it's "WOW! This stuff is AMAZING! I can't believe I'm getting PAID for this!" And it's not about the money, it's about the technology and all that I've learned over a lifetime of doing this stuff. I've got Neumann and AKG mics. Millennia HV-3D preamps. Lots of headphone amps. LOTS and lots of channels of audio. Altiverb. Waves. A zillion other things. And there is a feeling of confidence now, that 15 years ago was more like ambition, as in "I can figure out a way to do that, even if I don't have the best of everything." Now it's just "I can do that." And goodness... it sounds great! This stuff IS amazing.

It truly is.

Shoosh

PS: Buzzy, if you read this: the Reflexion Pro filter is fantastic. I can hear every syllable, consonant, and vowel now. Sucker's worth the money and more. I wish it was a little easier to set up and adjust, but once you DO get it right, it rocks!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Re: For what it's worth...

Post by buzzsmith »

Just now read it! I know what you mean about a good "sabbatical". I think that I'm in need!

And, yes, the Reflexion is cool. It really worked great when I had to record vocals recently in my non-treated very reflective extra bedroom. (Hey, it's a HOME studio!)

In the acoustically treated room (another bedroom :) ), it might be not as necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sabbatical. That's the word I was looking for the whole time I was writing that. It had gotten stuck in some neuron probably damaged by foreign substances some 40 years ago.

Hehehe... thanks.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Funny, I am checking this just before walking out the door to check out isolation gobos. The Reflexion Pro is high on my list.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:Funny, I am checking this just before walking out the door to check out isolation gobos. The Reflexion Pro is high on my list.
I wound up buying it. What surprises me is that, reading the reviews and descriptions, I expected it to be heavy and it's not. Yes, I will mount it onto an Atlas MS25 because I happen to have one not being used.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

Shooshie wrote:You forget just exactly where things are, so it takes you a moment to find things.
Yup. And it takes me less than 3 months to get to that point. :-)

Glad to hear you're happy back in the saddle, Shoosh.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Even after just a week away (Colorado) very recently, it took me a bit to get back in the workflow with remembering key commands that I've used for years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I look forward to wanting a break someday. I'm finally getting to the point in my life where I'm finding myself busy enough to be overwhelmed on some days, and right now, that feels like success :-) I'm sure sooner or later I'll need a vacation, but I'm gonna ride this high as long as I can. Kids are in elementary school now so I get to work outside the home? Yes please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dp 8.07 - 2011 21.5" iMac 2.5 i5, 32GB Ram - OS X 10.10.5
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Behringer ADA8200, DigiDesign ElevenRack