Article Read: The next Web standard could be music notation

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
groove
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Article Read: The next Web standard could be music notation

Post by groove »

Peter Kirn at Create Digital music talks about a very interesting development for music notation involving some heavy weight partners to create an open source music notation code for the web.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/07/n ... qus_thread
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Article Read: The next Web standard could be music notat

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for posting that. It'll be interesting to follow as it develops.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think this suggests some great developments ahead for education, distribution and use of notated music.

The SMuFL thing seems big as well.

I'm really curious what effect it will have on notation programs. I mean, obviously, people will still need powerful editors to create files. But perhaps if things open up, there's be some quality elevating competition.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

One question that comes to mind is how much training will people need to use this? As it stands now, unless a user has some grounding in notation, programs are not very useful. You can't just play into them and get truly accurate notation. You have to know what it's supposed to be.

Another question is: what value and appeal it will have to the average consumer? Most people don't give a fiddler's fart about accuracy in the written word, let alone music notation, with grammar and proper use being all but ignored when it comes to online communication. So will online notation cause music notation to devolve in favor of short cuts that just give the basic info but not really represent what is actually happening in a score? As we here know (for the most part) the notes are just one small part of the picture. Articulation, expression, theory, and instrumental practices are critical in accurately notation any work of music. Most people want guitar chords over lyrics and could care less about all that "technical stuff."

I'd still love to see some standard get developed, however, I'm highly skeptical it will catch on for the main stream consumer who resents even paying 99¢ for a tune.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Color me sceptical.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote:Color me sceptical.
:rofl: I think we've pretty much covered all available parts of you in that color by now... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd be inclined to attenuate my enthusiasm & expectations, too.

If the right people continue to be included in the process, and if people with professional standards continue to provide feedback about things that are not proper-- it could evolve into a robust standard.

Time will tell.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Well, the learned Mr. Good, mentioned in that article, invented MusicXML to encode sheet music so that publishers could share that data. Then he found that publishers had absolutely zero interest in sharing that data with other publishers. It turns out that MusicXML has other uses and this worked out well for him.

He and I have done shows together and he told me this less than a year ago. Nice guy, we've been acquainted off and on (more off) for over 25 years.

I have no doubt that his intentions are exactly as stated but will the rest of the world follow or is he barking up that same tree?
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It looks like all they are doing is defining a set of conventions for displaying a score in a web page that anyone can use to publish a score with some reasonable assurance that anyone with a browser that conforms to web standards will see the same thing. We might expect notation applications to be able to export the HTML code, so XML seems a good place to start. If the standards doesn't accommodate the things people want to show in a score, at least there will be the opportunity of an agreed upon starting point for further development.

All anyone will need to produce a score is a text editor, a 2,000 page HTML manual, and a lot of time.

If Apple, Microsoft and Google are not on board, it will come to nothing anyway.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Mike, that's interesting. Michael Good and I were in a Chicago cover/tribute band briefly in the mid-to-late 80's when we both worked at Digital Equipment near Boston.

I ran into him here on this forum shortly after I joined, and we talked a bit about Music XML, but he hasn't really been active here in a long time and my last personal email bounced, so I wasn't sure if he was still involved here (though I have seen fairly recent industry postings that indicate he is at least still local to the SF Bay Area and a main player in Music XML).

One of the most pleasant people I've ever dealt with on a personal level, professional level, or as a bandmate. He is a passionate trumpet player and it carries over to his work and his dedication to Music XML as a format as well.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

On an associated note, though not exactly the same subject, Apple just announced an iPad with a stylus. Styluses are not welcome by most iPad users, but there is a fantastic notation program for Microsoft pads (whose name I have momentarily forgotten, but will remember later) which requires a stylus for full functionality. If I understand their comments correctly, the lack of a pointing device is the only thing keeping them from making that app available on the iPad. If that is true, then we might be seeing that app on the new iPads using a stylus.

And if that is the case, we'll be needing to import/export notation through Music XML to iOS devices. There could be interesting times ahead. Granted, that's a lot of "ifs."

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|