How to troll

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to troll

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

1 - If you're starting a new thread as a troll, it's best to start with a hyperbolic claim right in the title, such as:

MOTU closes their doors, website down!

New version of DP hoses your Mac

Science proves PT better than DP

Or just adapt any headline from the National Enquirer. What's most important is to start a discussion (or better yet, a rumor) that something terrible has happened.

One of the great parts of being a troll is being the harbinger of bad news. It's always best to make your first post on a board kind of crazy and über hyperbolic, so you can be sure to get some attention and action right away.

2 - If you're entering mid-thread, make a remark about how wrong someone else is and then state what a pro YOU are. It helps to add that you've used DP since its early releases (even if you haven't), that you've been "in the business" a long time and how many big stars you've worked with.

3 - Add a personal attack, or better yet, turn ANY observation by ANY member on any topic into a perceived attack on YOURSELF. Become the wounded party while maintaining your innocence. Don't back down! Trolling is all about your needing to "be right" even at the cost of looking like an ass. Remember: even helpful comments by others can be used as ammo against the posting member!

4 - Show your disgust! When you start to loose the argument, double down. You MUST be right and just say the other folks posting are idiots and you won't bother talking to them any more. You're "so done" wasting your time with them. It's passive-aggressive at its best! Threaten to take your football home!

5 - And finally, if all else fails in getting you the attention and actual power you so sorely lack in your real world, attack the board your posting on.

This is fail proof! Start with the membership in general. Tell how they only come to that board to praise a product and any criticism is banned and deleted. Call them fanboys! Claim the board is secretly run by corporate overlords. Dig in to your best conspiracy theories an adapt them to fit the occasion.

Make suggestions on how the board can be improved or how it's not performing technically on par with some other boards you troll...um... frequent.

As a last resort, take a few pot shots at the boards owner. Clearly he/she doesn't care a lick about how the board functions. They're just devoting their time and money as an ego boost and YOUR roll is to expose them for their folly, lack of technical savvy, and most of all their unprofessionalism.

That's really about it. For added enjoyment you might try posting in your underwear or at Starbucks, where you'll look like you're being a productive member of society. Above all, remember the motto of all trolls: Duh!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Re: How to troll

Post by Phil O »

Ouch, MLC. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :rofl:

But honestly, you're just stating what we all feel. Can I buy you a beer? 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Are you calling me an alcoholic?

See how it works? :)

Oh, BTW, believe me when I tell you: I AM holding back!

Oh wait! Was my initial post on this topic trolling? Ha ha ha! Trolling for trolls.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Perfect response! :lol:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

You don't have to get snippy! LOL :arrrr:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

"The Pocket Guide to Fighting with Idiots on the Internet" (NSFW)...and no, MLC, I'm not calling you an idiot!
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Are you calling me an alcoholic?
No, I'm calling you a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.
MIDI Life Crisis

HCMarkus wrote:
As soon as I can take a single step I'll see if I can get to step 2. :koolaid:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

HCMarkus wrote:
Exactly. That's why I asked if we could meet for a beer.

...and don't forget the pancakes. Frodo?

Good god. I hope this is in the off-topic section. :shock:
MIDI Life Crisis

Of course it's in the o/t section! BTW, I just saw Frodo this morning and just as soon he popped on The Ring and was off on another adventure!

I just wish one of the trolls would weigh in defending the practices... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Aren't we supposed to pay the troll a toll when we cross "that bridge"? :unicorn: :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Depends. What's your favorite color?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Addendum: Pick a feature, any feature, and say why it should or should't be in DP. Wait for someone, anyone, to disagree with you. Then explain ad nauseam how no one understands what a workflow is, or how one is supposed to use the app, or how tough it is for you to work under these circumstances. By all means, refer them back to your original trolling post and insist they haven't read it, or if they did, they didn't understand it. Rinse. Repeat.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Addendum: Pick a feature, any feature, and say why it should or should't be in DP. Wait for someone, anyone, to disagree with you. Then explain ad nauseam how no one understands what a workflow is, or how one is supposed to use the app, or how tough it is for you to work under these circumstances. By all means, refer them back to your original trolling post and insist they haven't read it, or if they did, they didn't understand it. Rinse. Repeat.
How do you even come up with this stuff? :wink:
MIDI Life Crisis

Observation
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS