How to troll

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to troll

Post by monkey man »

Surely if they simply augmented the previous series with clips explaining the new plugs, spectral display and what have you, the comparatively tiny cost of said additions could render the effort worthwhile in the long term?

IOW, add a little and rebadge for DP9, thereby value-adding to the original product.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Surely if they simply augmented the previous series with clips explaining the new plugs, spectral display and what have you, the comparatively tiny cost of said additions could render the effort worthwhile in the long term?

IOW, add a little and rebadge for DP9, thereby value-adding to the original product.
You might think so. But those those making the decision decided otherwise. There are some around here that could do it, but it looks like it would be a labour of love.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah... bummer...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:That may be because because there's just not enough different in DP9 to warrant new videos. Did they tell you they aren't doing it because nobody wants them?
What I was told is the effort in doing the first set wasn't justified by the money made.
You were misinformed. This from Groove3 this morning....

"I can confirm that we have no plans to halt production on MOTU products or Digital Performer specifically.
We do create new content based on customer request and general market interest. Right now we don't have any MOTU training in the works but that could change at any time.
I will officially include your email as a request for new DP training. Feel free to forward me any other MOTU products you would like to see training for and I will gladly add them to the customer request list as well.

Thanks for being part of the Groove3 family!"

Whoever told you that the first set flopped was talking trash, as I specifically asked about that.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

fwiw I sent groove3 a request on their website to update the DP tutorial videos to DP9, imo it might help if several DP users let Groove3 know that there are users who would want to get this updated tutorial.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yep, that's exactly what they said.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:1 - If you're starting a new thread as a troll, it's best to start with a hyperbolic claim right in the title, such as:

MOTU closes their doors, website down!

New version of DP hoses your Mac

Science proves PT better than DP

Or just adapt any headline from the National Enquirer. What's most important is to start a discussion (or better yet, a rumor) that something terrible has happened.

One of the great parts of being a troll is being the harbinger of bad news. It's always best to make your first post on a board kind of crazy and über hyperbolic, so you can be sure to get some attention and action right away.

2 - If you're entering mid-thread, make a remark about how wrong someone else is and then state what a pro YOU are. It helps to add that you've used DP since its early releases (even if you haven't), that you've been "in the business" a long time and how many big stars you've worked with.

3 - Add a personal attack, or better yet, turn ANY observation by ANY member on any topic into a perceived attack on YOURSELF. Become the wounded party while maintaining your innocence. Don't back down! Trolling is all about your needing to "be right" even at the cost of looking like an ass. Remember: even helpful comments by others can be used as ammo against the posting member!

4 - Show your disgust! When you start to loose the argument, double down. You MUST be right and just say the other folks posting are idiots and you won't bother talking to them any more. You're "so done" wasting your time with them. It's passive-aggressive at its best! Threaten to take your football home!

5 - And finally, if all else fails in getting you the attention and actual power you so sorely lack in your real world, attack the board your posting on.

This is fail proof! Start with the membership in general. Tell how they only come to that board to praise a product and any criticism is banned and deleted. Call them fanboys! Claim the board is secretly run by corporate overlords. Dig in to your best conspiracy theories an adapt them to fit the occasion.

Make suggestions on how the board can be improved or how it's not performing technically on par with some other boards you troll...um... frequent.

As a last resort, take a few pot shots at the boards owner. Clearly he/she doesn't care a lick about how the board functions. They're just devoting their time and money as an ego boost and YOUR roll is to expose them for their folly, lack of technical savvy, and most of all their unprofessionalism.

That's really about it. For added enjoyment you might try posting in your underwear or at Starbucks, where you'll look like you're being a productive member of society. Above all, remember the motto of all trolls: Duh!
You OBVIOUSLY know something about trolling!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I do miss the hunt.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Quick tangent: I had a subscription at one point to both Groove3 as well as MacProVideo. Some of the Reason videos were great and I learned a couple of new tidbits that I would never have discovered on my own. Good stuff. Same with logic, and even some ableton stuff even tho I don't use it at all.

That said, I watched ALL of the DP videos that were available at the time, and while the information was accurate, it was not engaging, and the content was not entirely relatable. Maybe it they did it with some Pop music or rock or something, throw in some EDM, then more people (see: idiot kids, also potential trolls) would pick up DP. This would not be all bad. This could drive some innovation and competition in the marketplace.

Go over to GearSlutz and talk trash on DP, I bet nobody will come to its defense. Mostly because most people there haven't ever heard of it, never mind taken the time to learn to love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dp 8.07 - 2011 21.5" iMac 2.5 i5, 32GB Ram - OS X 10.10.5
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Behringer ADA8200, DigiDesign ElevenRack
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Jamie wrote: Go over to GearSlutz and talk trash on DP, I bet nobody will come to its defense. Mostly because most people there haven't ever heard of it, never mind taken the time to learn to love it!
In my experience, any time DP is mentioned on GS it's immediately defended or discussed in a positive manner.

The only major thing I've really ever seen people upset about was the lack of an absolute grid and MIDI mute. Now only one of those things remains and the biggest detractor about absolute grid has figured out how to work around it for now (me).
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Robert Randolph wrote:In my experience, any time DP is mentioned on GS it's immediately defended or discussed in a positive manner.
Ok, that's probably true, but do the threads go onto the 2nd page? Or just pointed straight here? :surrender:
dp 8.07 - 2011 21.5" iMac 2.5 i5, 32GB Ram - OS X 10.10.5
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Behringer ADA8200, DigiDesign ElevenRack
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:The only major thing I've really ever seen people upset about was the lack of an absolute grid and MIDI mute. Now only one of those things remains and the biggest detractor about absolute grid has figured out how to work around it for now (me).
I've been away. Do you have a link to your revelation? Just curious to see if it's something I could have explained better in the beginning.

Thanks,
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|