Key Dip

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Key Dip

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Prime Mover wrote:Privias are crap...

Yep. Not to mention the psychological aspect of a "pro" board with the name Casio on it. Not exactly what I want to take to a gig...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

Well, that's a statement, MLC. One voice against Casio bashing here. I'm a piano player (Yamaha, Steinway mostly) and replaced my performance and studio keyboard with a Casio PX-5s a year ago after trying a demo and haven't looked back. The action alone is worth the upgrade. Casio engineers put a lot of time trying to hit the mark. The internal piano is very good also. A great gigging piano too. Somehow only 35 lbs. Casio is known for Lo end product, but it has a high quality line that is excellent. One (home) console PX I tried has an adjustable lid which enhances the sound even more.
You can always tape over the brand name. I've had to do this on keyboards contractually on several gigs due to sponsorship conflicts. No one but you will know :)

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Prime Mover wrote:Privias are crap...

Yep. Not to mention the psychological aspect of a "pro" board with the name Casio on it. Not exactly what I want to take to a gig...

I'm wearing that watch right now... I love that thing. I've had it for 20+ years and it still works like new.

I also love my Casio Privia keyboard. Demo'd everything in the store with a big chunk of money in my pocket, the Casio won out. Nicest action, most passable soundbank, best MIDI options.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's always been hard for me to put Yamaha the piano maker under the same roof with Yamaha the boat/motorcycle/stereo/etc. maker. I suppose if I rode a Harley it might be embarrassing to play on a Yamaha piano.

Hmm... gives me ideas. What if Steinway merged with Harley Davidson? Introducing the Harley Soft-tail Piano. Now there's a keyboard for rockin' & rollin'.

Well, I still stand by my earlier commentary, that whatever one plays on should at least be close to their most familiar piano keyboard in feel and action, so that their technique does not suffer when playing the MIDI keyboard. I guess if one's aspirations start and end with the MIDI keyboard, then it really doesn't matter.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:... that whatever one plays on should at least be close to their most familiar piano keyboard in feel and action, so that their technique does not suffer when playing the MIDI keyboard. I guess if one's aspirations start and end with the MIDI keyboard, then it really doesn't matter.

Shoosh
Well, I'm in big trouble if my wife in$i$t$ on one of these:

http://www.boesendorfer.com/en/silent-piano

(whew! only available in Europe!)
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

"an enormous 256 MB Wave-Rom (which allows long and very complex sound sampling)"

Enormous? Great, but what's the key dip?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8