JREF puts audiophile cables to the test again...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: JREF puts audiophile cables to the test again...

Post by monkey man »

philbrown wrote:As long as those cables are vegan, organic, non-GMO, cruelty-free, all natural, no MSG, dolphin safe and free trade, I'm in!

Those Haribo reviews are hilarious! I was at the hardware store the other day and someone in front of me in line was buying a couple of bags of Haribo candy and you kind of want to say something to them, but what would you say? Hard to summarize all those reviews in line at Ace Hardware!
Don't forget Gluten-free, Phil. LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Don't forget Gluten-free, Phil. LOL
And local. Has to be local.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:
It would be pretty funny to call up one of these audiophile companies: "Yes, I'm inquiring about your Super-Platinum-Titanium XYZ cables... I was wondering, are those dolphin-safe (or gluten free or whatever)?" and act completely serious about it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:
bayswater wrote:
It would be pretty funny to call up one of these audiophile companies: "Yes, I'm inquiring about your Super-Platinum-Titanium XYZ cables... I was wondering, are those dolphin-safe (or gluten free or whatever)?" and act completely serious about it.
Please record the conversation.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:There's a well-known Aussie Rules football commentator who used to call low, ground-skimming kicks worm burners. Great term.

Just shaking my head. I s'pose folks who've got the dough to blow will find a way to flush it down somehow.
Are you talking about Rex Hunt by any chance?

So depressed my Blues are playing the worst footy in ages and the new coach isn't helping. And my other team Geelong are only in 10th place and don't look like they'll make the final 8.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:An "audiophile" data cable?

The list of things of which I have heard now includes everything.
My thoughts exactly. Give me good old Cat 5 or Cat 6 (preferably Cat 6) and that's it. Now if someone designed a more robust connector so the little locking piece wouldn't break off just looking cross-eyed at it then I'd go for that.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

musicman691 wrote:
monkey man wrote:There's a well-known Aussie Rules football commentator who used to call low, ground-skimming kicks worm burners. Great term.

Just shaking my head. I s'pose folks who've got the dough to blow will find a way to flush it down somehow.
Are you talking about Rex Hunt by any chance?

So depressed my Blues are playing the worst footy in ages and the new coach isn't helping. And my other team Geelong are only in 10th place and don't look like they'll make the final 8.
I'm impressed, Jack!

Yeah, good ol' Rexie. I was actually a huge fan of his fishing shows back in the late '80s and '90s; his personality really shone through in this context / setting, as you might expect. Highly entertaining.

Poor ol' Blues... and the Cats... and Jack! I'm a 'Pie, and we just lost 5 in a row and dropped from 4th to somewhere out of the 8 (finals qualification). Guess we're both having a disastrous year in the footy.

May your womb never be bummed... I mean, worm never be burned, Jack.

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote: Are you talking about Rex Hunt by any chance?

I'm impressed, Jack!

Yeah, good ol' Rexie. I was actually a huge fan of his fishing shows back in the late '80s and '90s; his personality really shone through in this context / setting, as you might expect. Highly entertaining.

Poor ol' Blues... and the Cats... and Jack! I'm a 'Pie, and we just lost 5 in a row and dropped from 4th to somewhere out of the 8 (finals qualification). Guess we're both having a disastrous year in the footy.

May your womb never be bummed... I mean, worm never be burned, Jack.[/quote]
Long time Blues fan since back in the 70's when we first started getting it here in the States on late night (for us) TV. Back when they could actually contend and win Grand Finals. Now - not so much. Don't know what's happened to the Cats this year. Your side dropped 5 in a row - not good. It seems like some of the great teams are in a race to the bottom.

Rex was always fun to listen to and made even a bad match sound interesting. I don't know of anyone nowadays that comes close.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Exactly, so you can imagine what he did for fishing with his own show.

I met a couple on holiday in the '90s at Coral Bay over in Western Australia. It's a "nothing" spot, at least, it was back then - just a bunch of caravans and bungalows with an RO unit cleaning bore water for the taps. Folks used to go there just to switch off and dive or fish. Turns out the couple was inspired by Rex's show to get into fishing, hence the trip. I feel bad 'cause I've been trying to remember the wife's name ever since then out of respect. It was Joe and... dang. Wonderful people anyway.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

6 losses in a row now...

This sux. We were 4th on the ladder a month ago, and now we'll be lucky to play finals (top 8 teams). It's the worst run we've had in many a year.

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:6 losses in a row now...

This sux. We were 4th on the ladder a month ago, and now we'll be lucky to play finals (top 8 teams). It's the worst run we've had in many a year.
My teams split; at least the Cats won and are in the top 8 but only on percentages (but they get Sydney next match). And Carlton is going for the wooden spoon. Look at it this way - your 'Pies get Carlton next week - should be a win for you.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's what they all said last week with Melbourne. LOL

Seriously, it'll be anyone's game, and neither of us will gloat, both because it's not in our nature and because we're playing musical chairs at the bottom of the ladder.

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

monkey man wrote:That's what they all said last week with Melbourne. LOL

Seriously, it'll be anyone's game, and neither of us will gloat, both because it's not in our nature and because we're playing musical chairs at the bottom of the ladder.
Very true.