Harrison Mixbus 3

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Harrison Mixbus 3

Post by bayswater »

Version 3 is out. Update is $40. The notable difference is that it works as a CoreAudio or ASIO app. Also 64 bit. I liked the sound of V2 and used it once or twice linked to DP at the mix stage, but the need to use JackOS made it a PITA the use. The pre-release info suggested it would be usable as a plugin but that specific feature did not show up in the version 3 announcement. But it can use VST and AU plugins, and VIs. Getting closer to a DAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLcCtm ... e=youtu.be
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Re: Harrison Mixbus 3

Post by David Polich »

Over on Gearsutz (yes, I still go there, just don't post there anymore) there is a discussion thread on this. Posts range from "it sounds fantastic" to "I can't get anything to work".

I thought about it, but realized that you have to import all your audio stems from another DAW and then basically start over. And there's not a huge Harrison Mixbus user base. Quite possible that there never will be. No demo, so you have to buy it to "find out if it sounds good". Almost all of the
Mixbus plug-ins are options which you have to spend additional money to get. I'll pass.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Re: Harrison Mixbus 3

Post by bayswater »

Well I felt adventurous and I did buy it. The price, $40, less than the cost of a many basic bus compressors that emulate old analog equipment. It sounds "different". You can record audio and MIDI and use VIs, so you can do your basic 3 minute song. It IS pretty buggy as expected for the first release but you can work sound the bugs without much fuss.

I was helping some students set up a mixer at a live show last week and it occurred to me that Mixbus would be a good way to teach kids how a basic 8 bus mixer works.

It doesn't do anything you can't do with most daws. I'd happily pay the same $40 for a summing and channel strip plugin I could use in DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8