Computer Monitor Arrangement

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Computer Monitor Arrangement

Post by wdegillio »

I'm considering reorganizing my workspace. Now I have 2 computer monitors, a 21.5 inch and a 19 inch, next to each other (side by side) with my speakers (Dynaudio BM5's) outside of them. I like having the screen real estate of 2 monitors, but would also like to get my BM5's closer together. Is anyone using a multiple monitor set-up in which the monitors are not side-by-side, and if so, how do you like it? I've seen some Future Music production videos in which there is one main monitor (or an iMac), and an additional smaller monitor to the left or right of the speakers. I've also considered getting an articulating arm which bolts to the desktop and allows the other screen to be positioned above the main monitor. Any thoughts on this?
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
mikehalloran

Re: Computer Monitor Arrangement

Post by mikehalloran »

Most Macs can run up to 6 monitors but it gets tricky after 2.

Often, you'll have to use USB which requires additional hardware. The Mac may or may not remember the settings when you reboot but re-setting Display Preferences takes a few seconds.

Anyway, you can configure multiple monitors any way you want. I run three monitors. DP pn my 27" iMac, the Mixer to the right, separated by a monitor speaker and certain floating effects and whatever documentation I am using at the time on the third monitor to the left (again, separated by an audio monitor.

In Display Preferences, I set the three so that my cursor travels in the same plane. Again, takes a few seconds. If I don't do this, I can get lost as I switch screens.

This thread has a lot more information.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... or#p506252

Do what works best for you.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Thank you, Mike; some great info there.
Sometimes, I guess, the only way to know if something works for you is to try it for a while. I can try a different setup or two, and I'm sure I'll know soon enough if it's adding to or detracting from my comfort and productivity.

We now return you to our previously scheduled programs and DP 9 discussions.

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

For a while I tried one video monitor between the speakers, and one to the right. The arrangement didn't really work that well; I just wasn't aware of what was going on on the second monitor. Now I just make do with one large monitor between the speakers, and put windows less used on other virtual screens. I've seen monitors stacked vertically, but that looks like an invitation to neck pain.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I use 2 24" lcd's displayed vertically,basically the 2nd lcd is raised above the 1st (slightly behind the 1st) on a raised shelf on my desk.I have the mouse (magic trackpad)set up so i can go back and forth like it's one monitor.This works for me as I'm in a small NYC space and I'm using the Focal Twin6 horizontally on each side of the lcd's on the desk.
On a side note,I tried to use a kvm to share the 1st lcd with an older Mac Pro but I couldn't get the keyboard or mouse functions to work.
Subsequently I've been trying to find a cheap 15" lcd(dvi) to squeeze into the rig for the older Mac Pro maybe on an articulating arm but so far no luck........
I hope this make sense,lol!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Subsequently I've been trying to find a cheap 15" lcd(dvi) to squeeze into the rig for the older Mac Pro maybe on an articulating arm but so far no luck........
A 20" is easier to find these days.

All the new monitors are HDMI LED (you want backlit LED) these days but, when I was at Fry's last month, they still had a few older models with DVI. Fortunately, adapters are cheap.

The surprising thing about the new monitors nowadays is that they are so energy efficient nowadays that my new one is cool to the touch.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

mikehalloran wrote:
A 20" is easier to find these days.
Yeah,I've noticed the 20" lcd's are also much cheaper,for me it's actually a space issue.
I am also still a bit surprised I couldn't find a good usb/dvi based kvm solution.I bought a well rated kvm made by Iogear,the monitors worked well but Iogear tech support confirmed that the KVM I tried is not compatible with Apple keyboards so I couldn't use 2 keyboards and 2 usb mice I tried.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

KVM has never played well with Mac.

How did this go from multi-monitor to KVM?

LCD only monitors are pretty much obsolete. Although the current ones are technically LED backlit LCD, they are referred to as LED.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Thanks for the LED/LCD clarification.
The lack of a kvm solution is prompting me to look for a 3rd monitor(LCD/LED)so for me it's pretty relevant in relation to my computer monitor arrangement. This also might be helpful to others.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

wdegillio wrote:I'm considering reorganizing my workspace. Now I have 2 computer monitors, a 21.5 inch and a 19 inch, next to each other (side by side) with my speakers (Dynaudio BM5's) outside of them. I like having the screen real estate of 2 monitors, but would also like to get my BM5's closer together. Is anyone using a multiple monitor set-up in which the monitors are not side-by-side, and if so, how do you like it? I've seen some Future Music production videos in which there is one main monitor (or an iMac), and an additional smaller monitor to the left or right of the speakers. I've also considered getting an articulating arm which bolts to the desktop and allows the other screen to be positioned above the main monitor. Any thoughts on this?
I've used an over/under configuration in the past due to other limitations in my work space. I actually liked that. I'm even more limited now, so I rely more on the mac's mission control.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Monoprice.com has a bunch of inexpensive monitor arms. I have one, used for a third monitor off to the side I use to monitor picture while creating tracks. My two main 24" IPS displays are mounted between the monitors on a much more elegant (i.e. expensive) Innovative pneumatic arm, but I have found that I rarely move them once positioned properly, so a bare-bones arm would have probably been fine.

It is cool to have monitors floating in the air without stands cluttering the desktop beneath.
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Wow- lots of food for thought here. Thanks to everyone for their input concerning their lcd setups. Come to think of it, I could probably also get by with one monitor if I took the time to learn a few key commands, but I'll try a few different arrangements to see what feels the best. I'll at least try the over-under to satisfy my curiosity.

By the way, Mike, you ask how we got on the subject of KVM switches from the topic of lcd setups? Well, someone must be psychic, because I almost bought one a few weeks ago; I still have my old cheese grater 2.1 Mac Pro that I'm keeping in case I want to run Unisyn, and I was going to try to shoehorn it into my setup with a KVM. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

kgdrum wrote:Thanks for the LED/LCD clarification.
The lack of a kvm solution is prompting me to look for a 3rd monitor(LCD/LED)so for me it's pretty relevant in relation to my computer monitor arrangement. This also might be helpful to others.
Thanks. It makes sense now. I was curious, not being contrary.