I think it's time for me to leave Gearslutz

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I think it's time for me to leave Gearslutz

Post by David Polich »

I've decided to leave Gearslutz.com. Not that I won't still visit (the "New Product Alert" section, because sometimes that's the only place some companies post about new releases). But I'm done
with posting over there anymore.

I decided this after my last post answering what were some outright lies about MOTU's tech support
and DP in the New Product Alert section thread about the release of DP9. Sure enough, I was
answered by a host of Pro Fools users who posted the usual "PT is the greatest DAW on earth and DP is the worst" crap. These are the same people who regularly diss anything UA puts out. To them, the only DAW's worth mention are PT and Studio One, and the only plug-ins worth having are the
ones from Acustica.

I left KVR audio four years ago for the same basic reasons. Just sick and tired of these arrogant
elitists. I'd much rather stick to this forum and the sensible people who participate on it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: I think it's time for me to leave Gearslutz

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Is there a website that we HAVEN'T felt that way about?

I feel your pain (joy?) and sincerely think it is the result of how badly computers are at actually sending communications between humans. You make a mild joke and someone thinks they are under attack. They strike back. You (the editorial "you" not you personally David) reacts to defend yourself, or even try to explain the comment but their knickers are too far into a knot and the blood supply to their brain is already cut off. Nothing to be done.

It's time to face it. Computers are great for many things, but as far as their ability to transfer communications between humans, even smoke signals are more effective.

But wait, there's more!

In "specialized" sites, people often feel a need to appear knowledgable (and often "more knowledgable" then the next person). Humor and irony are completely lost in digital translation and the rest... well, you've figured that part out, apparently.

For myself, I visit just two "social" sites on the internet. Seriously! Just two: Motunation and Facebook.

Motunation because regardless of the occasional kerfuffel and misunderstanding, the members really do have a common purpose to understand and share their experiences with DP and all things MOTU. Plus, it is owned and run by a gentlemen with patience and understanding.

Facebook... well, it's a mixed blessing, but you do get to block idiots and delete posts on your timeline or which tag you. It's great for connecting with friends from the past, making new friends, and building an audience (for performers) and even getting work (as an independent artist).

Maybe once a week (sometimes once a month) I'll check out the Finale user group or a film website, but other than that, that's it.

I always found Gearslutz to be a free for all frequented by the kinds of folks I'd never want to hang with personally. I've become best friends with a couple of Motunation folks (in person!) and a few of the musicians in LA I really respect (and also know personally) are on here.

So please, David, continue to hang with us. :unicorn: F those gearslutz trolls! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

David Polich wrote:I've decided to leave Gearslutz.com. Not that I won't still visit (the "New Product Alert" section, because sometimes that's the only place some companies post about new releases). But I'm done

I decided this after my last post answering what were some outright lies about MOTU's tech support
and DP in the New Product Alert section thread about the release of DP9. Sure enough, I was
answered by a host of Pro Fools users who posted the usual "PT is the greatest DAW on earth and DP is the worst" crap. These are the same people who regularly diss anything UA puts out. To them, the only DAW's worth mention are PT and Studio One, and the only plug-ins worth having are the
ones from Acustica.

I left KVR audio four years ago for the same basic reasons. Just sick and tired of these arrogant
elitists. I'd much rather stick to this forum and the sensible people who participate on it.
Hey David-

Sorry to hear about your experience on Gearslutz. Those forums do have a tendency to get ugly and out of control.

I did want to ask you about MOTU's tech support however. I was wondering if tech links get read over there. I ask because I submitted a couple of tech links back in January, and they still show up as unread.

I uploaded another one today, so I'm curious as to whether or not it will suffer the same fate.

thanks
Carlos
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was over at Synthtopia and someone was being unnecessarily rough on DP9. I called him/her on it and gave a more positive framing.

I do wish MOTU would answer all techlinks, but I don't know what that looks like. Do they get 1000 of those a day?! No idea.

Another thing I wish they would do is to go through and update and polish up their articles in the Knowledge Base. There are lots of basic things that are missing or haven't been updated in 10 years. Also, if they take time to solve someone's problem in a techlink, to then summarize that process and add it to the knowledge base.

Ok, but back to the topic at hand. This is a GREAT forum!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I've had good results with Techlinks, sometimes answered within a few minutes, sometimes by the Magic man himself. Perhaps it is all in the timing, as maybe they answer the ones that percolate to the top. To those who have unanswered Techlinks, I suggest resubmitting them. It couldn't hurt.

As to (anti) social media and the internet in general for interpersonal communications being horrible for communication, AMEN I say to that. (did I just violate forum "no religion" rules?). When the art of letter writing died, and people lost the ability to convey thing like irony without a host of little smileys and emoticons, a part of interpersonal communication died, also. The internet can bring out the worst in folks in the same way as scribbling graffiti on a restroom wall. Sometimes it makes me just want to turn in my membership card to the human race and not re-up the dues. Motunation is an oasis.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

csavetman wrote:
David Polich wrote:I've decided to leave Gearslutz.com. Not that I won't still visit (the "New Product Alert" section, because sometimes that's the only place some companies post about new releases). But I'm done

ones from Acustica.

Hey David-

Sorry to hear about your experience on Gearslutz. Those forums do have a tendency to get ugly and out of control.

I did want to ask you about MOTU's tech support however. I was wondering if tech links get read over there. I ask because I submitted a couple of tech links back in January, and they still show up as unread.

I uploaded another one today, so I'm curious as to whether or not it will suffer the same fate.

thanks
Carlos
My personal experience with MOTU has been
that they do answer techlinks. Not always immediately,
but I have always gotten an answer (longest time it
took to get an answer was a week). If you want a
more or less immediate answer, then I recommend
calling tech support. I have done so a couple of
times and got a support person within
three minutes each time.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

There was also an unfair, "popularist" comment in that thread about MOTUNation which I was seriously tempted to respond to, and I still am. It's ironic that whilst I've been lurking there for over 10 years (at least, I think), it wasn't 'till the AVB thread had grown quite substantially and the answers I required hadn't been posted that I was "forced" to sign up and make that dreaded appearance. I've tip-toed on eggshells and appear to have survived the first few months unscathed, something I'd credit my not biting where I'd perhaps otherwise have done so to, especially here.

It's too easy to run with the flock. The hype train seems to be forging a new path for humanity via the social-media avenue.

I doubt there's a single member here who doesn't sympathise with your decision, David. Kudos to you, brother.

Oh, and amen. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Tip toeing? You have feet like me, bro, with viola cases for shoes.

I gotcha tip toe right cheer...!

LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I sometimes take a peek, shake my head and move on. I rarely post.

All forums of that type have a few armchair experts, those with no real experience or expertise who pontificate ad nauseum. They believe that, just because they cribbed a thought from somewhere on the Internet, they must be right and no contradiction is to be tolerated. Gearslutz is their Mecca.

At least, with Mad Magazine, "The usual gang of idiots" describes a humor magazine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:I've had good results with Techlinks, sometimes answered within a few minutes, sometimes by the Magic man himself. Perhaps it is all in the timing, as maybe they answer the ones that percolate to the top.
My experience is the same. Always answered, usually in a day or two, and sometimes by Dave. But what does "percolate to the top" mean? How does that happen? Apparently, a lot of Techlinks are never read, or if they are, their status is not updated. Either way, it doesn't look good for MOTU.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I will say, the AVB Thread at BeerGuts has been exceptionally good, with MOTU rep Mr. Miller providing a lot of fast , helpful feedback to AVB owners and prospective owners.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:I will say, the AVB Thread at BeerGuts has been exceptionally good, with MOTU rep Mr. Miller providing a lot of fast , helpful feedback to AVB owners and prospective owners.
Yes, that's true. I suppose that's where MOTU needs the exposure, but I have to think the thread would be a lot more succinct if it was here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Apparently, a lot of Techlinks are never read, or if they are, their status is not updated. Either way, it doesn't look good for MOTU.
I have experienced that but it was a long time ago.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Every non specific audio forum that I've run across has it's pundits and naysayers. Even this place has strong feelings about other DAWs besides DP, but that's to be expected here. The problem with places like KVR and Gearslutz boils down to the same problem, huge forums, too few moderators, and people with an agenda based on a negative experience they had, whether their fault or an anomaly, doesn't matter.
The DP9 preview thread on Gearslutz has a developer from MOTU commenting in it, and I found out that you can adjust the edit resolution via a key command, (I had been searching Commands for 'edit' and 'quantize' to no avail), so for me at least I feel like it's worth wading through the pro fools commenting about how awesome their DAW is because they tried DP once ten years ago etc.

Doesn't mean I don't understand the feeling though. I've left a comment in a thread before and was loath to read the response from some autistic audio 'genius' the next day, the thought of interacting with the time sucking unintentional troll turning my stomach. :evil:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I think we're pretty spoiled here to a lot of courtesies you rarely find online. I posted about a suspected hack at eBay in their user community forums, where I quickly learned that they don't even WANT to know what you said. They're looking for any slight inconsistency of language, or any opening you may have left unguarded, looking for anything to attack. It was comical, really, but I had to walk away from that bizarre display of rotten human behavior which always pretends to occupy the moral high ground while turning any utterance on your part into something you didn't say, never intended, and that wasn't even related to the purpose of the post. In my responses I kept reminding them that I was not there to solicit advice about bidding from their experts, which they seemed hell-bent on giving me, despite its irrelevance to my subject.

That I wanted to focus on the potential hacking I had observed, and really didn't need educating about eBay, inflamed them. To my surprise, I was too good for their advice, thought I was better than their experts, had neglected to thank them for their selfless posts, yadda, yadda, yadda. My real purpose, to discuss whether anyone knew if a certain feature at eBay had been hacked (because it sure looked ilke it), was immediately labeled a conspiracy theory!!! I mean, imagine that if you posted here about a potential bug in DP, you were labeled a conspiracy theorist, and MOTU was "out to get you!"

By attempting to have a rational discussion about something that might have been a concern to many people, I was told I was a conspiracy theorist, full of myself, thought I was better at bidding than their experts, and who was ungrateful for their posts and rude to all. If people behaved as these folks did face-to-face at, say, a town-hall meeting, they'd be suspected of mental illness, and probably removed and taken to a hospital for mental evaluation. But they operate in packs at online forums, and since you're in their territory, their pack mentality is "normal" for that place. You are the crazy one for dropping in and thinking they might be interested in discussing something.

This forum, by comparison, is milk and honey.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|