RIP Chris Squire

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RIP Chris Squire

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: RIP Chris Squire

Post by Babz »

Totally floored.

His distinctive style and the biting treble tone of his Rickenbacker bass completely redefined the possibilities of the bass guitar, and were an essential part of the Yes sound. Classic tracks like Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround forever transformed the role of the bass guitar in a rock ensemble. I was fortunate to have seen Yes during their peak years of the early 70s and seeing Chris Squire will always be part of my most treasured musical memories. RIP, Maestro.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not unexpected as he's been sick for awhile. Still sad when the time comes. He was one of the greats.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Yes, Zeppelin, Santana, Jazz.....my early influences.

Thank you Chris for founding such an interesting group. Now go up to heaven and jam with Jaco.... :)
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sad news, indeed. I didn't catch much pop stuff in the 70s and 80s, because I was in the woodshed too much. Er... that means practicing. But the stuff I DID listen to was the stuff where great instrumental playing was involved: anything jazz, Yes, ELP, BS&T, Chicago, EW&F, and others, so it really hurts to see my old heroes hit the DS al Fine. May they all rest in peace.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kurtl

Post by kurtl »

http://youtu.be/T2WYvryNoZM
1975 Fish Out of Water
Goosebumps every time and now tears.
DP 10.11, OSX 10.11.6, MacPro 2.8/8 10gigs RAM, 2408Mk3, 2408Mk2, 2 Fastlanes, 2-UAD2 solos, Machfive 2/3.2.1, MSI, BFD3
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm kind of battle-fatigued this week from all the deaths of my icons.

Last night I found out that Patrick Macnee (Steed in The Avengers) had just passed away. He did so much to fight for equality and parity of women in television and film.

There were composer deaths earlier in the week.

Chris Squire was my biggest influence on the bass -- right up there with Paul McCartney.

I knew about his cancer, but didn't realize it was a fast form. So, I was shocked, given that I thought he had his own tour lined up for his side project and had simply had to pull back from Yes because they have a more aggressive tour schedule than he could handle in his health.

Jon Anderson had a really nice eulogy. It really got to the heart of what sort of person Chris was, and how he was the glue that held that band together (Yes, that is) through all its trials and tribulations.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mhschmieder wrote:I'm kind of battle-fatigued this week from all the deaths of my icons.

Last night I found out that Patrick Macnee (Steed in The Avengers) had just passed away. He did so much to fight for equality and parity of women in television and film.

There were composer deaths earlier in the week.

Chris Squire was my biggest influence on the bass -- right up there with Paul McCartney.

I knew about his cancer, but didn't realize it was a fast form. So, I was shocked, given that I thought he had his own tour lined up for his side project and had simply had to pull back from Yes because they have a more aggressive tour schedule than he could handle in his health.

Jon Anderson had a really nice eulogy. It really got to the heart of what sort of person Chris was, and how he was the glue that held that band together (Yes, that is) through all its trials and tribulations.
Ironic that Jon has out survived Chris when it was Jon’s health and the band’s lack of sympathy for Jon’s health issues that broke up the last incarnation of the band and it was Jon who stayed off later tours. And then Chris dies...wow...really ironic.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Crikey, It never rains...

I'm afraid to say "another one bites the dust" lest another member of Queen should follow suit.

So sad, this week.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
magicd

Post by magicd »

In 1976 I saved up all my pennies and went Mannys to pick up a Ric 4001. Squire was the first bassplayer whose lines I copped. Huge influence. Saw Yes many times. Got to meet him a few years ago and he autographed the bass for me. Very nice guy in person

RIP Chris

Dave
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

monkey man wrote:Crikey, It never rains...
Yes indeed. Too many RIPs posted lately. Sad.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

magicd wrote:In 1976 I saved up all my pennies and went Mannys to pick up a Ric 4001. Squire was the first bassplayer whose lines I copped. Huge influence. Saw Yes many times. Got to meet him a few years ago and he autographed the bass for me. Very nice guy in person

RIP Chris

Dave
well now we know for sure you'll never sell that bass !! Hey did they ever make a "Chris Squire" version of the bass? So many artists have their own versions of instruments nowadays. I've been playing the George Benson model jazz guitar for 35+ years it's the best guitar I've ever played. If I could ever get him to sign it that would be amazing.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
crduval

Post by crduval »

RIP Chris. I so enjoyed his sound and his playing. Roundabout is one of my absolute favorite songs in large part because of his driving bass part. The live version on Yessongs really cranks too. I'm so grateful for the hours and hours of enjoyment that he brought me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller