Whence the unicorn?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
musicman691

Whence the unicorn?

Post by musicman691 »

Been looking at the recently released AVB interfaces and noticed something missing - the Unicorn on the front panel. I have an old MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV USB and our friendly mascot is right there on the left hand side of the front panel. Any ideas when he disappeared?
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Whence the unicorn?

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote:Been looking at the recently released AVB interfaces and noticed something missing - the Unicorn on the front panel. I have an old MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV USB and our friendly mascot is right there on the left hand side of the front panel. Any ideas when he disappeared?
I bought a MOTU 1296 in 2002. No unicorn.
In 2000 I bought a 1224. I no longer have it, but I think it had the unicorn. That means the poor mono-antlered beast went to horned-horse-havens, or at least greener pastures, between the two.

Hey, I just noticed, to narrow it down further, my 2408mkII purchased in spring of 2001 has the unicorn. That means it joined Puff and Pegasus between summer, 2001 and spring, 2002.

But don't think it's gone forever. Legend has it that during beta-testing it returns to MOTU and plods among the cubicles expressing its opinions about buggy code. If one was quick with a camera, one might catch it in front of a monitor at just the right moment, and...

:unicorn:
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:my 2408mkII purchased in spring of 2001 has the unicorn.
Mine, purchased quite a bit later than that has one too. My DP5 box doesn't. It was somewhere early in this millennium that branding gurus decided symbols has to go, to be replaced with simple sans serif fonts.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Looked and found I got my MIDI Timepiece AV USB back in 2006. So that kind of throws the dates into a bit of disarray unless MOTU just sold whatever they had with the unicorn on the front panel and that was it.