Camel Alchemy lives on in GarageBand.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Camel Alchemy lives on in GarageBand.

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Re: Camel Alchemy lives on in GarageBand.

Post by mikehalloran »

For those who didn't get (or don't remember) the memo:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/24/80983 ... io-plugins
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Please, Apple, bring us Alchemy available in AU again, and keep developing this stunning VI and its libraries!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

This makes me really sad to see such a stellar soft synth reduced to this.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Such a shame...
Well, hum, hum... Will I go backwards on the hardware synth road?
These days, I'm enjoying my Novation Ultranova...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Was that the right link? How do you know that's Alchemy?

Remember when this buyout was first announced, and many people said they won't miss Alchemy.

Well, on Monday night I needed an organic sound that evoked certain forest creatures and was capable of reacting to a carefully crafted multi-octave portamento. Alchemy to the rescue!

I was originally trying to emulate Adrian Belew's "Elephant Talk" sound from his King Crimson Discipline days, using a guitar trigger and some wild flanging, but gave up on that quickly.

It took me almost no time, using Alchemy's excellent search engine, to find something different that still met my actual artistic goal and also felt like it had my signature due to how it reacted to my playing vs. my original idea of emulating a known sound from yore.

Cameleon 5000, based on the Kawai 5000 additive synth (which I owned for awhile in its rack edition but sold once I discovered the software version and also after giving up on ever winning an eBay bid on the rare keyboard version that had the special multi-controller knob module), was always great at evoking the sounds of nature, and that part of the Alchemy engine is still what I like best.

I'm too tired to dig out the notes at this late hour as a reminder of the artist/scientist's name, but my company sponsored a lecture and musical demonstration recently at our company theatre, by a guy who is specializing in studying the frequency spectrum of natural areas. He learned that creatures of all sizes find an acoustical niche to "communicate" in, and that they "move on" if their preferred niche (and all adaptive niches) are already "taken". Human impact is thus even greater than we realized.

Anyway, I have taken it upon myself to obey this principle when writing soundscape oriented material from now on, whether it is melodic or purely aesthetic. It has been quite an awakening, and Alchemy is playing a BIG role in meeting that goal.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH