NPR Quiz – can you hear the difference?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NPR Quiz – can you hear the difference?

Post by Michael Canavan »

Robert Randolph wrote:A minor nitpick: of all the compression artifacts that are audible in MP3 encoding, aliasing is not one of them.

Aliasing is a pretty major thing for a lot of algorithms we use in audio production, but when discussing MP3 encoding it's not.
OK well, dirt in the high end. It's very obvious with the 128bit versions, and to me anyway it sounds very similar to the warbley sound of aliasing in the high end of samples from years ago. I suppose artifacts is the correct term.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:A minor nitpick: of all the compression artifacts that are audible in MP3 encoding, aliasing is not one of them.

Aliasing is a pretty major thing for a lot of algorithms we use in audio production, but when discussing MP3 encoding it's not.
It's been a long time since I heard low-quality mp3s, and I'm talking about things posted in the mid-1990s, but I'm pretty sure aliasing was a problem in those. When you hear high-pitch modulations like someone turning a radio dial in the movies, that's aliasing. It's usually caused by rate conversion during the compression process.

Examples: http://www.audiorecording.me/dithering- ... study.html

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I have a semi-related question. I did an electronic new age CD a few years ago. The nature of what I was trying to do called for a lot of whispy high frequency synth material. The 24 bit masters sound great (to me), but dropping to 16 bit caused some harshness in those high frequencies, not bad, but noticeable on direct comparison. Harshness might be a bit strong- maybe just "less smooth". As far as terminology- is that aliasing, or would you call that something else? I'm most likely mis-using the term aliasing when I blanketly use it to describe harshness in high frequencies.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

philbrown wrote:I have a semi-related question. I did an electronic new age CD a few years ago. The nature of what I was trying to do called for a lot of whispy high frequency synth material. The 24 bit masters sound great (to me), but dropping to 16 bit caused some harshness in those high frequencies, not bad, but noticeable on direct comparison. Harshness might be a bit strong- maybe just "less smooth". As far as terminology- is that aliasing, or would you call that something else? I'm most likely mis-using the term aliasing when I blanketly use it to describe harshness in high frequencies.
There's no way to know what caused the issue, or what you heard, without more information. It could have been aliasing, or something else.

The only thing for sure, is that a simple bit-depth reduction would not cause aliasing. If there was a sample rate reduction, or use of some other process, then it could possibly be aliasing.