NI accounts hacked

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
musicman691

NI accounts hacked

Post by musicman691 »

Hopefully this isn't widespread and I'm the only one but it seems like my NI forum account which is separate from my regular NI account was hacked. Went to login and it kept telling me my password was not valid. I cleared all cookies and knew I was entering the right password (it's a different p/w than my other account) so I ended up going through the 'forgot my password' routine.

Not posting this to complain or whine but just to let others know what happened.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NI accounts hacked

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That doesn't necessarily indicate a hacked site. Did NI it was hacked?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That doesn't necessarily indicate a hacked site. Did NI it was hacked?
NI hasn't said anything yet; this just happened over the weekend. It sure as heck wasn't anything on my end because as I said I cleared browser cookies and also the cache and I had the right password. Also had the problem in both Firefox and Safari. It could have been a hack, database corruption, I dunno but my money is on a hack for now.
MIDI Life Crisis

NI accounts hacked

Quite an assumption. Could also be coding error or a maintenance issue. It happens every so often on a number of sites, even across devices and then later, it's not an issue. Even on this site every so often.

The point being that your post title is overly alarmist without any proof than what you "think."

Sometimes it's important the remember not to believe everything you think, and more important to not spread unfounded rumors with no more evidence than a misbehaving login screen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Quite an assumption. Could also be coding error or a maintenance issue. It happens every so often on a number of sites, even across devices and then later, it's not an issue. Even on this site every so often.

The point being that your post title is overly alarmist without any proof than what you "think."

Sometimes it's important the remember not to believe everything you think, and more important to not spread unfounded rumors with no more evidence than a misbehaving login screen.
Well excuse me for letting people know about a possible issue. I'd rather get it out there and later be proved wrong than to not say anything and later find out others are having the same issue and could use confirmation.
MIDI Life Crisis

Now it's a "possible" issue., not the definitive issue your alarmist thread title would suggest. Exactly. Thanks for confirming that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Now it's a "possible" issue., not the definitive issue your alarmist thread title would suggest. Exactly. Thanks for confirming that.
Actually since I wrote my previous post I found posts in threads on the NI forums where I've never posted so it's gone from theoretical to actually happening. The NI forums are notorious for periodic spam and it looks like I've gotten caught in that.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Everybody's NI Forum account is separate from their NI account. I have had to reset my Forum password a few times over the years.

A quick Google search shows that this is an ongoing complaint going back a decade.

Something about jumping to conclusions...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

So is the thread topic accurate in the least? It would appear not. No soup for you.

NEXT!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:Everybody's NI Forum account is separate from their NI account. I have had to reset my Forum password a few times over the years.

A quick Google search shows that this is an ongoing complaint going back a decade.

Something about jumping to conclusions...
I know they are separate and that's not the complaint. Talk about jumping - seems like you're the one. Read what I wrote above and you'll see it went from what posters here are seeing as theoretical to actually happening.
MIDI Life Crisis

It's all still conjecture. I'm done here.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So is the thread topic accurate in the least? It would appear not. No soup for you.

NEXT!
It is accurate, at least for me. How else would someone be able to use my account without it being hacked? Would you internet gurus care to explain that?
MIDI Life Crisis

Even if YOUR account was hacked, it doesn't mean all NI accounts have been hacked. Again, just because you have a cold doesn't mean the world has a cold. What part of the word "evidence" don't you get?

The title of the thread might be "My NI account MAY HAVE been hacked." At the moment it would appear the sky is NOT falling. But do go on...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Even if YOUR account was hacked, it doesn't mean all NI accounts have been hacked. Again, just because you have a cold doesn't mean the world has a cold. What part of the word "evidence" don't you get?

The title of the thread might be "My NI account MAY HAVE been hacked." At the moment it would appear the sky is NOT falling. But do go on...
I told you of the evidence I found and if that's not enough for you then what can I say? Geez - I'm sorry I even brought it up :shake:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robin: Holy Catwoman-wardrobe-malfunctions, Batman! Someone on the internet is WRONG! And someone else is arguing Semantics!

Batman: I see that on the Internet Forum Interface, Robin. The whole Internet is in jeopardy. We've got to act quickly!

Robin: Quick, to the BatMouse, Batman!

ZOOM! ZIP! WHOOSH!

Batman: Well, here we are, Robin. According to the Internet Forum Interface (IFI), there's really not much going on here.

Robin: Could be a trap, Batman. I'm glad you brought the Iffy. We can look at Catwoman's site while we wait.

Batman: It's the If-I. Long I.

Robin: I thought we always said iffy. Like Jiffy.

Batman: Are you nuts? We never said iffy. It's If-I.

Robin: Iffy!

Batman: Robin, don't you see what's happening? The internet is failing. It's lured us into its grasp, too. We can fix it by just walking away, negating its power over us.

Robin: Holy Julie Newmar, Batman, you're right!

Batman: Anne Hathaway

MIDI Life Crisis : Halle Berry

musicman691: Michelle Pfeiffer

Batman: See, Robin? Its force field is getting more powerful. To the Batcopter!

Wallace: It's the Internet, Gromit, and it's gone WRONG!

Gromit: !!!

Batman: DOH!

Shooshie: I'm outa here! :koolaid:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|