external cd burn/wave editor versus built-in to DP functions

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
musicman691

external cd burn/wave editor versus built-in to DP functions

Post by musicman691 »

I've been in the mastering software thread and it's raised a few questions I have that I didn't want to ask there. The short version: is third party s/w that does cd burn, waveform editing better than what can be done in DP 8.07 alone? I know there's probably ease of use and some functionality differences between the two ways to go and I'm not asking for what the differences are as I can figure that out. I just want to know what does the job better?

Is it easier to edit waveforms in say DSP-Quattro than inside DP? For those that use DSP-Quattro do you have it set as the default waveform editor in DP?

Then we get to CD burning. It's apparent that DSP-Quattro does a LOT more than DP's built-in burn routine but again - which is the better one? How about dither? Do you use the dither function in either or another like from Izotope?

As I mentioned in that other thread I'm currently using Adobe Audition as my cd mastering and burner as well as waveform editing. I have the version prior to when they went subscription so I don't have all the latest bells and whistles. It does good work but cd assemblage is a bit on the clunky side; certainly not as elegant as DSP-Quattro or the Hofa burner s/w. I had thought of going to the subscription model for AA but I have an allergy to subscription s/w.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: external cd burn/wave editor versus built-in to DP funct

Post by bayswater »

If you're proficient with DP, it would be difficult to see how using DSP-Q is any easier. But because DSP-Q does a few things and DSP does a zillion, I'll sometimes be wondering how to do something in DP, but knowing exactly how to do it in DSP-Q, so I go there. It's batch processing is useful.

I don't use it as the default audio editor in DP because I'm often using the DP editor to deal with beat and tempo markers.

In previous versions, there were some problems with burning CDs in DP, and rather than puzzle it through, I just used DSP-Q. The problems in DP might be gone now, I haven't looked.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If it's just a CD burn, I do it in Toast. When preparing a DDP, I use DSP-Q.

When editing a wave form, I prefer DP but that's because I want as much done in DP as I can. I consider much of the DSP-Q functionality as nice but not necessary to the savvy DP user with the plugins that I use. Other people have different work flows.

Yes, I can use DP to burn a CD but I've not done so in years.

There are a few functions such as making bootable DVDs and certain CD disk images that are best done in Apple's Disk Utility via Terminal.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:If you're proficient with DP, it would be difficult to see how using DSP-Q is any easier. But because DSP-Q does a few things and DSP does a zillion, I'll sometimes be wondering how to do something in DP, but knowing exactly how to do it in DSP-Q, so I go there. It's batch processing is useful.

I don't use it as the default audio editor in DP because I'm often using the DP editor to deal with beat and tempo markers.

In previous versions, there were some problems with burning CDs in DP, and rather than puzzle it through, I just used DSP-Q. The problems in DP might be gone now, I haven't looked.
Thanks for the post. I'm a little confused by your first paragraph, particularly the line 'But because DSP-Q does a few things and DSP does a zillion...' I'm assuming you're comparing DSP-Quattro and DP but don't know which is which. Do you actually mean 'But because DSP-Q does a few things and DP does a zillion..."?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:If it's just a CD burn, I do it in Toast. When preparing a DDP, I use DSP-Q.

When editing a wave form, I prefer DP but that's because I want as much done in DP as I can. I consider much of the DSP-Q functionality as nice but not necessary to the savvy DP user with the plugins that I use. Other people have different work flows.

Yes, I can use DP to burn a CD but I've not done so in years.

There are a few functions such as making bootable DVDs and certain CD disk images that are best done in Apple's Disk Utility via Terminal.
Thanks, but I can't see buying Toast if I buy DSP-Quattro. Frankly I don't need the extra stuff Toast does. And as far as a bootable dvd I can do that in Carbon Copy Cloner which I already have. That works a treat.

As to the editing if I find a tool that does something better or easier than what's available in the daw I'm using I'll buy and use the extra tool. I don't care what I use as long as it does the job I want without muss or fuss.

I am thankful you took the time to write because like I said I'm trying to find out what's the best tool for the job. If one goes by the copy on a website you'd think every program is the best thing since sliced bread.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP's CD burning capabilities have never worked in creating a usable disc for me. Add to that it's only available in 44.1k projects and it becomes a deal killer.

I'd stay with DSP-Q or Toast.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:Do you actually mean 'But because DSP-Q does a few things and DP does a zillion..."?
Yes, sorry for the confusion. DSP-Q does a few things -- DP does a lot.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:I don't care what I use as long as it does the job I want without muss or fuss.
Fuss and muss can be subjective. I think the DSP-Q manual is available and it is easy to see what it does there. Worth 15 minutes poking through that. One nice things about DSP-Q -- if you can't figure out something, email support and the developer will usually get back to you next business day (in Italy).
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:One nice things about DSP-Q -- if you can't figure out something, email support and the developer will usually get back to you next business day (in Italy).
I agree, I've always received excellent customer support from him.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. Thanks, but I can't see buying Toast if I buy DSP-Quattro. Frankly I don't need the extra stuff Toast does.
I like DSP-Q but, if I only owned one, it would be Toast. Since, except for very few functions, the programs have little in common, I'm good with owning both. When time = $, I go with my pocketbook.
... as far as a bootable dvd I can do that in Carbon Copy Cloner which I already have. That works a treat.
No ... Oh never mind... That's the biggest laugh I have had all day. Thanks. :lol:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

billf wrote:
bayswater wrote:One nice things about DSP-Q -- if you can't figure out something, email support and the developer will usually get back to you next business day (in Italy).
I agree, I've always received excellent customer support from him.
Sounds good. That's something I appreciate especially since there's a couple of developers I deal with that have support that's let's say, not very good.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just for the recall: IMOE, DP burning feature has been broken for years.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Thanks all for the replies. I wasn't sure about the quality of the built-in burn software and that's why I asked.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Never used it. (probably) Never will.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Well I plumped for DSP-Quattro - best $79 I ever spent; I got the crossgrade because of my old Soundforge 8. Always good to save some bucks. Liking the program so far. I do have one question and it's not really about program functionality. It's about when I click on the 'about DSP-Quattro' I get the usual window that comes up with a whole bunch of stuff but there are two things I don't see and I don't know if they should even be there. That's my name and the serial number. Yes I deleted the demo version before installing the full one and everything registered fine. Should I be seeing those two bits of info or not? Program runs just fine.