Rainy Night

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Rainy Night

Post by buzzsmith »

I know that almost every area of the country is susceptible to some kind of natural disasters whether minor or major.

Here's mine for May 25, 2015. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

cuttime

Re: Rainy Night

Post by cuttime »

Ouch! My sympathies! There's damage, and then there's WATER damage. How did it get in? I'm not sure which is worse: rising, or via the roof. Do you still have electric power, or did you take this with a flash?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Power is on. The rain is just relentlessly staying in the area. This happened about 7-8 years ago, but not quite as bad. The water seems to come in through the lower elevation of the foundation and the "weep holes".

The water depth (fortunately) is about a half inch. Still a big cleanup awaits.

I'm staying up until the rain subsides to keep an eye on what's going on.

Still pouring down here in SW Houston.

A lot of folks in Central Texas (Austin, San Marcos) have had it much worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wow, Buzzy. I hope the Yamaha is OK!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Do you have a shop vac? 1st line of defense before the pros get there.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Yamaha is upstairs. No problem. Shop Vac, no. We'll probably do the towel and blanket thing in the morning and a dehumidifier to get things started.

I'm guessing that ServPro is going to be "flooded" with calls as it appears to be widespread throughout Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

OMG, Buzzy. So sorry about all that. (And to think we've been bitching about the rain here in CO- not any more!). You'll be in our thoughts.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I just watched a documentary the other night about water shortages :|
I feel your pain I left the house one day and the toilet keep running filled up the septic tank to the point of over following the laundry sink and flooding the basement about 1" deep luckily I was only gone for the day.
If you want to look on the bright side at least its just rain water.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Getting ready to wet vac and dry out as best we can. I think I should be back up and running later today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Just a tip depending on how big the wet vac is they get dam heavy when their full of water.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Jeepers. Bad luck there, bro'.

Makes me grateful that I can at least set buckets and 'styrene tubs up to catch leaks during heavy rain. The bathroom, passage, music room and kitchen all cop it. Just last week I caught around 30L in the kitchen in one night.

It helps tremendously that I know all the spots in which to precisely place catchers after a decade and a half's practise. LOL

Hope things dry out quickly thanks to your dehumidifier, Buz; musty smells can hang around like, well, some sites after bad MonkeyLabs Industries™ cleanup jobs.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:I know that almost every area of the country is susceptible to some kind of natural disasters whether minor or major.

Oh, Buzzy; I'm so sorry that's happened to you! That same storm system came through here earlier, before it reached your area, and everything here is just soggy. Of course, that's on top of storm after storm after storm after storm that has come through here in the past week, not to mention the past 6 weeks. There have been massive floods around Texas, including flash floods that have carried off many people who haven't been heard from since. We're on a hill and don't have to worry too much about floods, though I'm guessing that when I go into the garage, I'll find everything on the floor to be soaked. With sufficiently powerful storms, the water goes under the door, even though there is a clear path for it to go around the side of the house.

What we stay up nights watching out for is tornadoes. 24 hours a day, my iPad sits opened to "Storm," the best weather app on the iPad. (Used to be Intellicast HD, but they changed it to Storm when they merged with Weather Underground.) We track these storms and when we see tornadoes getting within 25 miles, aimed at us, we pack our bags and get ready to leave. So far this season, I've packed my bag 3 times, but have not had to leave the house yet. Season's not over. More rain tonight.

That reminds me of River Plantation in the 1960s/70s, Buzzy. It used to flood there every spring. People would put their carpets on top of their houses to dry. That San Jacinto river is nothing to be trifled with!

All of Texas is a big funnel. Amarillo and the panhandle are at an elevation of about 3000 feet. Dallas ranges from 500 to 900 feet elevation. But Houston averages about 10 feet, especially on the bay side, with some parts dropping below sea-level. Without amazing pumps, Houston wouldn't be there. The Brazos, Trinity, Colorado, San Jacinto and Sabine rivers all pour down to the Gulf, and when they reach that flat coastal flood plain, they spread out. And there's just nothing anyone can do about it. Levees might help, but they create a drainage problem on the dry side, as we found out with Katrina in N.O.

I hope it's just a 30-year flood, and that climate change hasn't decided that Texas will be the new Florida. I'm sure sorry about your studio. I think everything should dry out fine, but it would probably be helpful to lift the wires out of the water. Man, that's awful!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I feel your pain. One night, we were watching the evening news and saw the reporters standing outside our house - my basement flooded pretty badly that year.

I'll refrain from singing the Texas Rivers Song aka Down by the Brazos.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This must be a bad situation where you are. It was on the local news here.

One advantage of living here in the rain forest: drainage has been pretty much worked out. A lot of rain, but no floods.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Buzzy, I'd sure like for you to check in with us and let us know how you're doing. In retrospect, I realize your picture was from Monday night, while the worst storm hit us on Tuesday night. My wife's family, who still live in Conroe, just a little north of you, are saying that the Tuesday storms nearly did them in. Dams are bursting (little private ponds, not big dams), yards are under water, and homes are flooded all over the area. It sounded from their tweets that this could be record-setting, or at least the biggest since the late 60s.

So, if you were under water on Monday night, how did you fare on Tuesday? I sure hope your damage has been minimal. Too late to say I hope all is well; it's not very likely. Waiting to hear from you!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|