Rainy Night

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rainy Night

Post by buzzsmith »

We seem to be fine.

Only possible loss was an older Yamaha P-50 module that was just used as a quick to get to piano. Rarely made it to a Final.

The white powder on the floor is an odor absorbent. We've got the wet vac and fans a runnin'.

Most likely we will be replacing the carpet. (It's over 15 years old, anyway.)

Wife would like to go with stained concrete. I tried to explain how that would be absolutely horrible acoustics-wise, but I think she's winning. :)

Very large throw rugs would immediately follow!

Thanks for asking!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

And, I don't think I mentioned this...our flooding was strictly from way too much rain in a very short period of time. About 10" in 4-5 hours. No flooding from any nearby bayous or rivers. Just "clean" rainwater.

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hi Buzzy,
I'm glad you are OK and it wasn't more serious,scary stuff!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks, KG.

One more thing that may be of possible value to others down the road...

I, of course, disconnected all cables and moved the studio Mac to higher ground.

I have three MOTU I/Os...the 24 I/O, the original 2408 and the 2408 mkII.

I just simply reconnected them to the MOTU PCI card and then became bewildered why some were passing audio correctly and others weren't. It appears that once you set up your system, they need to be reconnected in the same way that one did when first installed.

In my case, the 24I/O needed to be seen as Audiowire 1, the 2408mkII needed Audiowire 2 and the original 2408 needed to be on Audiowire 3.

This simple paragraph took me about an hour and half to finally figure out!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow, glad things are ok. Thanks for letting us know!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Hope you get dried out and smelling' fresh, Buzzy.
We need rain here in NM and aren't getting any. So it goes.
Looks like the sun may shine on you guys this next week.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

buzzsmith wrote:One more thing that may be of possible value to others down the road...

I, of course, disconnected all cables and moved the studio Mac to higher ground.

I have three MOTU I/Os...the 24 I/O, the original 2408 and the 2408 mkII.

I just simply reconnected them to the MOTU PCI card and then became bewildered why some were passing audio correctly and others weren't. It appears that once you set up your system, they need to be reconnected in the same way that one did when first installed.

In my case, the 24I/O needed to be seen as Audiowire 1, the 2408mkII needed Audiowire 2 and the original 2408 needed to be on Audiowire 3.

This simple paragraph took me about an hour and half to finally figure out!

Buzzy
Yup. I mentioned this in another thread recently. What I do is jot down what's connected where. Fortunately my AudioWire cables differ in colour and texture, so I write "silver to port 1 (from centre of panel) , black to port 2" etc.

I had to rename all I/O once as I couldn't for the life of me get the settings back, even after copying pref backup files and so on. I'll never make that mistake again.

Hope everything's drying out alright, Buzzy...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I see Texas is being flooded real bad. After years of no rain now you get it all at once.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Tommy!

Not heard back from you about the 'flu, bro'. Did the magic juice work or what?

Feel free to revive the huge thread if you'd like to expand...

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Drying out pretty nicely except we had about 4" last night. We were more ready this time with sandbags, wet vac and our little pump.

And it came down during more normal hours (around 5:00 PM) so we were wide awake and able to maintain some level of control.

Ready for some nice dry days, weeks and months with just normal rainfall.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Phew!

Someone's on your side, Buz.

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thankfully it didn't all land in Buzzy's house.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

monkey man wrote:Thankfully it didn't all land in Buzzy's house.
+1!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The wild thing is that a couple days after the rain, the rivers continued to rise. After all, that water has to go somewhere, and since Texas is a big funnel to the Gulf Coast, it's all finding its way to the rivers that go there: Sabine, Trinity, San Jacinto, Brazos, Nueces, Colorado, Guadalupe, Neches, and the Rio Grande, plus a lot of bayous and creeks. It can take a few days for a river to crest and start going down. Oh, almost forgot the Red River, but it goes to Louisiana first, and becomes the Atchafalaya River, which sometimes becomes the Mississippi River; those 3 rivers are kind of incestuous, not really caring whether we think they should be separate entities with different names.

It's kind of cool, in a nerdy way I guess, that I know a place you could stand with a water hose... maybe a firehose, since you'd have to have a truck — it's an open field with no faucets for a long, long way — and you could point that firehose North, East, or Southwest and hit three different rivers: the Red River, the Sabine River, and the Trinity River. It's north of the town of Leonard, Texas, which is far from the madding crowd, but it's just cool to realize that there have to be points like that all over the country, where water has to decide which way to go. Miniature continental divides. In this case, all three maintain their independent paths all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Geography is kind of a hobby of mine. I used to collect maps, encyclopedias, atlases, and other books. I still collect books and old maps, which are like time machines, but my geography lessons began taking giant leaps when I found Google Earth a decade or so ago, with Wikipedia to back it up. Wow! What an exciting time this would be to grow up with all these resources! Incredible! I've spent too many days and nights to remember, tracing rivers, inclines, trails, or just following my impulses in Google Earth, noting the elevations, rivers, canyons, gullies, and every feature imaginable. I can take an unidentified photo, and if there are enough landmarks, I can often find its exact location and orientation in minutes. Sometimes hours. Sometimes not at all, if the information is just too spare.

Uh-oh. I'm on a tangent again. Easy to happen. Hard to stop. So...

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|