Rainy Night

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rainy Night

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:The wild thing is that a couple days after the rain, the rivers continued to rise. After all, that water has to go somewhere, and since Texas is a big funnel to the Gulf Coast, it's all finding its way to the rivers that go there: Sabine, Trinity, San Jacinto, Brazos, Nueces, Colorado, Guadalupe, Neches, and the Rio Grande, plus a lot of bayous and creeks. It can take a few days for a river to crest and start going down. Oh, almost forgot the Red River, but it goes to Louisiana first, and becomes the Atchafalaya River, which sometimes becomes the Mississippi River; those 3 rivers are kind of incestuous, not really caring whether we think they should be separate entities with different names.

It's kind of cool, in a nerdy way I guess, that I know a place you could stand with a water hose... maybe a firehose, since you'd have to have a truck — it's an open field with no faucets for a long, long way — and you could point that firehose North, East, or Southwest and hit three different rivers: the Red River, the Sabine River, and the Trinity River. It's north of the town of Leonard, Texas, which is far from the madding crowd, but it's just cool to realize that there have to be points like that all over the country, where water has to decide which way to go. Miniature continental divides. In this case, all three maintain their independent paths all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Geography is kind of a hobby of mine. I used to collect maps, encyclopedias, atlases, and other books. I still collect books and old maps, which are like time machines, but my geography lessons began taking giant leaps when I found Google Earth a decade or so ago, with Wikipedia to back it up. Wow! What an exciting time this would be to grow up with all these resources! Incredible! I've spent too many days and nights to remember, tracing rivers, inclines, trails, or just following my impulses in Google Earth, noting the elevations, rivers, canyons, gullies, and every feature imaginable. I can take an unidentified photo, and if there are enough landmarks, I can often find its exact location and orientation in minutes. Sometimes hours. Sometimes not at all, if the information is just too spare.

Uh-oh. I'm on a tangent again. Easy to happen. Hard to stop. So...

Shooshie
Warning! Warning!

Shooshie, your neural-storage allocation is dangerously close to being surpassed. Please update your account now!

Between you and me, bro', the manufacturer's well aware of the fact that you could easily store the entire contents of the British Library, every letter and every context and meaning, in there, but public knowledge of this just ain't good for business. So pay up already, and we'll give you an extra million gigaquads if you can manage this by the end of the month.

Yeah, down here in Jungleville the peaks arrive sometimes many days after the fact; it's an obvious consequence of minuscule inclines and a whole lotta space.
buzzsmith wrote:Only possible loss was an older Yamaha P-50 module that was just used as a quick to get to piano. Rarely made it to a Final.
Wow. I've decided to keep my P-50m both for its "transparent", "glassy" acoustic piano (the stereo presets are all one sample set anyway), as well as for that "EDM" acou piano (preset 10 or 11).

Whilst back in the day folks used to offer up much praise for this now-ancient half-rack module, the vibe I've been getting for the past 10 years is that it's now useless. I've gone with my gut 'though, and have reserved inputs for it on my yet-to-be-acquired AVB system (input number limited by USB2 connection to Mac), even to the extent that one of my Motif XS racks will have to go to make room.

I realise you're only using the module as a stand-in that doesn't make it to the mix, Buzzy, by it makes me feel all warm and Buzzy... er... fuzzy inside that you've managed to hang onto it. You mentioned that it was a possible loss, but I'm betting that thing will survive once dried; I reckon it'd work after being dropped from a high-rise building provided it landed on grass. A mini tank, if you will. A little water's all in a day's work for that lil' beastie. LOL
buzzsmith wrote:Thanks for asking!

Buzzy
I'd expect no less from our community, Buz.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here