Korg brings the M1 to the iPad

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Korg brings the M1 to the iPad

Post by wdegillio »

Here's a heads up for anyone using an iPad as a additional sound module in DP (as I am). Korg has just released the iM1. It is a stand-alone app, but can also integrate with Gadget, appearing as a device within it. An additional 10-spot (in-app purchase) gets you extra presets. Now that there are software solutions allowing us to integrate the iPad into our DP set-ups without the need for additional hardware, I'm guessing more people may take advantage of this. If you already have the Korg Legacy Collection you may not need this, but then there's also the new Synthmaster Player app as well. This is shaping up to be a great Memorial Day weekend for iPad musicians!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
BRW

Re: Korg brings the M1 to the iPad

Post by BRW »

This is very cool and to be expected. Even though I already have all of their stuff in plugin form with the full Korg Legacy collections, it's nice to have "hands on" control these synths with a tablet. I previously bought iMS-20 and iPolySix.

You said you use your iPad as a sound source - don't you find it has latency?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On one hand, it is very welcome, because right now for $20 (plus 10 in AIPs) you get a loaded M1. There are some very useable tones in there, and some sounds that just have utilitarian value (for demos, etc.).

On the other hand, the PCM sounds are a mixed bag, quality-wise. M1 era ROMplers had to cram samples into tiny memory spaces-- so they mostly have short attacks that immediately go to one-cycle loops. It would have been so great if Korg had updated the ROM samples, and then provided two "PCM Versions" "Legacy PCM" and "Modern PCM".

The Modern version could fix what is terrible in the M1 and borrow from later series. Folks could decide about how much of a footprint they want their app to occupy.

I suppose a dream version would just let you access soundfonts as pcm data.

There's just no pleasing some people.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

I haven't noticed any latency- or maybe I just have a high tolerance for it. I have the iPad Air version 1, which may not have as fast a processor as the latest iPads, but it seems to do the job for me. Some apps have a control for adjusting latency to fit the processor you have- older iPads my have to use settings with some latency.

And stubbsonic, that is a great idea having both a Legacy and Updated version of the iM1! Many things have changed since the original M1 was designed- it would be nice to take advantage of the amount of memory handheld devices currently have, as opposed to the few megs of memory the original ROMplers had available.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Someone needs to make a keyboard dock for the iPad, that plugs into your MIDI keyboard and sits atop it. Then, whatever instrument you happen to be running on the iPad will be connected to the physical music keyboard and audio devices.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:Someone needs to make a keyboard dock for the iPad, that plugs into your MIDI keyboard and sits atop it. Then, whatever instrument you happen to be running on the iPad will be connected to the physical music keyboard and audio devices.
The recently discontinued Line 6 MobileKeys is halfway there. Its proprietary cable can plug directly into your iPad or iPhone and access any sounds within while taking bus power from the iOS device (it also can plug into USB). It does not have a stand, however.

The 49 key version weighs about 3 pounds. :woohoo: There's a 25 key version, too.

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This could come in handy:

http://www.cme-pro.com/xkey-air/

Latency could be a problem, and as with all crowdfunded projects, it could be here today, gone tomorrow.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

It's 2 IAPs (not 10) to get all the expansions. Introductory pricing ends June 30. ($19.99 for app; $4.99 each for the IAPs -- basically $30 for the whole shebang). Pretty brilliant!

Would like to see Roland do something similar, JV and XV. So far all they've done is SoundCanvas.

Babz
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Babz wrote:Would like to see Roland do something similar, JV and XV. So far all they've done is SoundCanvas.
I'm hoping for a K2XX.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You mean K2xxx?

I'd love to see even a partial version of a K2500 in an iPad app. I stop at K2500 and not a K2600 only because I think the "triple mod" processing seems like an unnecessary complication.

I even think they could simplify the VAST part quite a bit.

Mainly, what I'd like to see is a synth that lets you load and edit samples & keymaps, with both velocity and key ranges. Something that let's you set up tunings either from the keymap, or a scale editor. Something that allows you to map controllers to parameters with secondary controllers (to regulate range), and also dedicated range & curve settings.

Right now, Z3ta+ for iPad does a good job with the mod matrix-- but no samples/keymaps. There is a soundfont synth, bismark bs-16i, that lets you load soundfonts (wherein you can do some keymap stuff) but not much in the way of synthesis.

An iK2500-- but with snappier envelopes-- would make me throw away a bunch of other apps. If it kept the sequencer of the K2500, I'd throw away a bunch more.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, I meant K2XXX. I'd like it for the iPad and as a plugin. I've got l loads of K2K patches some of which I've converted with autosampler but it's not quite the same. E.g., the 12 osc sawtooth. I'd use it n place of mx4, Arturia or any of the logic synths. Not sure about simplifying the algorithms--I suspect t would be easier to leave the code as is-- but maybe the effects would generate less noise.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8