Gypsy/Folk Viola VI

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Gypsy/Folk Viola VI

Post by Prime Mover »

The metal band I play in created an awesome mockup for a new song, mainly in Garageband, and one of the parts was constructed out of loops of a gypsy-style viola (not violin). It's got some fast turns, and you can hear nice harmonics during playing. Honestly, I'm urging our band leader to just use loops for the album version (or find a violist to rerecord them), I'm never going to be able to play something that sounds that organic on a synth. However, for live performance, I'd like to get close, and I just can't find anything. I've been listening to and demoing (when I can) various viola samples, and all of the offerings out there just don't work. Most of them seem too slow (even with high-attack keyswitches), not agile enough to leap around this folk motif. It seems the higher-end, the slower and more legato the focus is. I need something gnarly and raw.

Anyone know of a good solo folk viola or 5-string violin library that has good fast response? Looked to Adagio Viola, absolutely won't work. The viola in EWQLSO is out too. Of all things, the low-end VSL viola included with Kontakt (with some keyswitches) is working the best, but I know I can do better.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
David Polich

Re: Gypsy/Folk Viola VI

Post by David Polich »

Get Neocymatics Hybrid Strings. It's actually a solo string instrument, covering the entire range that solo stringed instruments can play, but it is not specifically a cello,
viola, or violin. Just play it in the range that the viola occupies. Super-fast attack, plenty of edge,
vibrato is controllable via aftertouch (pressure). Mod wheel adds "pinched/squealing" harmonic shift, exactly like a real solo string instrument behaves. It combines sampling and physical modeling.

Like you, I needed a solo string instrument that didn't have "baked-in" sampled vibrato, had
a fast attack, and plenty of edge and "rosin" in the sound. I had tried the Friedlander Violin, Adagio
Violin, East-West Gypsy, and Ircam Solo Instruments. Wasted a ton of money on all of these. Neocymatics was what I should have bought in the first place.

Go here - and be sure to watch the video demos:

http://www.neocymatics.com/index.php/pr ... 0-03-29-48
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Re: Gypsy/Folk Viola VI

Post by mhschmieder »

Their clarinet library is awesome as well, and covers gypsy and folk genres (Turkish etc.), so keep that in mind as you can get a bundle discount if you buy them both. You can still get the discount for one from the other later on though.

I have high hopes for this vendor. I forget where they're located, but they have a vested interest in musically accurate libraries for ethnic musics, so they put a LOT of effort into the performance side of things.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH