Behringer bought TC Electronic today

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Behringer bought TC Electronic today

Post by mhschmieder »

This is a quick hit-and-run for this post only, as work is insane as is my gig schedule (20 gigs over 6 weeks).

I got a pro audio announcement today at work, saying that Behringer (or rather its new holding company MUSIC Group) has bought TC Group (including TC Electronic, of course).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Re: Behringer bought TC Electronic today

Post by Shooshie »

From recent purchases of Behringer products, I get the impression that they are trying to be a better company than their old reputation would have you believe. Everything I've bought from them for the past 4 years has been excellent. I mean, well-thought-out, well executed, quality materials and workmanship, and at least a lot of documentation about consumer service and warranties; I haven't had to test that.

So, I would be tempted to say that TC is in good hands.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I asked a co-worker today what he's heard about the stewardship of Klark-Teknik and MIDAS, and the general impression matches my own, which is that those brands may be no better or worse than before the buyout, but Behringer themselves seem to have had a positive ruboff from access to those minds and that technology.

So, I think Shooshie is right, that this will work out much better than the disastrous and short-lived Gibson ownership of TC Group a few years back. Behringer seem a smart firm overall, and it may just be that they turn out to be one of those brands that gets market penetration via cheap goods (many of questional "originality") but then use their financial stability to move to a higher level of design and market segments.

Certainly this goes along with precedents in the audo industry. So this may have been Behringer's game plan all along, and given that TC has been very inconsistent in recent years, it may have a positive rub-off on TC Group and Behringer alike.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:Behringer seem a smart firm overall, and it may just be that they turn out to be one of those brands that gets market penetration via cheap goods (many of questional "originality") but then use their financial stability to move to a higher level of design and market segments.

Certainly this goes along with precedents in the audo industry. So this may have been Behringer's game plan all along, and given that TC has been very inconsistent in recent years, it may have a positive rub-off on TC Group and Behringer alike.
That seems exactly like what they've been doing. Now they just have to worry about the "getting too big" thing. Over expansion has been the downfall of many a music-related company. You can't reproduce the culture indefinitely, at least that seems to be the case. Once the management is too large to report back to a central core, it risks all kinds of problems: over-spending, quality loss, service loss, poor management, bad attitudes... But for now, Behringer still seems to be on the upswing.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Agreed, Shoosh.

Even its "new" e-drum kits slaughter anything else anywhere near their price-points, both in terms of features and quality.

I'm actually considering one of these kits to drive my Roland drum brain, even 'though I've been hanging out for 15 years for the right deal to come along on a Rolly kit, which would obviously be better suited for the task, such is the bang-for-buck factor of these puppies.

Playin' drums from the keyboard has cost me many months of my life. I figure I wouldn't have to become overly proficient on the e-kit to at least be able to lay down basic parts for my songs, thereby (in theory) saving mucho time and helping the creative flow.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Even its "new" e-drum kits slaughter anything else anywhere near their price-points, both in terms of features and quality.

I'm actually considering one of these kits to drive my Roland drum brain
I saw these. They look too good to be true. I think I spend about twice what they are charging just for the stand for my drums (a mix of Roland and Sherpa pads and a DM5). I spend about half that just on cables.

Do you know if they use standard triggers that would work with other drum modules like the DM5, or are they specific to the Behringer sound module? Have you tried them out for bounce and feel?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8