Uptown Funk - Revisited and Reharmonized

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Uptown Funk - Revisited and Reharmonized

Post by buzzsmith »

I had never heard of these guys (and gals) before, but they certainly know their altered chord changes and progressions!

Just a little Sunday fun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QRuM2rk2m ... e=youtu.be

And if this was really shot in what appears to be a "home studio" then I think we've finally arrived to the brick and mortar level.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Re: Uptown Funk - Revisited and Reharmonized

Post by stubbsonic »

buzzsmith wrote:I had never heard of these guys (and gals) before, but they certainly know their altered chord changes and progressions!
And if this was really shot in what appears to be a "home studio" then I think we've finally arrived to the brick and mortar level.

Nice arrangement and solid recording. They did get some pretty swanky tones there.

Thanks for sharing, Buzzy.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Lunch-box Kemper for the guitar. Interesting P/U config on the bass.

I use bookshelves too, but it looks like I need more... books and shelves... and gear! LOL

Damn, that's funky.

EDIT: Thank you, Buzzy!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Yeah!!... nice!!

Great horns, and nice use of synth-brass with them. What a sound.

Excellent. (Lots of Jerry Hey influence there!)
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

The Smoking Section is composed of a bunch of Nashville's first call studio killers. The keyboard player is the leader, and I'd guess the red-hot arranger, too. This is wicked good.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Oh Yeahhh.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I was hoping that some others would enjoy as much as I did!

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

We did!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It was cool. Fine playing.

I have to wonder, though; who is listening to that kind of thing these days? I'm not saying that pejoratively; I just don't know who likes that now. When I was in high school, we kids in the band were blown away by that stuff. I loved Chicago; Blood Sweat and Tears; Earth Wind and Fire; and any group that had precision brass. When Donald Fagen's The Nightfly was released on CD, I thought perfection had been achieved. Since then, it seems that brass/sax stuff has gone by the wayside.

I assume enough of us are still alive to support that kind of thing, but are young people buying into it? Who is tomorrow's audience? I could say the same for symphonic, concert performance, and opera, I guess, but so far they seem to be surviving off the conspicuous consumption model, whereby if you make more than a certain amount, you're out of step if you don't have season tickets. But jazz doesn't have that same body of support.

I see college jazz programs where wind players seem to dig that kind of thing in a competitive way, but again I don't see a real audience developing. Maybe I'm just not seeing what's there. Bear in mind that I am a North Texas graduate with a lifetime membership in the 1 o'clock Lab Band. (free tickets any time I go, not that i'd use it. I pay full price to support any arts group.) I'm not exactly new to the genre.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I know, Shoosh!

Most likely done for their peers and as a musical outlet, so to speak.

Reminds me of a group of top players here in Houston that use the name TK-OH! They just get together about once or twice a month and play killer charts just for the fun of it. They *might* make $50/each.

They do attract a relatively small but very involved audience.

I think in Vegas, The Santa Fe Horns might also be doing something similar but I think that they have a steady Monday night gig.

On the classical side, I see attempts by management to attract younger audiences through concerts that feature film music. I thing that the HSO has had success with this approach.

And (as a parent) I'm pleased to say that my youngest son and daughter in law have some package performance tix for the Cincinnati Philharmonic. My daughter in law had to stay home this past weekend as she was caring for their younger son who was not feeling well, so my son took my 5 year old granddaughter who maintained interest through a Beethoven Piano Concerto. Even emulating the conductor and the pianist.

So, maybe there is hope!

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:Reminds me of a group of top players here in Houston that use the name TK-OH! They just get together about once or twice a month and play killer charts just for the fun of it. They *might* make $50/each.

They do attract a relatively small but very involved audience.

Buzzy, do you remember that group called the Southwest Freeway in Houston back in the early 70s? I think they mostly did Chicago/BS&T covers, but they were awfully good back then. Of course, that was when I still thought the pinnacle of a music career was to play in a cover band at Astroworld.

:lol:
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Yes, I do remember. One of the members (singer-Bobby Hocking) is now Mayor of LaPorte!

They used to perform regularly at the Village Inn Pizza Parlor which (small world) is now the site of the Steakhouse that I've played for almost 18 1/2 years.

(About the 5800 block of Westheimer.)

I looked for a photo. No luck, so far.

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Indeed, it's a small world!

Of course, in Texas, music is a tiny little world in a great, big place. Hell, we all know each other.

Shoosh
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Just a quick comment:

I'd liked the bass player to have played with a tad more attitude; it's like he was just playin' the charts. I've always been sensitive to this sort of thing - I can pick most funk / fusion chart-playin' a mile off.

I'd have liked a little more suttacto and shorter notes, especially where he, well, sustained all those long ones during the first half of the song. Probably what the chart dictated, mind you.

Just sayin'. May not be the ticket for some, but when I think funk bass, I think short notes, attitude and space. Lots of space, dammit! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here