Mixer direct outs

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Ash Telecaster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Mixer direct outs

Post by Ash Telecaster »

Hi,

I am not a MOTU owner...yet. I am considering buying 2 Motu 8pre usb's as an upgrade to my Tascam us-1800 but am concerned the 8pre won't actually do what I'm trying to achieve. One of the things I want to improve with my us-1800 is running half my mixers 16 direct outs into mic pre's. I see the xlr connects on the 8pre are dual compatible with 1/4" interconnects. If I understand correctly these are instrument inputs. Does that mean these inputs incomatible with my mixers channel direct outs?

Thank you
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mixer direct outs

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not directly familiar with the 8Pre, but the MOTU interfaces that I know about have similar inputs with the dual XLR/1/4" jacks. The 896mk3 auto-senses a TRS plug to illuminate lights on the front panel, apparently to remind you to apply the 20dB pad. Older ones had a switch on the back to toggle between mic and line inputs.

If it's any help, here's a line or two from the MOTU site about the 8Pre:
  • • Eight XLR/TRS "combo jack" mic inputs — connect up to eight mics, or mix and match mics with guitars, synths, drum machines and other analog input signals.

• Flexible analog inputs — each provides a crystal-clear preamp (for both the XLR and TRS input), 24-bit 96 kHz converters, individually switchable 48-volt phantom power, 20 dB pad and front-panel trim controls. Mix and match condenser and dynamic microphones as your needs require.
Assuming there are similarities with the896mk3, the trim control on each channel of the 896 create 53dB of gain.

I hope that tells you what you need to know. To be absolutely certain, beyond doubt, you probably ought to call or email MOTU and ask them directly.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Ash Telecaster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Mixer direct outs

Post by Ash Telecaster »

Thanks Shooshie,

It's probably a safe bet that with the pad it would be fine but I definitely need to find a definitive answer before buying. I appreciate the help!