Anyone use Musicnotes.com?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone use Musicnotes.com?

Post by cuttime »

I've been looking for some hard to find, or out of print items and the googler keeps pointing me here:

http://www.musicnotes.com

Never done business with them, nor has anyone I know.

Any ideas if they're worth my time?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Anyone use Musicnotes.com?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Once or twice in the last few years. Not too bad but easier for me to set the music myself if I know the piece. What are you looking for?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

It's always movie soundtrack numbers that are the hardest to track down, and that's what I need. I found what I needed there. I'll get 'em there then. Thanks!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

BTW, Marc Shaiman's original Addam's Family score is amazing, and I saw the original ST in a bargain bin years ago and I'm still slapping myself silly for not getting it. The iTunes score is NOT from the movie, but is a re-creation, supposedly official, but not even close.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/addam ... id98446231

"Love on a Tombstone" is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsut4Hj ... freload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVF4Eb ... freload=10
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Some of their older stuff still requires the Scorch plugin from Sibelius. Most of their scores do not require Scorch but it's a pain to see if the latest version will work when it's required.

Now that I recall, that was the reason that I revived a G4 with OS 10.4 -- it was the only way I could download some vocal scores I needed for a client. At the time, Scorch wasn't working past 10.5. Rather than deal with that moving target in later OS, it's easier to log on with my G4 and convert to .pdf.

Anyway, Musicnotes.com has things I can't find elsewhere.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the heads up about Scorch. I think I still have it on the old Lappy.
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I use them periodically when I'm looking for sheet music. In fact, I just bought The Swan (Le Cygne) by Camille Saint-Saëns from them last night. Be aware that they often have different performer-level "arrangements" of pieces, so you need to look carefully. For convenience, it's a pretty cool site.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bkshepard wrote:. Be aware that they often have different performer-level "arrangements" of pieces, so you need to look carefully.
Thanks, yeah- I've suffered through crappy piano transcriptions all of my life, but sometimes I just need something to get me started with particularly difficult material. It makes me wonder what happens to original orchestral scores. Are they lying in storage somewhere, or do they end up lining a bird cage or a litter box?

Speaking of piano transcriptions-ever see any of Busoni's transcriptions of Bach organ works? Good grief! I think they would be easier to play on a pedal organ.
MIDI Life Crisis

bkshepard wrote:I use them periodically when I'm looking for sheet music. In fact, I just bought The Swan (Le Cygne) by Camille Saint-Saëns from them last night. Be aware that they often have different performer-level "arrangements" of pieces, so you need to look carefully. For convenience, it's a pretty cool site.
<ahem...>

You paid for a version of a classical piece in the public domain? Sham on you Dean!

All kidding aside, you could have gotten several great arrangements, including the full orchestral version or the composer's transcription (sea [sic] below) for free.

Lookie here ---> http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnk ... piano_.pdf

And a'lookie here two [sic] ---> http://imslp.org

(Sea sic! LOL)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You paid for a version of a classical piece in the public domain? Sham on you Dean!
:oops:

I have a few clients who sing in the rest home circuit. They pay me to find the song and get it in the right key. Musicnotes and Sheetmusic1.com both use the Hal Leonard back end for that material. It's rare that I can't find what I need.

I charge a flat $15 per if I can find a song and select the right key when I download. My cost averages $4-$6.50 ea but there's a small break if I can do a batch in a single session. I always tell them that I'm not doing anything that they can't – but they pay me anyway. It's not much money and I wouldn't miss the income if they figured out how to do it themselves.

Heck, if I was only asked to get sheet music that required Scorch, I'd be good with that. I forget which site displays the popularity ranking but, when Scorch is required, it's around 112,000th level or something similar. I can understand why Hal Leonard Co. hasn't gotten around to modernizing those downloads.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

$15! Dang!! I charge ten times that just to answer my phone! LOL :arrrr:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS