Avid has announced future pricing models for Sibelius...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Avid has announced future pricing models for Sibelius...

Post by nk_e »

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/next-sibelius-release/

They are shooting themselves in the foot with this subscription model. Guess I stop at Sibelius 7.5 and PT 11.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Avid has announced future pricing models for Sibelius...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yeah. Not a great plan.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BobK

Post by BobK »

Their use of the term 'perpetual license' is a sick joke.

It requires an $89 annual fee. If you don't pay it every year, the 'perpetual' license expires, and to get any further updates, you have to purchase a new perpetual license or switch to one of the 'subscription' plans.

I hope Steinberg releases their notation app soon and that it doesn't require a subscription. If it's good, and if converting Sibelius files works reasonably well, I'll switch, and will be happy to no longer do business with Avid. F-'em. (Remember, this is the company that fired the veteran Sibelius development team around the same time their stock was tanking and the big-wigs were earning obscene amounts of money.)
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think this would be a great model IF the pricing for an annual subscription was 10% of the price of the software. In 10 years, you will have paid what you would have.

So like $25 per year to have the latest greatest Sibelius. It would be great for students who need it for a class, or for pro's who have a specific project working with other Sib users, etc.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, Finale used to update every year at about $125, which works out the same or a little more. The problem I have is that you are forced to update with the subscription model. Yes, it keeps you up to date, but it also forces you to both update and continue paying.

It is NOT about convenience of the customer, but rather insurance for the company that as long as people want to use the software they will have to cough up the coins. Adobe has been doing this for a while now. I think it sucks the big one and won't pay a subscription unless there is no alternative and even then, I'll keep the running, paid for software for as long as I can run it - bugs and all. That said, I detest Sibelius and pretty much all Avid products, from Pro Tools to M-Audio crapola products. They are greed anthropomorphized to the nth degree, which is kind of OK if you are producing exceptional products. They are not.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BobK

Post by BobK »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It is NOT about convenience of the customer, but rather insurance for the company that as long as people want to use the software they will have to cough up the coins. Adobe has been doing this for a while now. I think it sucks the big one and won't pay a subscription unless there is no alternative and even then, I'll keep the running, paid for software for as long as I can run it - bugs and all. That said, I detest Sibelius and pretty much all Avid products, from Pro Tools to M-Audio crapola products. They are greed anthropomorphized to the nth degree, which is kind of OK if you are producing exceptional products. They are not.
AFAIK, the difference is that Adobe and Microsoft don't have any charges analogous to Avid's 'perpetual license'. They just offer a menu of subscription rates.

While Avid tries to portray it as something separate from a subscription, the 'perpetual license' is really just an up-front fee to lower the annual subscription rate.

Just FYI, MLC, Avid sold M-Audio a while back.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yes, it keeps you up to date, but it also forces you to both update and continue paying.
Exactly. It's why I will do anything to avoid the subscription model. It seems to eliminate the option of simply staying behind on an older OS and using a particular app version until your actual NEEDS compel an application update. You pay your bill or they shut your lights off. These are apps with a self destruct feature. This is why I will use FCPX and not Premiere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!