FYI: Article describing how AVB fits into Internet of Things

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FYI: Article describing how AVB fits into Internet of Th

Post by mhschmieder »

I meant to add that there is an obvious benefit in almost any studio of any size, of being able to do away with snakes and just use a single long Ethernet cable or two.

For example, say you need your main mic pre's close enough to avoid long XLR cable length, but now are a bit far from the computer as a result. Ethernet to the rescue! That is, from the audio interface to the computer, which might be one room away.

Like I said though, for those of us already bought into other systems, it's a matter of living with the shortcomings until the next time there is a need for an actual upgrade in audio quality or for better converters.

At any rate, I'm just describing a scenario where indeed the AVB and Ethernet approach can help even in smaller scale studios and under 32 channels.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FYI: Article describing how AVB fits into Internet of Th

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:I meant to add that there is an obvious benefit in almost any studio of any size, of being able to do away with snakes and just use a single long Ethernet cable or two.
St. Patrick's Ethernet!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|