Major Windows 10 announcement this morning

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Major Windows 10 announcement this morning

Post by mhschmieder »

Some major Windows 10 announcements were made this morning. It took me awhile to find a useful link (I had to change my search terms), but here it is:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... es-1029245

This came up at a software status meeting this morning, so I did a search during lunch, but was unable to corroborate the statement made by a co-worker that they are going subscription-only. Yet within the article linked above, there is something interesting said about "free for a year".
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Re: Major Windows 10 announcement this morning

Post by mikehalloran »

they are going subscription-only
That was in the original XT announcement but the push-back was so great that they didn't go there 13 years ago.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

IMO they might be trying to strong arm people into it with 'free' upgrades to 10 for a year, then the subscription plan after you've upgraded... I'm thinking the whole over time, and pain of trying to downgrade to 7-8 again scenario to get people to move to the subscription model. I get why they want to do it, it makes it a little easier to monitor pirated versions in general if the OS is calling home to find out if the subscription is up to date.
Windows 8 might just become a universal standard though. I'm an OSX man through and through, but the rest of the world isn't as capable of paying 1-4K for a computer as we in the western world are.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Geez, the article said MS is partnering with a company to produce $150 laptops. I hope the subscription to Windows 10 is going to be cheaper than the machine it runs on.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
billf

Post by billf »

Michael Canavan wrote:IMO they might be trying to strong arm people into it with 'free' upgrades to 10 for a year, then the subscription plan after you've upgraded... I'm thinking the whole over time, and pain of trying to downgrade to 7-8 again scenario to get people to move to the subscription model. I get why they want to do it, it makes it a little easier to monitor pirated versions in general if the OS is calling home to find out if the subscription is up to date.
Windows 8 might just become a universal standard though. I'm an OSX man through and through, but the rest of the world isn't as capable of paying 1-4K for a computer as we in the western world are.
This little interesting article talks about advertisements on the desktop being built into Windows 10

http://www.infoworld.com/article/289916 ... -know.html
Is Windows 10 now ad-supported?

Not all is sweetness and light: WinRT API guru WalkingCat/@h0x0d tweeted late last night:
ContentDeliveryManager used to be called "Suggestions for you," recently it becomes "Windows Spotlight," and it's used to show ads, apparently / it can show ads on your lock screen, Start menu, or when you do something like press Alt-Tab -- don't tell me this is how Windows 10 be free!?
He went on to tweet, early this morning:
the lock screen UI is implemented by the XAML app Microsoft.WindowsDefaultLockScreen and it supports using Bing wallpapers as lock screen image, complete with hotspots, with help from ContentDeliveryManager
It sounds like Microsoft has cooked up a new, sophisticated advertising delivery system that can pump out ads even when you aren't using your computer. I'd be willing to bet that's the financial rationale for giving away Windows 10.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

A veteran of the UseNET era, I watched spam kill UseNET outright. Just obliterated it. Others bought the rights to it and tried to make it work, but it wasn't UseNET anymore, and didn't work like UseNET did. Forums came along and replaced it in the sense that they gave people a "themed gathering place," but then those started getting spammed, too, so they had to lock them down with passwords and membership. Some (like this one) remain viable and worthy of such membership. Others got so fixated on advertising and sponsored links that you can't tell the forum from the ads anymore.

I feel like one of the big themes of my network experience, since the 1980s has been getting away from limitations while retreating from unsolicited commercial messages. If they were about to put those in my actual computer, I'd be freaking out right now. If I were a Windows user, I'd definitely have to consider OS X. But if APPLE did that... Maybe I'd try Linux. Maybe I'd just make music, forget about the net, and go back to the ranch to raise horses.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Maybe I'd just make music, forget about the net, and go back to the ranch to raise horses.
Well now you're just talking crazy! :rotfl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Well now you're just talking crazy! :rotfl:
Yeah, whatever was I thinking??? :shake:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:
James Steele wrote:Well now you're just talking crazy! :rotfl:
Yeah, whatever was I thinking??? :shake:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Image
Of course! Of course!
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

mhschmieder wrote:Some major Windows 10 announcements were made this morning. It took me awhile to find a useful link (I had to change my search terms), but here it is:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... es-1029245

This came up at a software status meeting this morning, so I did a search during lunch, but was unable to corroborate the statement made by a co-worker that they are going subscription-only. Yet within the article linked above, there is something interesting said about "free for a year".
And then there's Adobe. They're doing good with their subscription only model despite the kicking and crying at first. Personally, I'm sticking to the last non-subscription version (CS6) they published for as long as I can.
As for MS, once you go Mac, you don't go back.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram