Plug-in Alliance, seriously? You haven't heard of DP?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plug-in Alliance, seriously? You haven't heard of DP?

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm not sure that's entirely true. Virtually every pro studio in Los Angeles is Pro Tools. None that I've been to use DP, only the smaller "boutique" once and composer studios. Those boutique ones are the only ones I'll spend my money on. My clients, OTOH, always end up hiring a Pro Tools house and I always end up amazing the non-DP users. And the funny thing is, the really high end engineers all use DP at home. Every one I've talked to, including the main guys at Pixar. When PT can't handle it, they take the file home, do their thing in DP and return the file to the main studio. That's not conjecture, that is straight from the horses mouth. :deadhorse:
If you're responding to me, you're not exactly disagreeing with me. Essentially in my experience DP isn't used by people because it's the "standard" IE Pro Tools, but because people actually use it for it's features, not it's prestige. Believe me in the underground electronic/rock scene I'm part of no one uses DP, even though some of the more complex musically and revered people do, Autechre come to mind as naming DP as their desert island software.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I guess I am agreeing. Duh! I also think people actually like PT because the word "pro" is in there and that makes them feel, well... like a pro. They should pay more attention to the second word... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

These people are selling plugins. To be successful they have to appeal to PT, Logic, probably LIve, and maybe Cubase users. They need to know versions to know which need to be supported. Selling to DP users would be nice for them, but whether they do or don't won't make or break them. They'll do what PT and Logic users want, and if that also works for DP users, that will be great for us and nice for them. If it doesn't, they will not lose any sleep.

Even so, it's good to complain to them that their support for DP is not what it should be. Waves is another company that needs a poke in the eye from time to time.

(I don't know what Fruit Loops is doing there. I've met a lot of people that use it, but none that paid for it. Wherever they get FL, I expect they can get Plugin Alliance products for the same price.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:For the record I found DP more stable in OSX than Logic, and that was a huge reason for my move back to DP.

Do you remember when BT offered to buy anyone's rig, on the spot, if they could show it would run Logic without crashing? Plus, he'd take them out to dinner. I don't know if he ever found what he was looking for. I thought about offering him a copy of DP. (I have two paid-up copies, and upgrade them alternately) But I decided I didn't really care what BT did. :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Shooshie wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:For the record I found DP more stable in OSX than Logic, and that was a huge reason for my move back to DP.

Do you remember when BT offered to buy anyone's rig, on the spot, if they could show it would run Logic without crashing? Plus, he'd take them out to dinner. I don't know if he ever found what he was looking for. I thought about offering him a copy of DP. (I have two paid-up copies, and upgrade them alternately) But I decided I didn't really care what BT did. :lol:

Shoosh
:lol: BT, the most overrated electronic musician out there for sure.

To be fair, Logic was super stable for me version 4 to 6. It wasn't until 7 that they did things internally that messed up my setup. 7 had a few brutal hard to trace bugs that only took out some people's systems, and it broke me of the fallacy that any software is 'perfect' bug wise. I also took a while getting back into DP since I had a batch of things written in Logic, so I learned on DP5 skipped the notorious 6 and got into writing in DP again with the stable DP7. I live in the bubble where DP is never unstable because I skipped by accident and on purpose all the worst versions. (4 and 6) I'm fine with my bubble though! :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Speaking of Plug-In alliance, they have a special deal today on EQ Rangers Vol 1 for $19. I posted the info on how to get it here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59583
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I am so glad I tried all their plug-ins recently! I've now bought most of them, and they are -- along with Slate Digital -- now my go-to's for many tasks. It took a bit of work to "learn" them well, but I am finding them very well-programmed with excellent audio quality and some unique niches as well.

Yet I was disappointed when I filled out their survey. Sonar is on life support at this point and made the list. The only saving grace is that R****r was also missing from the survey. :unicorn:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

BTW, I bought EQ Rangers during an earlier fire sale, and have no regrets. I didn't initially think I needed it when I tried all the demos, but it was a lot of demos to rush a trial on short order and I still don't like the interface. It turns out to be unique though, as it is graphic vs. parametric but also specialized vs. generalized (I usually hate graphic equalizers). It can be quite a time-saver during initial trial runs of early stages of a mix.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

BTW it was a $25 voucher in the US (maybe even $15; I forget). I guess the $45 is adjusted for the Australian dollar.

Meanwhile the Euro has rarely been lower, so it's a good time to buy things from European vendors and/or buy direct in Euro-quoted prices.

I just did that with the new German Bb Clarinet from VSL, as the exchange rate put it on par with buying from Ilio and paying tax. I'd rather the money go to the vendor with no middleman.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I guess I am agreeing. Duh! I also think people actually like PT because the word "pro" is in there and that makes them feel, well... like a pro. They should pay more attention to the second word... LOL
Somehow I missed this. Nearly spit out my Coca-Cola when I read it! Had it been one micron funnier, I'd be cleaning my keyboard now.

"So how does it feel to be a professional tool?" :rofl:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote:... "800 lb. gorillas" (no offense to Nicky)...
Hey, I'm just a diminutive, slim simian, Jimbo. It's Magilla you should be worried about. I worry about him all the time. I mean, we all know gorillas sleep anywhere they care to, so what if he flops that hefty mass onto lil' ol' me before engaging that truck-idle snore? Geez. I live in fear...

Back on topic: "Long live DP" is all I have to contribute. I put all my eggs in the MOTU basket when switching from ATARI to Mac, and by God that's where they're gonna stay... even if they hatch.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

If you were filling out a survey, and they asked you what brand of car you owned, the list would probably not include Tesla. But if you own a Tesla, then you know.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Perhaps, but there aren't THAT many DAWs around. And listing three version of PT and several versions of others seems kind of dumb. It would appear on the face that they did that to get as complete a list as possible, but then it begs the questions why they left out DP.

No, it's not a big deal. It's just that I prefer to deal with companies that not only go thru the motions of trying to be inclusive of their users, but who actually ARE inclusive. In that sense, they failed pretty miserably. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
James Steele wrote:I signed up over there in the hopes that they send me an email like yours and I can fill it out the same way.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm= ... p1qw%3d%3d
I started to take their survey, but it reminds me of "Select from these 5 options" on my cable company's voicemail when none of the options apply to me. By the 3rd question I said heck with it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Exactly. Also reminds me of the "come on" surveys where you can win a great prize and get thru the whole damn thing only to get to the last question and see "sorry, you don't qualify."

If a person is nice enough to offer their time in responding, you'd expect the survey to be responsive and INCLUSIVE!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS