Plug-in Alliance, seriously? You haven't heard of DP?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-in Alliance, seriously? You haven't heard of DP?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you're a Plug-in Alliance customer you probably got the same email. Twenty-five bucks credit on your next purchase for finishing a survey. I got as far as the 8th question when I stopped dead in my proverbial tracks:

Three forms of Logic. Three form of Pro Tools. Two forms of Ableton. Not ONE form of Digital Performer.

So if they don't see it as even important enough to mention, they probably don't test their crap on it. Well, they lost me as a customer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Re: Plug-in Alliance, seriously? You haven't heard of DP?

Post by Shooshie »

I don't even open their stuff. I just delete it.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sadly, all too typical. Sometimes it's like we're the Rodney Dangerfield of DAWs. :) I signed up over there in the hopes that they send me an email like yours and I can fill it out the same way. Tired of being relegated to the "Other" category... especially when it's one of the finest DAWs on the market, IMHO.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:I signed up over there in the hopes that they send me an email like yours and I can fill it out the same way.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm= ... p1qw%3d%3d
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I noticed the same thing - went through the whole process of the survey (with the temptation of the $45 voucher) and then realized I don't want anything they sell.

Anyone want to buy my $45 voucher @ half price?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

We're just fanboys... :rofl: Nothing to see or hear, here.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
groove

Post by groove »

Bx Digital v2 and Bx dynEQ v2 are amazing tools for mid-side corrections and I use them a lot.
They've been working flawlessly in DP in AU format for years.

The fact that DP is not in the survey list doesn't surprise me nor bother me at all. I'm beta testing a new synth VI from a well known dev and, out of the fifty or so testers, they told me I was the only one using DP. That is the reality, sad but true.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
MIDI Life Crisis

The general population has never heard of DP, for sure. Every high e d engineer and composer I know has and uses it, them exports to PT for their sucker clients.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The general population has never heard of DP, for sure. Every high e d engineer and composer I know has and uses it, them exports to PT for their sucker clients.
Man, it's not supposed to be that way. Back in the 1990s, you'd hear about DP on the Johnny Carson show when he'd be talking to musicians. Someone would mention the version of their song currently on their laptop in Digital Performer. I heard that two or three times, and I rarely even watched TV! So, it was almost a household word back then, except that the average person couldn't figure out what they meant by having recorded their song on their laptop. That was still new technology, and people just didn't realize it could be done.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Final Draft has had a long standing offer. Any screenwriter who mentions that they use it during their Oscar acceptance speech gets a free copy or updates for life.

Perhaps MOTU could make the same offer to anyone who mentions DP in his/her Oscar, Emmy or Grammy acceptance speech. Lord knows the benefits would far outweigh any minor costs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

I'd like to thank the little apps.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I guess many of you already knew this, but I somehow didn't. So Steinberg is owned by Yamaha and Logic is owned by Apple. Cubase and Logic have "800 lb. gorillas" (no offense to Nicky) backing them. MOTU is a small, privately-held company. It's a real David vs. Goliath type situation.

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/ ... sses/19230

I wonder if Cubase and Logic can be eternal loss-leaders simply for their parent companies to maintain "credibility" in the pro audio companies? "We have to have a DAW."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

James Steele wrote:Well, I guess many of you already knew this, but I somehow didn't. So Steinberg is owned by Yamaha and Logic is owned by Apple. Cubase and Logic have "800 lb. gorillas" (no offense to Nicky) backing them. MOTU is a small, privately-held company. It's a real David vs. Goliath type situation.

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/ ... sses/19230

I wonder if Cubase and Logic can be eternal loss-leaders simply for their parent companies to maintain "credibility" in the pro audio companies? "We have to have a DAW."
And don't forget, Sonar has Gibson. Avid.. is huge. FLStudio is easily the most downloaded audio software out there (legal and not).

The options on the list are pretty reasonable considering the sheer size of their backing.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Beyond just corporate muscle, (there are of course DAWs with less corporate backing than MOTU) IMO the other DAWs end up with a lot more sales towards people who aren't dedicated to music, but just want to be an instant artist; although that drives revenue, I'm willing to bet that MOTU have a lot higher percentage sales of upgrades than the other DAWs. People buy DP because they use it and like it, not because they're instantly a recording engineer by owning it (Pro Tools), Instantly an EDM artist (Live) or instantly branded with iQuality (Logic). <<-- For the record I found DP more stable in OSX than Logic, and that was a huge reason for my move back to DP.

Consequentially the quality of the stuff I hear from DP users is usually higher. Your results may vary of course, but DP ranks up there in terms of actual output VS sales. Slow steady sales VS "next big thing" sales.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Virtually every pro studio in Los Angeles is Pro Tools. None that I've been to use DP, only the smaller "boutique" once and composer studios. Those boutique ones are the only ones I'll spend my money on. My clients, OTOH, always end up hiring a Pro Tools house and I always end up amazing the non-DP users. And the funny thing is, the really high end engineers all use DP at home. Every one I've talked to, including the main guys at Pixar. When PT can't handle it, they take the file home, do their thing in DP and return the file to the main studio. That's not conjecture, that is straight from the horses mouth. :deadhorse:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS