New suggestion for DP - TAGS!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New suggestion for DP - TAGS!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would love it if I could tag my soundbites in DP. IOW, in a lost of audio, have either the Mac OS tag show up or have DP allow a DP proprietary tag. That way I could see by color (and sort by tag) the SBs that are most important or most desired, or whatever I want to tag them with. Multiple colors and tagging options would be nice. Maybe the same for Chunks. Frankly, I'd be a little happier if we could just sort the damn chunks in the chunk window (via a menu click at the top - not just rearrange them as we can currently).

Dave? :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Re: New suggestion for DP - TAGS!

Post by stubbsonic »

I really like that tag idea for the Soundbites window; including it as one of several sortable columns. Though I never have that many chunks in my projects, I could see how someone would find that very useful!

I do think that having it match the OS's version would make sense just in terms of it feeling integrated.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I like the idea too. Well done, Magilla.

Could be handy in the SE, I reckon.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I could really dig this. Nice idea.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Agreed. And the Chunks Window has been needing a makeover for a long time. I've ALWAYS wanted to be able to sort chunks, as the current method of dragging is tedious, time consuming, and often inaccurate. I mean, I guess it's ME who is inaccurate, but dragging those little icons, and figuring out where to drop the— especially at the very top or bottom — is simply an exercise in extreme patience.

I'd like the tag idea, too, but if nothing else, I'd like a column that enables me to see what song/chunk a soundbite belongs to.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote:I've ALWAYS wanted to be able to sort chunks, as the current method of dragging is tedious, time consuming, and often inaccurate.
I'd also love to see Chunk Folders. This was also one of MLC's ideas, IIRC.

I'd definitely like to see Tags as well.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

An idea whose time has come.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Funny timing, as I ran into someone a couple of weeks ago who is trying to come up with a way of doing this sort of thing in a way that is transparent to products and OS's. That is, some sort of file tagging architecture that allows for quick sorting and for correlation based on different criteria.

That particular person has a special interest in archival integrity of sound bytes that can be referenced in video games based on an arbitrary execution path; something I didn't realize hasn't been solved yet. I asked him if he has tried Digital Performer with its Chunks facility, and while this came the closest to his problem domain of any DAW, he needs tagging, sorting, and metadata that can be made some sort of standard that vendors adopt and support.

Just throwing that out there as additional context for these interesting ideas for enhancements to Chunks in DP.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So who has an "in" with MOTU that is strong enough to get traction on this?

Dave? :) :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS