What the hell is going on with YouTube????

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What the hell is going on with YouTube????

Post by FMiguelez »

[rant]
As of late, YouTube is quickly becoming an annoyance with all those damned embedded ads.

A few months ago I could simply skip the adds by pressing on the "Skip Ad" button, but most ads now do not posses such button anymore... Now, one must watch the full commercial before proceeding to the video one wishes to watch. Most are loooooong... and loud... and irrelevant.

So this thing is quickly becoming just like a TV set, where the most you can do is change channels. I'm really not liking this VORACITY where vendors seem to want to stuff useless things down our throats every single chance they get.

Has anyone discovered a way to bypass them or an app or add-on that skips them? Sometimes you can skip an add by pressing the little "next" arrow down to the left twice, and then going back in the pages twice again. This works some times only...

Does anyone else feel like I do, or should I just accept this fact and grow up?

Is there a better video site without all this ad-craze to watch such things as lectures, debates, and interesting stuff? :dead horse:

[/rant]
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: What the hell is going on with YouTube????

Post by bayswater »

It IS really annoying to sit through a :30 ad to see a 1:30 clip of something useful. I let it run in background with the sound muted while I do something else, and then come back when the ad is done.

I hope those who have something useful to show us will move to other platforms, and then I can just ignore Youtube like I can ignore commercial television, Facebook and Twitter.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ah, the millennials discover that while the internet may be "free," sties are often owned by corporations out to make money by advertising. Add to that the fact that your Twitter, Facebook, and pretty much any other site you visit is at the pleasure of the site owner - including this one.

Fortunately for us, our Man of Steele (AKA James) doesn't put ads in our face and when they are there, they are relevant to our work - often giving us the chance to win free stuff we can actually use in our work. Bravo!

As for the "twits" and "tweets" and the "facers" and "tubers" (and I count myself among them) we must realize that dot coms like CNN, The NY Times, and Peoria Testicle are in the hands (so to speak) of those who hold the purse strings and they will try to reach as far into as many pockets as they can. And they do!

Sorry kids, but that's the way of the world. :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I really like using an app called "ClipGrab". I just put the URL in there, and it downloads the video. I can watch it when I want, then delete it. I can also extract audio (I just use Fission for this), and listen to audio only on my MP3 player.

This is especially nice for those lectures & debates we so enjoy.

Vimeo is awfully classy.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:I really like using an app called "ClipGrab". I just put the URL in there, and it downloads the video. I can watch it when I want, then delete it. I can also extract audio (I just use Fission for this), and listen to audio only on my MP3 player.
MacTubes is also good for that.

http://macapps.sakura.ne.jp/mactubes/index_en.html
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I'll check those links.

Thanks, guys.

I'm not familiar with its history, but weren't excessive ads the biggest factor in MySpace's demise?

I wonder how far advertisers will keep going with their futile and annoying offerings. It seems to get more aggressive by-the-week.
Next thing would be that, because of all the tracking they do, they will come knocking at our doors screaming and peddling their crap. :roll:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

FMiguelez wrote: I'm not familiar with its history, but weren't excessive ads the biggest factor in MySpace's demise?
That and the fact that IT SUCKED! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: I'm not familiar with its history, but weren't excessive ads the biggest factor in MySpace's demise?
That and the fact that IT SUCKED! :rofl:
And that FaceBook did what people wanted better.

YouTube will cease to be relevant only when something that is better becomes more popular. Assuming, that is, that Google doesn't buy and bury this as yet unnamed service first.

We the users have let Google become a very big and very powerful company.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

BING! Fast and easy...

http://www.bing.com
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Ah, the millennials discover that while the internet may be "free,"
But it was never free. There were people using it and not paying, but someone else was paying. Music now, that's free, right? :D
MIDI Life Crisis

My music is free once you pay for the license.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:Next thing would be that, because of all the tracking they do, they will come knocking at our doors screaming and peddling their crap. :roll:
Run Little Snitch and set it up so it has to ask for every connection request, then examine each link. You might be surprised to see a few that are connecting to the Borg without your knowledge.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:I'm not familiar with its history, but weren't excessive ads the biggest factor in MySpace's demise?
To my mind, what really killed MySpace was their ill-fated, forced migration of users to the new 2.0 experience which was poorly-coded and and a TON of bugs that slowed the most basic activities to a crawl. Additionally, the real beauty of MySpace was the ability for users to truly make their page, THEIR SPACE. Users could make their page look however they wanted by embedding HTML and and graphic wallpapers and the like. Yes... the result was mixed. Many pages were slow to load, or chock full of gaudy color choices and cheesy graphics, but it was empowering for non-web designers to carve out "their space" on the internet and decorate it any way they saw fit.

The forced update to the new format of MySpace took much of this away, as well as made it slow as molasses. The user base fled in droves. They pretty much shot themselves in the head. Epic case of dot.com suicide.

I think I told this story before, but I was backstage once at a corporate meeting for MySpace and the management was mostly young, aggressive 30-something dot-com types that were obsessed with being cool. They trucked in sofas and coffee tables into the meeting room rather than standard chairs, all as part of the hip thing and that they were spending venture capital money like it wasn't theirs. Umm... well actually... :) The corporate culture turned me off. Company officers giving presentations dropping the "F-bomb" on stage during presentations without batting an eye. You almost NEVER see that in corporate shows.

But to my point: I remember slipping and mentioning Facebook in front of a female junior exec and I immediately cringed and apologized. Her response shocked me: "Oh... we don't see Facebook as our competition." I think they saw themselves as some sort of music/media hub. Either way, Facebook was already cannibalizing MySpace's user base and everyone I knew was migrating there. Pride cometh before the fall...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:[they were spending venture capital money like it wasn't theirs.
There's the clue. Business success was not always the goal. I had a job offer from a similar company and an interview by the finance vp. She said they had x billion in venture capital and 3 years to spend it, and then they'd either be rich or in jail. A lot of dot.com money just "disappeared."
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Hey James, tell Doris I will double-down on next month's Motunation rent if you set up Motunation so that we can easily embed Vimeo thumbnails/videos.

That's right, I will double my rent payments!!!

Example here (scroll down past the ewwwtube stuff).
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku