What the hell is going on with YouTube????

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What the hell is going on with YouTube????

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:Hey James, tell Doris I will double-down on next month's Motunation rent if you set up Motunation so that we can easily embed Vimeo thumbnails/videos.
I went and looked at that. Looked like it was enforcing a certain size which might be a good idea for the custom YouTube BB Code I already created. You can still post links without embedding, of course. I'll look into implementing that when I have some time.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:Hey James, tell Doris I will double-down on next month's Motunation rent if you set up Motunation so that we can easily embed Vimeo thumbnails/videos.

That's right, I will double my rent payments!!!
Dude, Be careful. Doris will EXTRACT that rent from you if you're so much as a minute late. You don't wanna know how.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:

That's right, I will double my rent payments!!!
Dude, Be careful. Doris will EXTRACT that rent from you if you're so much as a minute late. You don't wanna know how.
As long as she washes her hands both before and after, it is all good.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

'Nandito, brother!

I run 3 Safari extensions that've made my PooToobin' much less stressful:

AdBlock
https://getadblock.com/

clea.nr Videos
http://clea.nr/
http://clea.nr/install/

ClickToFlash
http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensio ... ktoplugin/

The clea.nr Videos link appears not to work (for me at least); it was taken from Safari's extensions pref window. I then added the link from my zipped "installation" file in case it works for you; it too won't load the page for me. If they both fail you, just Google it; there's a pooload of links available, although, again, the various pages I read provided only the first of the links above.

At any rate, the combination of these plugs has made a world of difference for me, 'Nando. Hope they help you too, brah.
stubbsonic wrote:I really like using an app called "ClipGrab". I just put the URL in there, and it downloads the video. I can watch it when I want, then delete it.
Same here, Stubbsy.

I tried all the apps I could find for this; many were marketing deceptions, withholding features until you paid to upgrade and so on. ClipGrab won the contest and has served me very well for about 3 years now. It's brilliant 'cause it simply does what it says on the tin, with no surprises. Occasionally it asks if I'd like to update, and it's a simple click to say no... just once. I then go and do it manually, grabbing(!) the .dmg from the site. I seriously love and totally rely on this app. Brilliant!
billf wrote:Run Little Snitch and set it up so it has to ask for every connection request, then examine each link. You might be surprised to see a few that are connecting to the Borg without your knowledge.
I do this, and have blocked every fb and twitter attempt permanently. I have nothing to do with those sites, yet still somehow receive eMails from lovely young lasses who heard about me on fb, such is the Monkster's infamy.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:I really like using an app called "ClipGrab".
I just tried it, because I haven't been able to get Mactubes to work for a long time. It not only works, it omitted the ad from the download. I thought that was worth pointing out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Can't imagine ever going back to the Internet without AdBlock Plus. However, I have yet to find a similar solution for the iPad. So I do have to put up with ads there.

Babz
Last edited by Babz on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just got adblock. Thanks for the tip, Monkey Man. That is going to make YT a less hate-tinged experience.

Definitely going to tell all my pals.

Babz, I didn't see a pro version, (though google did show a plus version). I just got the basic. and donated a little money.

I use NoMoreiTunes, and am looking forward to testing the ClickToPlugin extension.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz

Post by Babz »

Sorry, meant AdBlock Plus. Installed it so long ago I forgot what it was called. Need to find something comparable for iOS. I have tried a couple of wannabe-type apps, but so far nothing like ABP for desktop. Haven't checked in the last few months.

Babz

Of course, all of this touches upon the whole empty-calorie economy of crypto-advertising that forms the DNA of the Internet. The Internet killed print publication (my erstwhile livelihood of 20 years), but the fact is, advertising on the Internet, for all its long tails, doesn't work! Besides the fact that no one EVER clicks on those annoying ads, there will always be software to erase them from your experience completely. By contrast, I actually didn't mind ads in magazines, and occasionally actually bought products because of them. But, these kind of macro-economic discussions quickly turn forums tedious, so maybe we don't need to explore this can of worms in depth just now. :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:...no one EVER clicks on those annoying ads, there will always be software to erase them from your experience completely.
Except for the Sweetwater ad at the top of this forum that helps support this site! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

True dat, JS. I enter the giveaways and even use that link to get to SW when I need to order something.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Babz

Post by Babz »

James Steele wrote:
Except for the Sweetwater ad at the top of this forum that helps support this site! :)
I've actually modified my AdBlock prefs to allow that ad, and do click on it sometimes! Just entered the Sweetwater Rupert Neve Giveaway!

Babz
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

stubbsonic wrote:Just got adblock. Thanks for the tip, Monkey Man. That is going to make YT a less hate-tinged experience.

Definitely going to tell all my pals.

... looking forward to testing the ClickToPlugin extension.
Awesome, Stubbsy. I'm grateful for the feedback. Made my day.
James Steele wrote:
Babz wrote:...no one EVER clicks on those annoying ads, there will always be software to erase them from your experience completely.
Ha! I thought of this whilst reading Babz' comment too, James.
Babz wrote:I've actually modified my AdBlock prefs to allow that ad, and do click on it sometimes! Just entered the Sweetwater Rupert Neve Giveaway!

Babz
Gold star for Babz!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here