YouTube just put the final nail in the Loudness War’s coffin

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

YouTube just put the final nail in the Loudness War’s coffin

Post by SixStringGeek »

http://productionadvice.co.uk/youtube-loudness/
YouTube have been using loudness normalisation on their music videos – and they’ve been doing it since December last year. Everything plays at a similar loudness, regardless of how it was mastered. And no-one has noticed.
I think this is probably a good thing.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: YouTube just put the final nail in the Loudness War’s co

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It is unless your music doesn't sound so good when people actually listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Another thing to hate about YouTube.

From autoplay, to the way that videos automatically get queued up, to the ads, the fugly interface...
bleh, I hate it all.

That's why I use Vimeo.
Not perfect, but much better.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

BKK-OZ wrote:Another thing to hate about YouTube.

From autoplay, to the way that videos automatically get queued up, to the ads, the fugly interface...
bleh, I hate it all.

That's why I use Vimeo.
Not perfect, but much better.
not to mention it keeping track of what you "like". I'm with you!

yea, vimeo is way classier!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The auto-queue thing is annoying for me; I have to conduct new searches to find out what the heck I was watching if, say, I want to download or re-watch it.

The trick, of course, is to stop / pause before the clip reaches its end. Still a PITA 'though.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The auto-cue thing is almost as bad as the ads. If the whole idea is to choose what you watch, Google continues to get more and more pushy. It's like a super-needy false-friend that keeps trying to guess what you like. "I baked you brownies!" Yea, thanks, but I don't want brownies. "RIGHT!, Here are some kisses®!" Um. I'm not really in the mood for... "It's just that yesterday you had some chocolate, so I wanted to make sure you had chocolate..." Yea, um, could you just, you know, give me a little space?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

SixStringGeek wrote:http://productionadvice.co.uk/youtube-loudness/
YouTube have been using loudness normalisation on their music videos – and they’ve been doing it since December last year. Everything plays at a similar loudness, regardless of how it was mastered. And no-one has noticed.
The author has links to many of his other articles. All promise that he'll teach you how to deal with it -- if you give him your name and email. Uh... right... I'll pass on that.

The information is out there from many other sources. Besides, it's not like you can't upload your work to YouTube to check your mixes.

So, breaking news: YouTube levels all tracks. More breaking news: they've been doing it for awhile. Headline news: nobody noticed. Oh really?

Radio and TV have been doing it for a long time.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: The information is out there from many other sources. Besides, it's not like you can't upload your work to YouTube to check your mixes.

So, breaking news: YouTube levels all tracks. More breaking news: they've been doing it for awhile. Headline news: nobody noticed. Oh really?

Radio and TV have been doing it for a long time.
Well, I think this is a little different. With radio & TV, it was hard or brick-wall limiting, and everything was equally loud-assed, but dynamic range was reduced. It sounds like this does have the possibility that with YouTube, that a mix that has dynamics won't have to compete as unfavorably with mixes that don't.

I'm just talking philosophically. If YouTube is just using some kind of way of calibrating the overall level of something without f'ing up the relative dynamics, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If this is achieved with limiting, then it is obviously quite a different thing.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

PooToob would argue that peak "equalisation" doesn't account for dynamic-range variation between clips, meaning that the "user experience" could still be a bumpy ride.

I've been saying for a very long time that uniformitarianism is an addiction of the modern age; it has affected our outlook on the world, history and indeed (this one's the most frustrating for yours truly) science.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If this is just peak normalization, then perhaps it is a necessary evil.

Inexperienced folks often post video, but don't know how to set levels correctly. Videos with unnecessarily low levels might be fairly common. For people "consuming" media in a series, they might jack the level of one quiet video, only to have their ass handed to them by the next slammin' video in the series.

For inexperienced media creators, YouTube could provide an option to either normalize their level (by default) or preserve original volume level.

This way, if I REALLY want my video to be quiet, for example say it is a video of a quiet scene, and I just want a very low level ambience and nothing more, I'd be able to do that. As it is now, I'd have to "trick" YT somehow with either a hidden peak (out of audible frequency range) or some other method. Or I'd have to tell the viewer, "turn down your volume"

As for this being an example of uniformitarianism, I can see your point. And it is different from "standardization". In this example, YT really is changing the end user experience.

For me what is far more egregious is the way, with YouTube, FaceBook, and Google, the gateways to our minds are bought and sold with our reluctant but tacet consent. The abrupt disappearance of the concept of Selling Out is also troubling, as is the absence of our fear of a single gatekeeper.

billf

Post by billf »

stubbsonic wrote:For me what is far more egregious is the way, with YouTube, FaceBook, and Google, the gateways to our minds are bought and sold with our reluctant but tacet consent.
This is not a comprehensive list, but there are alternatives to the big three.

For example Diaspora is an open source Facebook alternative. Commercial alternatives are sites like Plurk.

Search engines: DuckDuckGo and StartPage are alternatives to Google (as are Bing and Yahoo).

Video: Vimeo, DailyMotion, Zippcast
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

stubbsonic wrote:[...]It's like a super-needy false-friend that keeps trying to guess what you like. "I baked you brownies!" Yea, thanks, but I don't want brownies. "RIGHT!, Here are some kisses®!" Um. I'm not really in the mood for... "It's just that yesterday you had some chocolate, so I wanted to make sure you had chocolate..." Yea, um, could you just, you know, give me a little space?
+1. Thanks, Stubbsonic, for the good time reading.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

stubbsonic wrote:If this is just peak normalization, then perhaps it is a necessary evil.
The cynic in me doubts it is, Stubbsy.
stubbsonic wrote:For inexperienced media creators, YouTube could provide an option to either normalize their level (by default) or preserve original volume level.
This'd be cool IMHO, but PooToob wouldn't want to place this judgement call in the hands of we mere mortals, would it?
stubbsonic wrote:As for this being an example of uniformitarianism, I can see your point. And it is different from "standardization". In this example, YT really is changing the end user experience.
I like the way you think.
stubbsonic wrote:For me what is far more egregious is the way, with YouTube, FaceBook, and Google, the gateways to our minds are bought and sold with our reluctant but tacet consent. The abrupt disappearance of the concept of Selling Out is also troubling, as is the absence of our fear of a single gatekeeper.
Amen, brother.