Any SSHD experiences

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Any SSHD experiences

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:I hadn't read that. Any news if it affects the 845 EVO or 850 EVO? (My 845 is performing beautifully)]
No evidence that I have seen that the newer 3-D drives have the stale data issue.

Here's more:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Samsu ... Down-Issue
February 25, 2015 | 01:51 PM - Posted by Allyn Malventano
The amount filled was not relevant. Stale data pre-update slowed to 50-100 MB/sec, while 840 EVOs that are still slowing post-update seem to level out at 250 MB/sec. It appears Samsung tweaked the algorithm that handles cell drift to recover more gracefully (higher speeds), but for some drives, the drift is not compensated for well enough to completely prevent the slow down (which is what the firmware / restoration tool was supposed to accomplish).
So, while still an issue, the post-update slowdown is apparently less impactful.
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I have one in my laptop and one in my desktop, both as system drives. They work fine, seem fast enough for me. I’m not someone who runs lots of comparison tests or anything like that (those days are long gone) I just try something and it either works or doesn’t and move on. If something isn’t working I get a better one, if it works I use it until it dies.

I got one for my laptop because I wanted a lot of storage, but faster, and didn’t want two drives. I got a 750G which was the biggest they had at the time. It’s been working fine for years so I got one for my desktop when it needed a new boot drive (moving to OS 10.8). I might get a larger one for my laptop if I feel like making my life complicated at some point as I still can’t have all my samples or iTunes library on it.

I don’t use SSD’s so I can’t really compare. I’m too lazy and haven’t needed an SSD yet, and I try not to open cans of worms that don’t need to be opened.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Anyone got experience in using a 27" Retina iMac (top spec) with only SSD?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nigel wrote:Anyone got experience in using a 27" Retina iMac (top spec) with only SSD?
Won't be that much different than my 2010 non-Retina except that the bus speed on the 2011-2013 is double. I understand its even faster in the late 2013 with the blade. Bus speed, though impressive, isn't everything. It won't make the Retina with a blade multiple times faster than my 2010 with an SSD.

When I boot in the morning, I open two browser windows with about 60 tabs connecting to 20 or more web sites. With the internal hard drive, it takes about 15 minutes, sometimes more. Switching to my SSD, the entire process takes 15 - 25 seconds. I describe the improvement as damned fast.

My SSD is sitting in an eSATA external dock. I can boot off either drive. The only time I access the internal HD is when I make calls to my sample libraries.

At some point, I will pay someone to install it internally and do the same to my wife's 2011. I'd buy the suction cup and spreader kit but I don't trust my ability to do the installs one-handed.

Had I not switched to an SSD, I would have sold this iMac by now. Frankly, I still like the idea of an upgrade but I'm not feeling the need, as it were.

I keep thinking that the latest 3D architecture should be producing a 2T SSD at some point. Actually, OWC has a 2T blade for the nMP and Retina iMac but that won't work for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro