The "Viral" Colour-Confusion Thing

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The "Viral" Colour-Confusion Thing

Post by stubbsonic »

I see white and gold.

FWIW, there was some hue scale test I took online and I scored 100% every time I took it. But I don't know if that's related, at all.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote:
At least we can all agree on one thing: The people who see the dress as white are utterly, completely wrong.

- Wired
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-on ... olor-dress

And then there's this.. the actual dress (down the page):

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/26/theres-a- ... this-dress
I'll be damned!!!

WOW!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If anyone remembers looking at pictures on the internet in the 1990s, the difference between color balance of PCs and Macs was annoying. Things that looked balanced and subtle on the PC looked contrasty, overexposed, and off-color on the Mac. Considering that almost all commercial graphics of the era were first produced on Macs, I'd say that the Mac was the reference for color. But I would go to great lengths to get my paintings perfectly color balanced, then post them on the net, and someone with a PC would talk about how the colors were all off.

It turns out that PCs were just as capable of subtle colors as Macs, but few people ever bothered to set their monitor configurations, and some of them (read: CHEAP ones) came with defaults that were off-the-scale bad. Also, Macs came with a very good configuration scheme, plus a default that usually worked about as well as you could get it. It may have even sensed the brand and monitor type and set it. I can't say that for sure, but there were always configurations for lots of monitor types that I never had, so those had to get there SOME Way. I'm sure Apple put them there, and if your Mac sensed a certain monitor, it probably selected that configuration. That was usually the reason for the terrible color discrepancies between Macs and PCs.

I assure anyone who is still on the fence about this, the dress — as shown in the pictures — is light "bluish" color, possibly between blue-lake and lavender, and a desaturated caramel color, but that it's going to look different to people depending on a number of factors, including what you've been looking at for the past five minutes, how much sunlight is getting into your room, the color of room lights, your monitor configuration... and even the state of your eyes, retinas, and your alcohol content. (or other intoxications)

There isn't an absolute. Period! ;)

It's the same problem we run up against when we try to imagine how the listener is going to hear our mixes, and why using the most expensive speakers on earth to mix with is probably going to ruin your mix for the average listener. That's why we use Yamaha NS10s or other mid-level monitors to check ourselves. And where do we go for testing when we burn a CD? Out to the car, of course!

It's all context dependent.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

"The Dress" has sparked all this controversy because of the availability of additional photos that show its color more clearly, and the fact that the dress itself is made in at least two different color combinations: dark blue and black (like the version on display right now at SXSW), and white and gold (like the version photographed in a very strong anti-domestic-abuse ad going around). Even people who could tell that the original photo showed a white & gold version would change their mind once shown a clear photo of the black & blue version.

This has less to do with actual color perception and more with social conventions.

Quoting Kurt Vonnegut from memory and therefore incorrectly: "You know what the truth is? It's something my neighbor says. He says something, and if I want to be his friend I say, "Yeah, ain't it the truth?"
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

So it's made in white and gold too, eh?

There you go. It's white and gold!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Oh please let this meme die now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote:Image

Clearly, Bones's white & gold shirt (above) is further proof of the continued controversy.

Besides, he's a doctor not a ... whatever it is that kills memes... anti-meme?

MIDI Life Crisis

stubbsonic wrote:whatever it is that kills memes... anti-meme?
I think that was a broadway show... Auntie Meme.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

stubbsonic wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Image

Clearly, Bones's white & gold shirt (above) is further proof of the continued controversy.

Besides, he's a doctor not a ... whatever it is that kills memes... anti-meme?
I found this absolutely hilarious. Brilliant, Stubbsy. :lol:

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MIDI Life Crisis

s far as the cat, they never know if they're coming or going

Anyone with a modicum of carpentry experience or knowledge can figure that one out in a second. Look at the way the steps are constructed. As for the cat, they never know if they're coming or going anyway.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

LOL So true, Magilla.

Is it a trick question? The cat's that standard grey / black or "shades of grey" configuration, isn't it?

Please, don't tell me it's blue.

MIDI Life Crisis

No, but it does look very sad.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM