To our friends in the NorthEast US

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

To our friends in the NorthEast US

Post by Shooshie »

How's the weather? I keep hearing about the blizzards up there, but I haven't heard anything from individual members. December 2013, we had an ice storm here which resulted in a loss of power for a week. With so many all-electric homes, most of our neighbors vacated the town and went to family's houses or somewhere until it had passed. We stuck it out, using our gas stove for most things, and just bundling up in wool. I'd take the coffee grinder out to the Prius to grind enough for a pot, as that was one of the few things we couldn't give up. I think we took coffee or hot chocolate to everyone on our block who remained at home. I also charged the iPad and iPhones with the car, which is how we kept in touch with everyone. (An AC convertor is quite handy in such times)

Our temperatures only dropped into the teens (F). I'm guessing some of you are in the NEGATIVE teens. I think the lowest we've ever had (that I can remember) in Dallas was a few degrees below zero (F). I just don't know what it would be like to be without power in that kind of weather. Which is why I'm asking you all how you're doing! Maybe you all have power. Still, the snow pileups must be amazing.

Well, here's hoping you all find something warm and entertaining to bide the time. I can think of at least a thing or two that don't even require lights!

And, spring is on its way!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cleamon

Re: To our friends in the NorthEast US

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:How's the weather? I keep hearing about the blizzards up there, but I haven't heard anything from individual members. December 2013, we had an ice storm here which resulted in a loss of power for a week. With so many all-electric homes, most of our neighbors vacated the town and went to family's houses or somewhere until it had passed. We stuck it out, using our gas stove for most things, and just bundling up in wool. I'd take the coffee grinder out to the Prius to grind enough for a pot, as that was one of the few things we couldn't give up. I think we took coffee or hot chocolate to everyone on our block who remained at home. I also charged the iPad and iPhones with the car, which is how we kept in touch with everyone. (An AC convertor is quite handy in such times)

Our temperatures only dropped into the teens (F). I'm guessing some of you are in the NEGATIVE teens. I think the lowest we've ever had (that I can remember) in Dallas was a few degrees below zero (F). I just don't know what it would be like to be without power in that kind of weather. Which is why I'm asking you all how you're doing! Maybe you all have power. Still, the snow pileups must be amazing.

Well, here's hoping you all find something warm and entertaining to bide the time. I can think of at least a thing or two that don't even require lights!

And, spring is on its way!

Shooshie
Not as bad here (NE Tenn) as some areas. Got about 6 inches of snow this afternoon and it's still coming down, and expected to continue until morning. Worse part is that layer of ice underneath. Had a few bitter cold days. We've got gas heat, but the thermostat and fan are electric. Need to get a gas log for the fireplace (chimney is blocked so we can't have a real fire). We also have a kerosene heater and a couple of days worth of fuel.
Power's holding up, although we've lost it for several days at a time in past years (nearly every year). Broke down and bought a gas generator and (knock on wood), haven't needed it since.

Hope every one is safe and warm.
Chuck
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have a friend in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood in Boston. 7.5 feet of snow in 3 weeks. His pictures are incredible... He's dug out corridors with snow piled over his head on both sides.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ouch, that's a lot of snow! And those are the kinds of stories I've been hearing, too. Where are the plows putting it all? If you live by a street, as most people do, the plow must give you a mountain to get through, just to get out of your yard and driveway! Pity the poor resident who left his car on the street when the plow went by. That car is probably going to be there till spring. It must be an incredible mess.

I wonder if anyone who normally posts here is unable to for lack of power. Sometimes that can get a little scary.

And I seem to have posted this in the wrong forum. I thought I was in the off-topic forum when I posted it. James, if you want to move it, please do!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Looked all the thru the DP manual, could not find a fix for that...... -30 c up here in TO last weekend !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

Very cold here in Manhattan and snowing, nowhere near as bad as farther north. Boston ? Unbelievable. Ski areas have list of snow if you can take -20 wind chills.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Coldest summer here I can remember, by far. Still not a single day of 40ºC or above, and only 1 above 35. We used to get 5-7 days above 40 and this has dropped steadily over the last 10 years. Most days have been 21-23.

Just saying' is all. Hope you guys are all OK up there in Freezeville.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Some of these storms are missing New England and dumping on New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. The average snowfall in PEI last night was over 4 feet. It's drifting up to 10'. There's a story of someone digging a tunnel to his car from his house. It's not clear what he planned to do once he found his car. Notice this guy lives in a town called Summerside.

http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/Loca ... ried-car/1
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Almost embarrassed to say its been a very sunny, warm and dry winter in San Diego, averaging mid 70's for the past few weeks. Basically ridiculously nice.

Wish you guys could send some precipitation our way though.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I can send you some poocipitation, Sir Markus. Oh... :oops:
bayswater wrote:There's a story of someone digging a tunnel to his car from his house. It's not clear what he planned to do once he found his car.
I'll bet he's looking for his DP manual.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

monkey man wrote:I can send you some poocipitation, Sir Markus. Oh... :oops:
bayswater wrote:There's a story of someone digging a tunnel to his car from his house. It's not clear what he planned to do once he found his car.
I'll bet he's looking for his DP manual.
Write that guy a pass! No manual/guilt for him. He can ask anything he wants.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:I'll bet he's looking for his DP manual.
I lost half my coffee when I read that. Off to make more.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
crduval

Post by crduval »

I'm just outside of Boston. Tough to shovel now because the drifts are so high; some are over my head (I'm 6'3"). I've got damage throughout my house from ice dams too (so do 75% of people in this area I would imagine).

Driving is tough. The intersections are the worst. The drifts make it impossible to see what's coming - you just have to inch out little by little until you can see what's coming or someone stops for you (or you get hit!) Some streets are so narrow that two cars can't fit abreast, so some towns have made temporary one way streets so that people don't get stuck! But the people who have it the worst are those living in town who have street parking. Its dog-eat-dog to get a parking spot. I used to live in town, and this is one of the few things that I don't miss about it!

On the positive side, its a winter wonderland. Especially outside of town in wooded areas or farm country, the scenes are right out of a Christmas card. Houses with smoke coming form the chimneys, snow on the trees, spectacular wind sculpted drifts, you get the picture.

Hey its New England, you gotta love it!
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Wind chill could hit -30˚F tonight in Chicago. Nothing new around here, but I really am looking forward to spring.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Poor crduval! Hang in there, mate.
bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:I'll bet he's looking for his DP manual.
I lost half my coffee when I read that. Off to make more.
Sorry, Stoivo. LOL