Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unless my memory is defective, I can vouch for Mike in Boston as a legit composer. We studied under the same teacher in NY. Correct me me if I'm mis-remembering Mike, but I'm pretty sure I'm right (famous last words).

As for Shooshie, I now have missile envy and to add to insult to injury, mine always explode prematurely, just before they hit the ground.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:Yeah iLok is a perfect desktop solution, it's a PITA on laptops though.
You mean because of the possibility of LOSING it? You just have to be very careful. I use a specialized app in a video-related business of mine which requires a USB hardware key and I keep the dongle in an oversized locking box along with a special hardware controller which in turn is kept in my laptop bag. I have disciplined myself to have the dongle at all times either in the laptop or in the box it's stored in and not allow myself to become distracted at any time or taken off task during that "dangerous" time in between.
Yeah exactly, and during a live show you really don't need anything else to overtly worry about besides your laptop and your guitar etc. I used to take the Logic dongle to gigs and at one point it got loose from my key chain wile I stepped out of the van and nearly fell into the rain gutter...
I don't plan on using any dongle protected plug ins in live situations because of this among other things.
It's much easier to upgrade your computer for sure using the dongle though. 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

MikeInBoston wrote:First of all, I'm not a troll. I am a member of this forum and I post semi-regularly.

Secondly, I was stating a fact.

And thirdly, if you read my post to the end and caught the "sigh", you would have realized that I felt bad that DP, my favorite DAW, didn't get the award. Why? In my mind, probably because MOTU hasn't added anything significant to their flagship DAW in a long while.

I'm looking forward to DP9, simply to get some new features, and prove to me that MOTU is still in the game. Actually, there are some features in Cubase that I would LOVE to see in DP, like (1) the chord track, (2) the letter name of the notes on the notes themselves in the MIDI editor, and, of course, (3) being able to mute MIDI notes. There are others.

Music technology is moving ahead. DAW competition is fierce. The question is: Will DP remain relevant?

Mike
All this comes with a price though, the list of people complaining about Cubase bugs has always been exponentially larger than people complaining about DP bugs. Plus Steinberg have always sacrificed stability for new features, and DP has always done the opposite, if you need the latest greatest then Cubase will satisfy, but if you can't stand crashes, Cubase will most likely have you running to other DAWs.

Plus DP9 is right around the corner peaking out at us. I'm of the mind as well that complaining about DP not having X, Y and Z features is infinitely more useful (if it is at all), within the first year of a release. I don't think it does any good when they announce that an upgrade is almost baked.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Unless my memory is defective, I can vouch for Mike in Boston as a legit composer. We studied under the same teacher in NY. Correct me me if I'm mis-remembering Mike, but I'm pretty sure I'm right (famous last words).

As for Shooshie, I now have missile envy and to add to insult to injury, mine always explode prematurely, just before they hit the ground.
That's fine. In the same spirit of free speech that prompts someone to come here to MOTUnation and post that another DAW won an award and and then imply via a "sigh" that somehow DP is in dire straits... it's my right to question the usefulness of such a post, unless undermining DP and sowing concern amongst the user base is the purpose?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Maybe I could create a special forum for posting announcements of awards and accolades for all competing DAWs like ProTools, Logic, etc?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Maybe I could create a special forum for posting announcements of awards and accolades for all competing DAWs like ProTools, Logic, etc?
Why do that? This is the off topic forum and it's posted where it belongs.

I don't know what the specific technical achievement was, but I suppose there are a few people at Steinberg that worked hard on it, and they deserve some congratulations unless we think it's a bogus award.

I'd hope we have enough confidence in MOTU and our own decision to use DP that we can recognize achievement by someone else.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

I think James was employing irony.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I was suggesting there is nothing to be ironic about.
Michael Canavan

I think this falls into the perspective category.
The initial post didn't seem to be dogging DP, but subsequent posts mentioned that the real reason was to make it apparent that DP is lagging... so you can get why me and others were quick to dog Cubase.

I'm with you bayswater in that I'm amazed and in awe of all the great major DAWs out there:
Cubase, Logic, Live, Pro Tools, Sonar etc. all of them offer truly great features, and I'm really very happy that Cubase pushes the limits all the time, because even if in mine and many other peoples opinion, it results in more stability issues, it pushes the rest to innovate as well.

Steinberg established the most persistent and easy to use cross platform standard for plug ins with VST, and you really have to respect them for doing that, Apple and Microsoft didn't get together and do it, Emagic-Logic didn't do it, and Cakewalk Sonar/MOTU DP were at that point both single platform. This opened up the market for plug in developers big time. :headbang:

If MOTU disappeared tomorrow I would think about Cubase for sure.
BobK

Post by BobK »

For what it's worth, DP 8 won an Editor's Choice award from Electronic Musician in 2013.

http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/the- ... ards/45252
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Michael Canavan wrote: If MOTU disappeared tomorrow I would think about Cubase for sure.
I wouldn't. I'd probably move over to Studio One - luckily that won't have to happen as DP is totally awesome and getting better all the time...
Getting so much better all the time
It's getting better all the time
Better, better, better
It's getting better all the time
Better, better, better
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm just going to speak my mind... that's all. I'm weary of these posts that only exist to stoke concern that DP is slipping or DP is going away because this or that DAW has some feature.

"Music technology is moving ahead. DAW competition is fierce. The question is: Will DP remain relevant?"

Answer: Yes... yes it will. Based on the past history of MOTU, that really doesn't seem to be in question. The few features mentioned really don't seem to rise to the level of anything that's going to make or break DP or justify the alarmist vibe of the post.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I'm just going to speak my mind... that's all. I'm weary of these posts that only exist to stoke concern that DP is slipping or DP is going away because this or that DAW has some feature.

"Music technology is moving ahead. DAW competition is fierce. The question is: Will DP remain relevant?"

Answer: Yes... yes it will. Based on the past history of MOTU, that really doesn't seem to be in question. The few features mentioned really don't seem to rise to the level of anything that's going to make or break DP or justify the alarmist vibe of the post.
Thing is, DP's list of features has just continued to grow, consistently with each release, over the years. If you look at just the past 15 years, the list is amazing, and yet most releases only had a few blockbuster features added, along with half-dozen to a dozen minor features which add up to and awesome app. We've seen the interface redesigned several times over the years, and the current one has been enhanced with themes and track colors that go way beyond just setting the events to a color. The most traffic we've ever had in this forum came after Andy Selby created the "mods" that persuaded MOTU to make them into a feature. Thus, themes were born. BTW, Andy has just won his third Grammy with DP, and not for themes, though I wish there were a category for which he could receive an award for his huge feature. If I'm going to live in an app for years on end, I want to decorate the darned thing to my taste. Themes and complex track and background color preferences give me a lot of control.

Some other "relevant" features over the years:
• V-Racks are ingenious, and I love being able to save them and load them into other chunks.
• Pitch control is amazing; no other DAW does it quite as well as DP without a 3rd party plugin like Melodyne.
• The Comp Tool is one of the most amazing recording tools on the planet.
• Filling audio with similar room sound to hide the seams was brilliant
• the ability to "throw" soundbites in a track, to abut with the next soundbite, is one of those things you think is a minor feature until you start depending on it.
• Track Folders have grown into a major feature and organizing principle in all the track viewer lists.
• Keyboard control has grown over the years
• Slip, Slide, Trim and Roll tools are brilliant additions. Trim has been there, I guess, but I didn't know until fairly recently that the Trim Tool works on Continuous Data! Read pages 313-314 in the DP8 manual! Give it a try!
• Click patterns: brilliant, advanced feature!
• Search: how many DAWs can locate and select all the occurrences of certain rhythmic patterns that also happen within a certain pitch range? The search feature is deep and powerful.
• Chords in Quickscribe were sorely needed, especially given that QS is in its element when printing lead sheets, where chord symbols are practically a must.

Well, this is barely scratching the surface of the last 15 years, just random features that popped in my head while writing. This list could go on for pages. Just check out the table of Contents of the DP manual if you want to see the REAL list. MOTU has announced some brilliant features in the upcoming release of DP9, too.

Honestly, when people start making lists of what DP lacks, half the features on those lists, or more, are already there. DP is so deep, it takes years to learn them all, and it takes repeated use to remember that they are there. I don't blame anyone for forgetting, but I do wish more people would give credit where it's due.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: If MOTU disappeared tomorrow I would think about Cubase for sure.
I guess I'd just keep using DP 8 or 9.
MIDI Life Crisis

Exactly. As long as you could authorize it but if their server went down there you could have a problem there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS