Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

Post by James Steele »

Well I got my electronic version of EM today and they're doing a big feature on Cubase 8 so I'll read it if I have time. Honestly, when you have so many projects in a particular DAW, that DAW really had to fall WAY behind or seriously screw up for me to jump ship. There were only two times I even considered leaving DP: Back in the early 90s when Studio Vision Pro was around and then later during the rough going in the early days of DP6. By then SVP was long gone and I tried Logjc Express and found it anything but "logical." :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Re: Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

Post by Michael Canavan »

As you all know I left DP for Logic around the time of DP2.7.
I had started using a lot more soft synths and the price difference between MAS plug ins and VST ones, plus Logics paradigm at the time made more sense to me for what I was doing. It was an impulsive move on some levels and I stuck with it mostly because Logic stabilized on OSX much quicker.
There are things about Logic that do make a lot of sense for electronic music and quickly getting an idea going. Looping isn't a menu box, it's click and drag, once you start using it, it seems really odd not to be able to do it. The piano roll MIDI editor in Logic is really quite good, same with the Event editor. There are other things that blow in Logic for sure, but suffice to say all DAWs that have been around as long as DP, Logic and Cubase have reasons beyond just brand loyalty IMO.

I really really like the concept of Chunks, though, and only DP has it. I have no idea why other DAWs haven't tried to do it themselves? except that maybe it requires some serious code to keep it from bogging down even a big set up when you have multiple chunks etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mhschmieder wrote:... but I reserve special adjectives for QBase and Innuendo... WaveGoodbyeEditor
I've always called it CueBalls, but I do love Innuendo, Mark. WaveGoodbyeEditor. Ripper! :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You mean you haven't already dung so?
Ha!

Well, I've got a spare MIDI interface, an Express 128. Haven't been able to afford any other duplicates yet. I'd rather never have to use this unit; sorta hopin' the Express XTs will never die. They've sure been the biz thus far, big bro'.

As for the audio interfaces, well, ideally I'd like to upgrade to those new converters first. Just biding my time now; I expect MOTU to somehow make them available on non-AVB units or indeed to make the latter system more accessible (read: not just through TB).

Already got the pin-on badge. Need a T-shirt or two. Got the thermal underwear. Will be ready to freeze system after the CPU upgrade (in a week or two) and that MOTU-converter progress I'm hopin' for.

Obviously you weren't serious, Magilla, but the tragic thing is I am. :shock:
sdfalk wrote:... Some stuff...
Falkster! You're still here, brother!

So glad to see you man. Awesome! :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Michael Canavan wrote:As you all know...
As I read those words It occurred to me our assumptions in that regard may sometimes be responsible for misunderstandings. I don't mean you, Michael, but generally. Kind of like people not including their machine and system specs and expecting definitive solutions.

Bottom line: we don't always know or remember.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

It is amusing to hear this news here in Motunation :)
I had a look in Cubase forums at Steinberg site and I can assure you that a I haven't see any user's thread about this award. As usual, the general forum are plenty of threads with questions about problems, plug in compatibility, OS conflicts, stability.... (Did TEC judges take into account all these issues? )
No problem, another door opens when one is shut. In my case was the opportunity to jump definitely to DP
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

buhardilla wrote:It is amusing to hear this news here in Motunation :)
I had a look in Cubase forums at Steinberg site and I can assure you that a I haven't see any user's thread about this award. As usual, the general forum are plenty of threads with questions about problems, plug in compatibility, OS conflicts, stability....
As I recall, those forums, especially the Windows forum, range from uncivil to cesspits. Anyone who might have a beef about how James runs this forum just has to spend an hour there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

buhardilla wrote:Did TEC judges take into account all these issues?
Probably not. Here is a response to a question over at BeerNuts in a discussion thread about Cubase 8 compared to Logic X which I find amusing:

Originally Posted by Amber
Can you move channels in the mixer window yet? (Yes I know you can do this in the environment)
No.

Cubase and Logic are dinosaurs in this area.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Bottom line: we don't always know or remember.
Remember what?

All I know is I don't remember, Magilla.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think people are confusing dinosaurs, monkeys, and elephants yet again.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

When I was writing for EQ and Keyboard, I was invited to review (for the latter) a new, feature-rich digital reverb from Roland. I panned it, as its big selling point was a feature that was barely audible (if at all), and the unit was expensive... I concluded by saying that you could buy an MPX-1 for less and the Lexicon blew it out of the water.

A couple days after submission, I got a call from a group of Keyboard editors asking me to clarify, which I did. I think they wanted me to rewrite the piece, but I was pretty immoveable in my dislike.

When it ran (under my byline) it had been rewritten (my rejection of the useless feature had been toned to a slight concern), and the unit had been given a KeyBuy award.

Industry awards, given by retailers to manufacturers or vice versa, are pure crap. That goes for Addy Awards, Dealer Of The Year plaques, and the TEC awards. The Roland FX unit in question was discontinued before a year passed.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Gravity Jim wrote:When I was writing for EQ and Keyboard, I was invited to review (for the latter) a new, feature-rich digital reverb from Roland. I panned it, as its big selling point was a feature that was barely audible (if at all), and the unit was expensive... I concluded by saying that you could buy an MPX-1 for less and the Lexicon blew it out of the water.

A couple days after submission, I got a call from a group of Keyboard editors asking me to clarify, which I did. I think they wanted me to rewrite the piece, but I was pretty immoveable in my dislike.

When it ran (under my byline) it had been rewritten (my rejection of the useless feature had been toned to a slight concern), and the unit had been given a KeyBuy award.

Industry awards, given by retailers to manufacturers or vice versa, are pure crap. That goes for Addy Awards, Dealer Of The Year plaques, and the TEC awards. The Roland FX unit in question was discontinued before a year passed.
Wow. That is depressing to read. Can't trust anybody these days....

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Editors sometimes have their heads up the advertisers butts.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

nk_e wrote:Wow. That is depressing to read. Can't trust anybody these days....
These days? The world operates on misinformation and more often than not, always has. That's why we have forums like this, to give the people a chance to find the truth. It's always been "buyer beware." Caveat emptor. It's the bane of the human condition, and it's why the smart people wake up one day and realize that the dumb guys just beat them at everything, because they cheat and lie without conscience.

But it doesn't stop there. Even informed people can gravitate around the wrong idea (VHS comes to mind. Cable TV. Garageband and Logic Audio) and form a cult of complacency around it, believing that its finer points outweigh its drawbacks. And to some extent that's what we all do. Sometimes there are better choices. Sometimes not.

But by all means the worst are those who know the truth while promoting the lie for personal gain. And by all means, I'll stop there before I get hammered for any or all I've said.

Shooshie

PS: I used to write for magazines, too. Press releases, Interviews, advertising. I was a performing arts agent, too. Often I had no control over how my work was being used to promote mediocrity, or even evil. (the evil stuff happened when I was asked to write about real estate companies)

I quit them all.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Shooshie wrote:
...But by all means the worst are those who know the truth while promoting the lie for personal gain. And by all means, I'll stop there before I get hammered for any or all I've said.

Shooshie
I believe Dante had a special circle reserved for those folks...

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

nk_e wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
...But by all means the worst are those who know the truth while promoting the lie for personal gain. And by all means, I'll stop there before I get hammered for any or all I've said.

Shooshie
I believe Dante had a special circle reserved for those folks...
If I recall, there were a lot of concentric circles in Dante's version of hell. If it were updated to modern times, we'd have to use the Dewey Decimal System to categorize them all! :lol:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|